Use Revolut as my main bank, but my account is frozen and I can't get them to fix it

This is not true.
Revolut operate a system of online agents who deal with problems very efficiently when they are given a clear explanation of the issues.
I have used this service a few times and on every occasion the issues were dealt with swiftly and satisfactory.
Well id say you are in the minority here and I am (so far) a happy revolut user.

Well id say you are in the minority here and I am (so far) a happy revolut user.
That's probably because I am good at clearly explaining a problem and willing to engage with the agent to add any further assistance, and then allow them some time to resolve it.
Some of the regular posters on this thread appear to have a bad attitude.
They would likely start a chat with an agent with a predetermined idea that the agent is stupid and not engage to assist in the resolution of the problem.

Last edited:
That's probably because I am good at clearly explaining a problem and willing to engage with the agent to add any further assistance, and then allow them some time to resolve it.
To be fair, having been involved for many years in technical support, both professionally and voluntarily, there is a lot to be said for this. It never ceases to amaze me how many people seemingly can't (or are too lazy to) actually ask a meaningful question while providing appropriate context and details. Some seem to assume that the support person is magically privy to everything that is in their head a priori....

Your AIB basic account will be converted to a regular current account after 12 months if the total annual value of lodgements to your AIB Basic Bank Account in the previous year exceeds the national minimum wage threshold, otherwise, after 5 years.
I'd have either use AIB current account to receive wages and then EBS/Revolut for DD's and daily transactions. This way it'd be cheaper than using Bunq.
Revolut and direct debits are not a great partnership - they paid 3 of mine for 3/4 months, then didn't pay and claimed they didn't offer the service!!!

I'm quite happy with €36 a year bank fee I'm charged.

AIB lodgements would not exceed 10k unless I get very very lucky at punchestown!!

To be fair, having been involved for many years in technical support, both professionally and voluntarily, there is a lot to be said for this. It never ceases to amaze me how many people seemingly can't (or are too lazy to) actually ask a meaningful question while providing appropriate context and details. Some seem to assume that the support person is magically privy to everything that is in their head a priori....

I used to work in tech support and it was an education, to say the least. The average person needs a lot of help accurately defining their problem. The biggest barrier to rapid diagnosis is poor communication. It has made me a much better "reporter" of issues.

But it has also made me fairly judgemental of bad/lazy service. There are plenty of poorly trained or overwhelmed "computer says no" agents out there. I think the biggest cause of this is usually bad management and ridiculous performance metrics, resulting in counterproductive behaviours. *cough* Eir *cough*

I used to work in tech support and it was an education, to say the least. The average person needs a lot of help accurately defining their problem.
While I was intimately familiar with it in practice for many years, I only recently came across the term "XY Problem".
Like on AAM where somebody asks for the best place to deposit a €10k windfall while omitting to tell us that they have a €20k unsecured personal loan at 10%...

While I was intimately familiar with it in practice for many years, I only recently came across the term "XY Problem".
Like on AAM where somebody asks for the best place to deposit a €10k windfall while omitting to tell us that they have a €20k unsecured personal loan at 10%...
Ha yes! This is so common.

The agent is under pressure to act quickly, so they take the user's reported issue at face value. They provide a solution to a problem that doesn't exist (and that therefore doesn't work). The user becomes irate or despondent and files a duplicate ticket. Another agent takes it and the process repeats.

But look at all the tickets the team got through! And the resolution time! Sure, a negative score came in but there's no contextual info and it's lost in a sea of mediocrity so what does it really mean?

Now pay me my manager bonus.

Might be stating the obvious, so apologies, but maybe the email went to your spam or some other folder?
It's ok, I didn't make it clear that I checked spam. I did.
Something was wrong with their pin update function, and in the end, the unblocked my account while by-passing the pin update step. Otherwise, I would have been locked out even longer than 11 days.

Pick the two banks with the lowest fees and have some money in both. Then if one goes rogue (like in this case you) have a back up option.
Expect poor service from all banks.
Currently I have my salary going into AIB, but all my payments go through Revolut (I started using Revolut full time (everything but salary) at the start of 2018 (nearly 6 years now, and no issues, with all spending & bills going through Revolut).
Their chat agents have been great with sorting out refunds, and issues with transactions (where as with AIB I wouldn't even bother as I find phone calls and going in branch a pain compared to just talking to a chat agent).

I recently moved my savings to Lightyear and Trade Republic to avail of near ECB rate (3/4% deposit interest) so I literally just use AIB as a temporary holding place for my salary.
I also like that if I move house and the landlord lord asks for statements, they are happy to just get the AIB one showing the salary going in (this happened a few years ago)........ and I know they should take a Revenue generated statement of salary instead of a bank statement, but some landlords/agencies just have a set way of doing things unfortunately, and you can't be picky with renting in this rental climate.

I was considering setting up an N26 account to take the place of AIB.
That way there is some redundancy if Revolut gets locked.
I'm currently trying to figure out if there is a better alternative to N26 for my salary account (like Bunq or something, and advice appreciated).

On a side note:
I also have a Revolut Business account which was a breeze to setup, and is incredibly straight forward.
With the business account you can book a video call online if you want some feature explained.
It has expensing built in, employee card management, and the card readers are pretty inexpensive (not that I'm using any of those features), but if I had a need for those features it would be great.

Last edited:
Currently I have my salary going into AIB, but all my payments go through Revolut (I started using Revolut full time (everything but salary) at the start of 2018 (nearly 6 years now, and no issues, with all spending & bills going through Revolut).
Their chat agents have been great with sorting out refunds, and issues with transactions (where as with AIB I wouldn't even bother as I find phone calls and going in branch a pain compared to just talking to a chat agent).

I recently moved my savings to Lightyear and Trade Republic to avail of near ECB rate (3/4% deposit interest) so I literally just use AIB as a temporary holding place for my salary.
I also like that if I move house and the landlord lord asks for statements, they are happy to just get the AIB one showing the salary going in (this happened a few years ago)........ and I know they should take a Revenue generated statement of salary instead of a bank statement, but some landlords/agencies just have a set way of doing things unfortunately, and you can't be picky with renting in this rental climate.

I was considering setting up an N26 account to take the place of AIB.
That way there is some redundancy if Revolut gets locked.
I'm currently trying to figure out if there is a better alternative to N26 for my salary account (like Bunq or something, and advice appreciated).

On a side note:
I also have a Revolut Business account which was a breeze to setup, and is incredibly straight forward.
With the business account you can book a video call online if you want some feature explained.
It has expensing built in, employee card management, and the card readers are pretty inexpensive (not that I'm using any of those features), but if I had a need for those features it would be great.
You could set up an N26 and a Bunq as backups. Even if you don't use them at all there is no harm as they have no fees. I use EBS as my main account. I use it similar to how you use AIB. EBS are a pain and their systems are archaic but I have it set up in a way that I never really need to log in. Wages go in, rent and savings go out. I use Revolut for day to day spending.

You could set up an N26 and a Bunq as backups. Even if you don't use them at all there is no harm as they have no fees. I use EBS as my main account. I use it similar to how you use AIB. EBS are a pain and their systems are archaic but I have it set up in a way that I never really need to log in. Wages go in, rent and savings go out. I use Revolut for day to day spending.
No harm indeed.

Revolut, N26, and Bunq seem to be the main digital banks people are using.

If you (or anyone else on this thread) has a referral link for N26 and/or Bunq I can use that to sign up.

No harm indeed.

If you (or anyone else on this thread) has a referral link for N26 and/or Bunq I can use that to sign up.
Sent you on a N26 and Bunq referral

No harm indeed.

And some of us use icard https://icard.com/

Their key fob payment is brilliant - initially I got it as a fun thing to have, very quickly I use it for all card payments. Amount over €50 just asks for pin

And some of us use icard https://icard.com/

Their key fob payment is brilliant - initially I got it as a fun thing to have, very quickly I use it for all card payments. Amount over €50 just asks for pin
What is the main benefit of iCard?

What is the main benefit of iCard?
Free, disposable payment cards, NFC payment wearables (I've a key fob).

I've bunq as primary bank, icard as day to day spending and revolut for any UK or US travel and payments from friends.

Not a great start...

1700650708357.png

Back