Use Revolut as my main bank, but my account is frozen and I can't get them to fix it

The point is not - paying 72 quid a yr.

The point is - paying 72 quid a yr to boi given how woeful they are.

I dont mind paying for a half decent service but i do mind paying for boi.

Id go revolut (for discretionary stuff, transfers, fx) and id go aib for salary and bills.

Aib and boi both crap compared to kbc. Lets call a spade a spade. But aib slighlty better.
I've been with them 20 years. Their service is fine, much better than Ulster Bank with whom it was with previously.

I switched from KBC back to BOI recently enough and their app has much improved. I’ve no problem paying the service fee.
KBC for all their pluses had negatives as well. A low daily amount you can transfer in one transaction for starters. Their app also became worse over time. It was plagued with pop up screens when login in warning about scams or maintenance.
Even now(I realise they are winding down and need to make people aware) when I log in I have to open two pop ups then press back on the second one just to see my account!

BOI have also added biometri login as an option recently so that makes it a lot more convenient to use.

Im a Revolut user also and find them great for what I use them for. Foreign currency purchases, tapping on the phone, sending people a few quit or vice versa but I would never consider using them as a main bank.

I originally had a BOI account and closed it when the set fees came in as I had KBC for free. It was a money saving exercise as KBC were fine.

I also have a AIB account and find their app poor overall and clunky. Plus they have a daily limit of 1k or something to send to new recipients which is a real pain. I’m in the process of closing that also.

Theres no way id pay boi 6 a month (72 quid a yr!) For their awful customer service. Id 100% go with revolut instead. Im not enthused about going to aib either but i calculate theyre best of a horrible bunch.
The point is not - paying 72 quid a yr.

The point is - paying 72 quid a yr to boi given how woeful they are.

I dont mind paying for a half decent service but i do mind paying for boi.

Id go revolut (for discretionary stuff, transfers, fx) and id go aib for salary and bills.

Aib and boi both crap compared to kbc. Lets call a spade a spade. But aib slighlty better.
It's a spade alright. Will miss KBC so much :(

Do our pillar banks really need to charge current account fees at this time when they're currently making 3% interest from our idle cash.

Fair enough in a zero / negative interest rate environment the fees are justified to cover our daily banking costs.

It may be some hassle for them to increase/decrease fees annually or every now and again, but it was hassle for tax payers money being used to bail them out.

It might seem like small change to many but €72 AIB / €120 BOI annual fees is a decent chunk of change to a lot of folks.

Last edited:
Why would anyone think that they should get a banking service for free?

My AIB account is about €120 a year in fees. For which I get access to a cash machine, direct debits, credits, lodgements, online payments.

Seems like good value to me.

A lot of people who chose "free" banking with ptsb ended up paying for it multiple times over by taking out a ptsb mortgage at much higher rates than AIB.

Brendan
No, it didn't. Having your current account with PTSB doesn't stop someone from taking out a mortgage with AIB.

Having your current account with PTSB doesn't stop someone from taking out a mortgage with AIB.

Connard, you are correct, but...

Most people when taking out a mortgage approach their own bank first. And many just stop there. ptsb gives them mortgage approval and they don't shop around.

Why do you think that ptsb were doing free banking?

Brendan

72 is €6 a month....
That's 720 euro per decade. If I invested the 72 euro per year (120 per year @ 40% tax refund) into a pension fund, I would have a nice nest egg after 10 years.
Why pay when there are free options.
EBS for wages. Revolut and N26 for everyday transactions and bill payments.

Last edited:
That's 720 euro per decade. If I invested the 72 euro per year (120 per year @ 40% tax refund) into a pension fund, I would have a nice nest egg after 10 years.
Free is good, if you are happy with the service you get when a problem arises. At this point I am willing to pay for decent, accountable customer service close at hand.

Good news!
Finally the Revolut chat function became unblocked this afternoon (Sunday), after 5 days of a brick wall!

Bottom line: I now have access again to my salary, after 11 days of account suspension.

Looks like the live-chat agent from last time had posted after I was locked out saying she was passing it to another team and was marking it as resolved! I had no way to even see that. And nobody from new team ever got in touch. I just randomly checked in and discovered the chat function was working again (it wasn't yesterday).

This time, when we started the verification process again, the help agent seemed less confused.

In the end, they didn't even make me change pin at all (though last time they insisted on me changing my google password!?).

Lesson learned. Moving most of money out and will only use for small bills and incidentals. Salary never going in there again!

I set up a credit union current account on Friday afternoon. The CU app going ok so far, has biometric sign-in, Google Pay functionality and there are branch opening hours on Saturday. Might be slower with money movement, but I can plan for that, and use Revolut to actually bridge the gap and do what it's good at. I'm hoping I'll have a happy blend now?

Might do review after I know more about the pros and cons. Not really many user experience stories out there about Credit Union current account facilities.

Not many about Revolut either. Hopefully others who might be needing to make a late move from KBC will read this thread and give Revolut a miss for current account facilities.

I expect the cost of your time chasing it will exceed the return.

I found N26 a pain personally I avoid anyone or any service using it. Revolut on the other hand has replaced all our small cash transactions, or most debit card transactions.

I expect the cost of your time chasing it will exceed the return.
Chasing what?
There is practically no time involved in adding 10 euro per month to a PRSA.
A quick email to the provider..... maximum 5 minutes. It then runs automatically.

Might do review after I know more about the pros and cons. Not really many user experience stories out there about Credit Union current account facilities.

Hi Sharon

That is great news. How long did it take you today to sort it out?

This is a bit of a downside in some credit unions:

Hi Sharon

That is great news. How long did it take you today to sort it out?

This is a bit of a downside in some credit unions:

Thanks Brendan :)
It took about an hour or so today with Revolut. But a lot of chasing on my side to keep it in play. That sums up the whole chapter in general to be honest.

Appreciate the heads up on the Credit Union issues, wonder if it's all transfers or just cheques. Will find out!

Last edited:
Appreciate the heads up on the Credit Union issues, wonder if it's all transfers or just cheques. Will find out!

Hi Sharon

I have just been corrected.

The limits apply to share accounts but not current accounts.

Brendan

I don't think so. It stands to reason that if we all participate in a race to the bottom by avoiding fees like the plague (and I'm also guilty as not charged by PTSB for years) then we can expect poor customer service.

This attitude really baffles me. €6 a month for everything a current account offers is an absolute pittance.
After reading this thread and complaining about having to pay fees I've changed my opinion. €72 a year for banking services is, in the scheme of things, not much for what is provided. I have gotten use to paying little or no banking fees for basically my whole life and therefore didn't see why I should start paying them. I was annoyed paying fees to BOI when KBC didn't charge (wife keen on keeping BOI account open). For the past few years with KBC I've paid no fees but have received interest on deposit accounts and cashback from their credit card.

For the past few years with KBC I've paid no fees but have received interest on deposit accounts and cashback from their credit card.

Yes, and a lot of their mortgage holders carried on the theme and saw no reason why they should make their mortgage repayments when there was no sanction for not doing so.

Brendan

Hi Sharon

I have just been corrected.

The limits apply to share accounts but not current accounts.

Brendan
Thanks a million Brendan. I got a mail from my own CU that confirms as much, with a bit more detail. They have been very friendly and helpful.

". . . the most any member can hold in the Link Credit Union is €100,000.00. So if you have €25,000.00 in your shares you can have up to €75,000.00 in your current account. So no monthly limit yet on what comes in each month."

Great to have the clarity.

Back