Key Post UK State Pension - Make voluntary contributions to qualify for UK pension on top of Irish pension

From memory the process suggests an accompanying letter to provide any extra relevant information eg for listing multiple employers in Ireland. I suggest you clarify any possible ambiguity in that letter.

From memory the process suggests an accompanying letter to provide any extra relevant information eg for listing multiple employers in Ireland. I suggest you clarify any possible ambiguity in that letter.
Thank you

Hello
I have read through the forum but am aware this question may have been answered (but I cannot see it anywhere). Feel free to shoot me if I am asking an already answered question... :confused:

Was in the UK in 1996 - 2000. I have four years of contributions. ( Checked this by setting up My Govt Gateway ID etc and used my NI number)
I left UK and worked in Belfast part time whilst in college. I now live in Ireland.
I know I cannot pay for years pre 2006 but...it does say there are exceptions - one of which is being on a a Govt approved course ( not advised by Job centre) I take this to mean I'm still in the loop as my course was a Degree.
If this is the case can I apply and pay for contributions pre 2006 or am I wasting my time?

Thanks & please delete post if I am asking an obvious Q - I dont think I am.

I worked in the UK for 4 years to 1992. I am!claiming a pension from there since 60
_still working here.
Does this apply to me? Can!I top up although already getting a pension from there?

I don't understand your question, can you be clearer.

Are you claiming a UK state pension or private pension?

When you left the UK to live in Ireland, did you work in Ireland?

Have you ever paid voluntary NICs since coming to live in Ireland?

Hi There - I am hoping someone can help. I'm new to the forum here..any help greatly appreciated :)
I have 10 years of NI contributions already, I registered for MyGov ID and all that, so I can see my contribution record.
When I check online it tells me the cost of filling the gaps (from 2006 onwards) in class 3 rates - typically about £840 per year.
My question is - if I fill in and send off the CF83 form - is it possible I will qualify for Class 2 then? And if so will they then change the cost of filling in gaps on the portal?
ALso - sorry - when you do get to eventually pay - can you designate which years you are filling the gaps for?
Thanks in Advance!

Hi There - I am hoping someone can help. I'm new to the forum here..any help greatly appreciated :)
I have 10 years of NI contributions already, I registered for MyGov ID and all that, so I can see my contribution record.
When I check online it tells me the cost of filling the gaps (from 2006 onwards) in class 3 rates - typically about £840 per year.
My question is - if I fill in and send off the CF83 form - is it possible I will qualify for Class 2 then? And if so will they then change the cost of filling in gaps on the portal?
ALso - sorry - when you do get to eventually pay - can you designate which years you are filling the gaps for?
Thanks in Advance!
Hi and welcome to the forum. It’s a gold mine of useful information.

I’ve been through this process so am happy to share my experience. You are well on your way and far ahead of many other posters here.

To answer some specifics (assuming you are now living and working in ROI), yes fill in and send off CF83. Attach a letter giving details of your employment history since leaving the UK, employer names and addresses, employment dates, etc.

If there were periods of unemployment you probably should state that too. In my case I was fully employed since leaving the UK other than in 2015. I was eligible to pay class 2 rates for every year except that year which was at class 3.

Also, to qualify for class 2 rates, you must have been working in the UK immediately before you left.

The response from HMRC will tell you which NI contribution rate you will need to pay ie class 2 or 3. Presumably the online system will update to reflect any necessary changes. I can’t say as I was only able to go online after I’d paid.

Yes you can specify which years you are paying for. In fact HMRC says that you must inform them of which years you wish to pay for before any payment. I did this by telephone. Painless and efficient.

There may be other details I’ve forgotten. Good luck.

Hi and welcome to the forum. It’s a gold mine of useful information.

I’ve been through this process so am happy to share my experience. You are well on your way and far ahead of many other posters here.

To answer some specifics (assuming you are now living and working in ROI), yes fill in and send off CF83. Attach a letter giving details of your employment history since leaving the UK, employer names and addresses, employment dates, etc.

If there were periods of unemployment you probably should state that too. In my case I was fully employed since leaving the UK other than in 2015. I was eligible to pay class 2 rates for every year except that year which was at class 3.

Also, to qualify for class 2 rates, you must have been working in the UK immediately before you left.

The response from HMRC will tell you which NI contribution rate you will need to pay ie class 2 or 3. Presumably the online system will update to reflect any necessary changes. I can’t say as I was only able to go online after I’d paid.

Yes you can specify which years you are paying for. In fact HMRC says that you must inform them of which years you wish to pay for before any payment. I did this by telephone. Painless and efficient.

There may be other details I’ve forgotten. Good luck.

Kev1964​

Thank you so much! that's fantastic info.
Yes I probably didn't leave enough info in my post- I was working up until just before I left the UK - I was a partner in the company which meant I was self-employed for the last couple of years so I hope that doesn't go against me..
And yes I am living in ROI and I have worked continually since so I am hopeful I can qualify for Class 2.
That really would be amazing, it's a decent pension amount and in comparison to putting AVC's into another pension, as someone else said it is a no-brainer, the return is huge.
I was unsure about the payment procedure - sterling cheque was mentioned and bank transfer..But I suppose I will cross that bridge when I come to it.
An accountant would charge €350 to submit the form but I don't see any reason why not to do it myself.
It nearly seems too good to be true. Thank god in 1994 I couldn't get a relevant job after college and went straight to London!
Thanks again!!

The form is easy to fill in yourself. You need to put in the form work you have carried out here after you moved back. I added an extra piece of paper with information here including dates. Class 2 is better as it is cheaper as it applies to pension only. If you pay class 3 you are effectly paying for sick pay or job seekers but you will not be able to avail of it As you are not in the UK. If you are a landlord put I the years as well as this can help them decide what class to charge. I registered post the letter to make sure it arrived. I had date signed for in Jan but only put up on the system in July.

Once again Kev - thanks a million! I'm going to tackle it this weekend and see how it goes!

Apologies if this has already been asked, I would have about four years of NI contributions in the UK, spanning two periods 80's into 90's and a couple of years in the early 2000's. Is this worth progressing still, as I understand the pre 15 years window has closed?

The Bonanza continues for now it seems.

I don't understand your question, can you be clearer.

Are you claiming a UK state pension or private pension?

When you left the UK to live in Ireland, did you work in Ireland?

Have you ever paid voluntary NICs since coming to live in Ireland?
Apologies for my delay in getting back...................

I worked with the Department of Education in England so a private pension.
I did work in Ireland after leaving the UK. No, I never paid any NIC's since coming back. I'm probably too late anyway even if I can as I only worked 4 years over there and would have alot to make up???

thanks

Never too late.

Follow the steps in the key post. Deadline has been extended again to april 2025.

Hi All,

Two quick questions (hopefully)

Im in early 40s and have 4 years of contributions.

left NI/UK in feb 2005 (was on jobseekers for 1 month) and started work in ROI feb 2005 immediately after leaving. Have worked non stop ever since in 2 different jobs (one after other).

Q1 - I am currently classed as Class 3 but I think I should be Class 2, can anyone advise? (I assume I need to send off the form to explain & apply)
Q2 - If I am rejected and stay Class 3, is it still worth it with only 4 yrs contributions and a shortfall of 13k to make up for previous years (+ about 10 years or 8k of additional payments to make)

The way I see it is to make up the full 31 years I would be paying about 23k but after 3 years I will have made this back in pension payments? But Im not sure if I am getting it right and if there are any other considerations.

Money down the drain if anything happens :( before age of 70?

/S

I'm sure DannyBoyD will correct me if he thinks I'm wrong, but I fear the fact that you signed on for Jobseekers prior to leaving will scupper your chance of getting Class 2.

If I'm correct you must demonstrate that you were in employment in the UK up to the time you left, and that you commenced new employment on arrival here.

I have a few more months to hear back but I'm somewhat nervous about leaving my UK employment on "X" date but only starting my new employment 11 days later, ie not immediately.

@scabbers

And just to point out when you're talking about another 31 years, I presume you're thinking that takes you to 35.
That won't necessarily get you the full amount.

The 35 years is only relevant if you started paying NI after 2016.

As you started before that, you could need anything from 30ish to 43ish. Depending on how much you were earning , and whether or not you were contracted out.

Back