Ulster Bank Systems Down, Many Left Without Money

Status
Not open for further replies.
I joined the BOI back in 1970 just after the 6 month Bank Strike. As an 18 year old just out of school I was working until 11 p.m. most nights clearing the backlog of stuff. No computers then. Made a fortune.
Dropped in to Ulster Bank to pay some overdue utility bills. We were given cash and referred to our local Post Office to make our payments. Hand written receipt given to us. We tried to pay our Ulster Bank Visa bill. Payment taken but not processed there and then.
I think that there might be more going on here than they are letting on. It's getting worrying now. I have fixed account to mature soon I don't think I will be rolling it over. I will certainly be doing a manual check on the interest calculation.

Alright via online banking I can see that at least ATM transactions are up to date. Though I've noticed I can't view a standing order I had setup ages ago for a UB Regular Saver account (or it's gone)? All my direct debits are viewable, so it's just a matter of seeing whether they're going to be paid accordingly...

Im not with the Ulster bank but i have lodged a cheque to my bank account that i received from an Ulster bank customer. Does anyone know what will happen now?

Thanks Geri. But as i understand it, as Ulster bank wont be able to clear the cheque until its systems are up & running again, although the funds will appear in my account, i will be unable to access or use them?

An important point is that Ulster Bank want customers to request refunds if they have been effected. Hence, you will not get a refund by default (as per what Ulster Bank have told me).

• If you pay monthly fees, on a premium account, you should be entitled to a refund, for June and July 2012, if you request it. You have not got the service you paid for.
  • If you incur overdraft interest fees as a result of this, you should be entitled to a refund, if you request it.
  • If you incur overdraft set up fees as a result of this, you should be entitled to a refund, if you request it.
  • If you lost out on bank interest as a result of this, you should be entitled to a refund, if you request it.

There are a number of reports & claims on Boards.ie and Twitter of some Ulster Bank customers are seeing money go into their account that was meant for another account. What a mess.

Just as a matter of interest, was that 7k in the account for you to withdraw or was it a trasnfer from another account into there which had not shown up online but was visible to the staff in the branch ?

the money was in there before the problems started. but my point was that people saying they had NO access to their money is a lie and its people that couldnt be bothered going to the branch to sort something out.

not defending UB here, its a shambles what has happened and i firmly believe they have to compensate customers badly affected by this.

Day 12 of the Ulster outage (it started on Tuesday 19 June).

RTE: Ulster Bank customers still experiencing difficulties accessing their money

BBC: Ulster Outage will drag into next week.

the money was in there before the problems started. but my point was that people saying they had NO access to their money is a lie and its people that couldnt be bothered going to the branch to sort something out.

Some people really had/have no access to their money.

Consider Mr.X who banks with Ulster Bank and transfers money monthly to Mr.Y who banks with BoI. Mr. Y goes into BoI and says that he did not get the money, BoI say they need proof of payment from Mr.X (as the other banks are doing except for salary/welfare etc). Mr.Y cannot get access to Mr.X's bank account as he is abroad/has no online access etc etc and hence cannot prove payment and hence gets no money from BoI. Mr.Y is out of pocket.

There are plenty of real world examples like the above.

An important point is that Ulster Bank want customers to request refunds if they have been effected. Hence, you will not get a refund by default (as per what Ulster Bank have told me).

• If you pay monthly fees, on a premium account, you should be entitled to a refund, for June and July 2012, if you request it. You have not got the service you paid for.
  • If you incur overdraft interest fees as a result of this, you should be entitled to a refund, if you request it.
  • If you incur overdraft set up fees as a result of this, you should be entitled to a refund, if you request it.
  • If you lost out on bank interest as a result of this, you should be entitled to a refund, if you request it.

Not sure where you got that information from.
I spoke with Ulsterbank (twice) as well as my mortgage provider (who is not Ulsterbank) on any impact with regards to direct debits, late payments, standing orders, etc.
It was confirmed every time that I will not have to incur any costs or charges in relation with direct debits or standing orders or in-flight payments, and that any interest calculations will be up-to-date as well, once the system issues are sorted.

Not sure where you got that information from.
I spoke with Ulsterbank (twice) as well as my mortgage provider (who is not Ulsterbank) on any impact with regards to direct debits, late payments, standing orders, etc.
It was confirmed every time that I will not have to incur any costs or charges in relation with direct debits or standing orders or in-flight payments, and that any interest calculations will be up-to-date as well, once the system issues are sorted.

I got the information directly from an Ulster Bank branch manager and also from Ulster customers. Also, the Sunday Times, today stated that there is confusion over what will be automatic refunds and what will not be.

How can interest be automatically sorted if they pay 0% on the current account and many customers would have wired the money on to a high interest account?

The problem is that interest is often negated interest by not having access to your funds for 2 weeks. Also, interest charges are often, with 3rd part banks, sometimes foreign banks.

Ulster Bank need to come out with a clear commitment to have:
  • Zero overdraft interest charges from 19 June to 15 July. Period.
  • Zero overdraft set up charges from 19 June to 15 July. Period.
  • Zero small loan charges from 19 June to 15 July. Period.
  • A 100% automatic refund of the monthly charge on UFirst accounts for June 2012 and July 2012.
  • A 100% automatic refund of the monthly charge on UFirst Gold accounts for June 2012 and July 2012.
  • A 100% automatic refund of the monthly charge on Private Current Accounts for June 2012 and July 2012.
  • A clear simple procedure for non-Ulster Bank customers to make claims against the bank for late payment.
  • A clear way to compensate customers for lost interest at saving account rates rather than zero rated current account rates.

Watch payments in and out of your Ulster Bank account very carefully.

I have now read dozens of reports of people getting money destined for someone elses account.

There are also lots of reports of typos with money going in and out of accounts as it appears that it is all been done manually.

I think the CBI need to take a more proactive and greater role in this crisis urgently.

Are they even going to survive this mess?? A major bank out of action for the last 12 days due to a so call technical glitch with no end in sight...I don't bank with them but if I did I would leave them immediately especially after hearing on this thread that customers would have to request refunds from bank charges incurred after Ulster bank's own imcompetence. It really is sickening behaviour from a bank that has caused so much stress and upheaval to its customers.

I bank with UB and at the moment I don't intend on moving bank, while they still have free banking but I will be closing my savings account with them and will move to maybe Rabo.

My wages hasnt hit my account yet from last Thursday.
Online figures are all over the place, i actually have more in there now for some reason but i will assume it will be debited as they fix it.

Im lucky i had money in there so im ok, Visa Debit etc still working perfect but to give a time frame, salaries paid in last Thursday still not credited, although can be withdrawn with ID and payslip.

Also, the guy told me, they have no idea when it will be fixed at this time!!

What a shambles. I still have not received my (monthly) wages which should have hit my account on June 25th. Just to get a timeframe going of where they are at, is there anyone missing a payment from before June 25th (and if so what date should it have hit your account)? And for anyone that has received a payment since this mess started, what date was it due and when did you receive it in your account?

• Zero overdraft interest charges from 19 June to 15 July. Period.
  • Zero overdraft set up charges from 19 June to 15 July. Period.
  • Zero small loan charges from 19 June to 15 July. Period.

I *really* hope you don't know something we don't and it is fixed long before the 15th

I *really* hope you don't know something we don't and it is fixed long before the 15th

July 15 was simply an arbitary date to indicate that customers should have additonal time post Ulster resolution to fix overdraft issues etc. They should be given an additional short period with no fees.

What a shambles. I still have not received my (monthly) wages which should have hit my account on June 25th. Just to get a timeframe going of where they are at, is there anyone missing a payment from before June 25th (and if so what date should it have hit your account)? And for anyone that has received a payment since this mess started, what date was it due and when did you receive it in your account?

I know of multiple people who are still waiting for their salary.

I don't know how Ulster Bank can get away with telling RTE that "almost all" salary payments have been made. It appears to be a misleading statement.

I am still waiting on my monthly salary that was due on June 22.

is there anyone missing a payment from before June 25th (and if so what date should it have hit your account)?

Last transaction entry on my account was a debit on the 22/06. I was supposed to receive an inward payment on the 21/06 - but no sign of it. Same with last week - the 28/06.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back