UPC Installation Questions

IrishGunner

Getting UPC(NTL/Chorus) Digital phone and broadband fitted this weekend

Does anyone know the model of the Wireless router they provide as I want to forward the ports

Also do they supply you with a wireless usb card for your pc ?

Anyone know their newsgroup servers addresses ?

Also what issues do users have with them as just want to be prepared

Sorry I'm pretty useless when it comes to techie stuff but I think the router is some Netgear model, I think. They do not provide a wireless usb card, if your machine is not wireless they see that as your problem not theirs I'm afraid. The installation is quick and easy and its best if you have you laptop/pc there and the technician will set up it for you with the password etc. if not he'll just leave you all the details you need.

A quick call to NTL (is there such a thing LOL) should be able to answer your questions or have you tried their website? We have been with them since April and touch wood so far so good. I only realised y'day that they have increased the speeds on their lines so a 2 minute phone call and an online form filled in now has me upgraded to a 20mb line for no extra cost. I'm one happy customer.

I rang their customer service and was told that I do get a wireless card ?

They did not know the 'techie' stuff so they could not answer certain questions

Have to open up ports for various reasons I wont go into here so just wanted to check model on portforward website as to how to do this

Also newsgroups but again not a question for here

Have laptop and also Desktop in attic so will check both before the installer goes

Have only one issue now. Have 2 TV points downstairs and upstairs. Current wireless modem is in another room, where phone line is. Want them to put another tv point in here so I can plug in UPC modem. Does the Upc installer run wires from existing tv point to another and if so are there wires on the floor etc or do they attach them to skirting board etc?

Thanks

I rang their customer service and was told that I do get a wireless card ?

Have only one issue now. Have 2 TV points downstairs and upstairs. Current wireless modem is in another room, where phone line is. Want them to put another tv point in here so I can plug in UPC modem. Does the Upc installer run wires from existing tv point to another and if so are there wires on the floor etc or do they attach them to skirting board etc?

Thanks

I would ask again about the wireless card - I asked about that option and am pretty sure they didn't provide one.

As for an additional TV point I would recommend mentioning this before they come out. The guy that did mine had a very limited amount of stuff with him. Also there will most likley be an extra charge for it. He might just run a cable for you... which you could do yourself.

Also check but i think the other TV points in your house will be of no use unless you have another box to use with them.

Mik

Rang them and they do supply you with a wireless card at no extra cost

Also they will put in another tv point for the modem and I wont get charged for this

I will make sure I say this to the engineer who is installing it as dont want a bill the following month for this

I've seen NTL supply a Netgear 614 and a USB WiFi stick. Maybe they change around depending on supply.

Got it installed this morning and getting the below speeds

Is this normal thought it was 20mb?

Do not supply wireless adapter even though I asked them on the phone and the said they would. They put in new pont for BB although the installer was a grumpy little so and so when I asked him to do this.So loads of more new wires in the house

Also bloody phone has to be plugged into another box not the phone line did not know this? Router is Netgear WG 614 have not checked about ports yet

Now I have to check digital box

Ok got the BB working just have to figure out opening ports etc

Question about the phone. Its plugged into Modem/ Router and old number not ported yet
Modem is in back bedroom and have other phone in main bedroom, both handsfree.

Have a tv point in main bedroom so can I hook up exisiting phone to this ? Also to keep the phone working I have to leave the modem on all the time?

Hindsight should have known that I could not put it on phone socket but did not think I would have to leave the modem when we are not in for the phone to work?

You need the modem on. The phone needs to be plugged into that. In theory you'd need to pay for every extra TV point you use. Makes far more sense just to plug a DECT base station into the modem and then add as many DECT phones as you want.

You need the modem on. The phone needs to be plugged into that. In theory you'd need to pay for every extra TV point you use. Makes far more sense just to plug a DECT base station into the modem and then add as many DECT phones as you want.

Cheers thanks for that. Yeah have to buy another phone have Panasonic DECT but have to find one stand alone with that I can add to it

So when I am away from the house for a while this has to be kept plugged in for the phone to work. If I plug it out what happens when somebody rings ?

I have a Range max netgear wirless router as provided by NTL.

The signal is excellent one side of the room to the other.

A lot of times it takes an age to get to the internet as if the dhcp is not working great.

Generally try ipconfig /release then renew
or
Go through the repair.

Seems to take much longer than the office DHCP

I have updated the firmaware on the router to the latest available.

I suspect settings everything to fixed IP may help.

Anyone come across this?

I had a similar problem before and I suspect it was something NTL were doing, though it may have been my router a Netgear 614 (v1.1 I think). However I have the problem again and this time its definately the router. Its a different router now, same model, Netgear 614 but its a later version (v5). From a trawl around the web there seems to be problems with this router overheating. Flashing to the later firmware improved it for me. But it still happens every so often. It was suggested using the router on its stand, in the vertical position, rather than flat on the desk helps with the cooling. Mine is still flat at the moment though.

...and old number not ported yet
I would chase this up. I ordered all the same as you and was asked on the phone did I want to keep my old number. I said 'yes', the guy on the phone told me it would be done at installation and €30 would appear on my first bill. I said 'fine'.

Two weeks later and my number had still not ported. I called and was told that they don't automatically port over numbers (they were 'surprised' that the sales agent would have said that to me!). You have to go online, hunt through their website to find a form, download it, fill it out and send in by good old fashioned post. Then it takes up to 21 days for Eircom to release the number.

I love Irish companies. They are so efficient :rolleyes:

Don't thinks its heat. Once its working it tends to work fine.

Seems to be only on start sorting out the IP and DNS.

More frustrating than anything else.

Don't fancy contacting NTL though better hope with the folks here I think.

Back