UPC Installation Questions

It might be simply the location of the PC. have you tried the laptop where the desktop is. Sometimes some WiFi cards are better than others.

Brought the laptop right up beside desktop and that was getting good speeds with usb adapter installed

Turned off firewall and still no joy.Upload speeds seem ok just the download speeds

Had upc on and changed the channels on the router no, changed the adapter to another usb port no

They said they will send on a usb adapter to me and see if this works but download everything on my desktop so require these speeds

I am stumped

Is the desktop USB 1.1 or 2.0?

How can I tell this not sure ?

Could it be the CPU limiting the network bandwidth(pushing data over Ethernet is a function of CPU speed)

And if so is there a way of upgrading don’t have the specs of my pc

You're not using ethernet if you are using WiFi. Besides unless its ancient I doubt the CPU is bottlenecking the download. If its a mainstream PC like a Dell, COmpaq etc it will have a model number somewhere on it. Its its a custom built try this...http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html Then look up the specs of the motherboard. You can upgrade anything. Not always worth it.

Some specs on the PC

OS

Windows Xp3

Processor
2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Main Circuit Board
Board: K8T800P-8237
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 10/13/2004

Memory Modules
512 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
Slot 'A1' is Empty

Bus Adapters

D347PRT SCSI Controller
VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (4x)
VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller

Communictions
1394 Net Adapter
802.11b/g USB Wireless LAN Adapter #2

Others
VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
PS/2 Compatible Mouse
USB Root Hub (5x)
pcouffin device for 32 bits systems

ok it looks like the latest drivers are installed checked with netgear and tried the below

Step1:

1. Log in to the router configuration page.
2. Open Internet Explorer or any other browser and access the site:http://192.168.1.1 (or) www.routerlogin.com/basicsetting.htm
By default, the username is admin, the password is password.
3. Go to WAN Setup.
4. Reduce the MTU to 1300 and apply the changes.
5. You can also try other MTU values like 1492, 1440, 1400 etc and apply the settings. Now check for the connections.

STEP2:

1. Right Click on My Computer icon select Properties
2. Click Hardware -select Device Manager
3. Click Network adapters - Select the Ethernet Adapter. Right Click on it and click Properties
4. You will be able to get the Popup of the Adapters
5. Properties Window -Click on Advanced
6. Select the transmit rate to 100Mb Half Duplex and Save the settings

I changed the MTU and it went up to a speed of 6151 but I should be getting close to 15000 I tried the others suggested and 1492 gave me this speed. When I go into devices and advanced I just have the 2 options HWprobe which is set at 000 and I changed this to 100mb and the line dropped. Other option is Network address and this is defaulted to 'not present' do I need to change these and if so to what?

So at least the speed went up but still not to what I should be getting any other ideas?

I never needed to do any of that, so I have no idea. Maybe you'd find some "experts" on the boards.ie wifi section.

Well got a Netgear Usb 2.0 Wg111v3 adapter and still getting the same speeds

So is it the PC and is it time to upgrade?

Try moving the PC to the router and try on ethernet. I'd say that would be fine. But it would be a useful to check.

If the original problem was the USB speeds/config you'll have the same problem with another USB WiFi adapter. An internal WiFi PCI card might be better idea.

Is there a way to test the USB speeds with an external drive or something. Try copying files on the laptop then the PC?

try fixing your IP address instead of using auto detect.

use

dns 192.168.1.1

This helped me, the dhcp wasn't always consistent.

View network connections
Right click on wireless go to properties.
go to tcpip in the list and set as above.

use 192.168.1.11 for the LAN (wired connection)

Desktop is up in attic so may over the weekend take it down and see if I get better speeds downstairs or if I hook it directly up to modem and see if I get any speed increase

PC that I am looking to purchase does have an internal wire card so in this case would this be a better option ?

Current PC does not have this

Have a static IP address as per Here so as I can open ports

Back