Unions on the run now.Would you now pass the picket?

You should never get paid when you are not available for work as a result of industrial action.

Last month the CPSU members in our department went on strike and we were informed by our personnel division if we took a day's leave we would not be paid even though we were not in that union. There was some discussion afterwards that they had no authority to do this but I don't know what the outcome was.

I obviously aggree that if you do not work because you are in dispute with your employer, you should not be paid

Its seems that the employer was not approving the days leave here, so you would have been absent without leave and in this case it would be in order for the employer to deduct wages.

Its seems that the employer was not approving the days leave here, so you would have been absent without leave and in this case it would be in order for the employer to deduct wages.

Indeed but if i go to my building and it is locked because service officers etc are off what am i to do......i made the effort and will expect my pay. I am not a union member ans will attend work.

BUT i have a problem in that my wife is pregnant and her 1st scan is due on monday. I feel if no leave is sanctioned i will have to miss the scan or go awol.

Indeed but if i go to my building and it is locked because service officers etc are off what am i to do......i made the effort and will expect my pay. I am not a union member ans will attend work.

BUT i have a problem in that my wife is pregnant and her 1st scan is due on monday. I feel if no leave is sanctioned i will have to miss the scan or go awol.

I would say that if your building is closed and you are available for work you should not be deducted.

Leave can still be sanctioned on the day and if I was the employer here I would sanction leave for this reason ie: attending antenatal class.

This may depend on your personnel section, but I think many people would view that as "bona fide" leave because it's for a particular purpose on a pre-determined day that's not really in your control. If you booked time off a while ago, it should be straightforward - if not, they may look askance at it. Speak to line manager / personnel officer for clarification, and have a back up plan (maybe it's possible to compromise on a half day? At worst you will have to take unpaid leave, as just going awol is likely to be a disciplinary offence).

I agree with Becky on both fronts.

Last edited:
This may depend on your personnel section, but I think many people would view that as "bona fide" leave because it's for a particular purpose on a pre-determined day that's not really in your control. If you booked time off a while ago, it should be straightforward - if not, they may look askance at it. Speak to line manager / personnel officer for clarification, and have a back up plan (maybe it's possible to compromise on a half day? At worst you will have to take unpaid leave, as just going awol is likely to be a disciplinary offence).[/quote]

But if i turn up and can't get into the buiding what do you do ? Its all up in the air at the moment and typical of the unions and the clowns that run them.

If you're available for work - actually available, not hoping-you-can't-get-in-so-you-can-go-to-the-scan ;) - then you should be entitled to be paid for the day. I'd be rather surprised if there are no contingency arrangements to ensure the building is open, though not knowing where you work I've no idea what type of plans your organisation / Department has.

I can't see how access to your building would be in the direct control of the unions.

If the members of staff who open up etc that is how the building would not be open.

I shall wait and see.
In the vast majority of organisations, there'd be keyholders at senior level who would be given the responsibility of opening up in such a situation. If that's your scan-attendance policy, I fear you may need to re-think :rolleyes:.

Congratulations to all union members who showed the integrity and patriotism to act in the best interests of the Irish people.
I hope the rest of us, unionised and non-unionised, and public and private sector, show the same maturity ad intelligence when we have to make decisions that may hurt us but are for the greater good

+1...i hope union members show some perspective and keep Ireland open for business, I have international clients due to fly here on Monday...wont exactly be a good first impression

Back