Key Post UK State Pension - Make voluntary contributions to qualify for UK pension on top of Irish pension

The determination for your eligibility for class 2 is completed at the time you elect to pay voluntary contributions, as evidenced by the information that is requested by DWP.
That’s correct Danny and it can be different year by year. It’s not either all class 2 or all class 3. In my case I had a combination of the two based on my working history.

And of course that is only up to the point in time that you apply to pay retrospectively.

The second consideration for many people is for contributions going forward. Will they be class 2 or 3? Does TrishaC win a prize? :)

The second consideration for many people is for contributions going forward. Will they be class 2 or 3? Does TrishaC win a prize? :)
Quite possibly! But they might have to pay the courier €50 to deliver it ;)

Joking aside; on the assumption that you remain in Ireland, my understanding is that if you were assessed as class 2, you remain class 2.

Moving back to the UK & working there for a time, might change your status; ultimately that decision will be for the DWP.

But the decision is made at the time of payment; I don't believe you will get to retirement, fire in your pension claim & have a demand for money come back to you.

That's assuming you didn't tell any fibs at the time that the DWP subsequently find out about, if you're not honest, then all bets are off.

What class are you paying currently?
I haven’t paid anything yet, I’ve submitted my CF83 and will get a response by January 2024. I’m hoping I’ll get the class 2 rate as I’m currently employed. I’ll be 64 next March though and am considering my options. I know I can’t claim the U.K. pension until I’m 66 but I’d like to keep paying into it until then.

Apparently there is someone in LA charging four and a half grand to handhold people through this process

Apparently there is someone in LA charging four and a half grand to handhold people through this process
A friend of mine earning well into six figures is paying a professional for advice and to fill in his form CF83.

My friend is then double-checking the professional advice with me. I'm tempted to send an invoice too:)

Just got a letter from HMRC for my spouse. The CF83 form was received on 7th November 2022 and the letter was dated 11th July, just got here a tad over 2 weeks.

Spouse has 4 years of paid NI credits and can buy back 17 years up to 2022 for €824 - Class 3, then pay a few more until he's 66 in Oct 2026.
We have until 5th April 2025 to pay, we could actually pay now. I know he is unlikely to get a full Irish state pension, he's in the 30-39 band of yearly average contributions. I feel it's worth a potential £129pwk/€150pwk at today's value and the fact that within 3 years he have his money back, he just wants time to think about it.:rolleyes:

The payback period is a good way of evaluating if it is worth buying NICs, but I think a better way is to look at how much it would cost to buy an annuity that provided the level of income of the pension with guaranteed uplifts.

I've seen estimates in the region of 250k for a full UK pension.

Just got a letter from HMRC for my spouse. The CF83 form was received on 7th November 2022 and the letter was dated 11th July, just got here a tad over 2 weeks.

Spouse has 4 years of paid NI credits and can buy back 17 years up to 2022 for €824 - Class 3, then pay a few more until he's 66 in Oct 2026.
We have until 5th April 2025 to pay, we could actually pay now. I know he is unlikely to get a full Irish state pension, he's in the 30-39 band of yearly average contributions. I feel it's worth a potential £129pwk/€150pwk at today's value and the fact that within 3 years he have his money back, he just wants time to think about it.:rolleyes:
Can I ask if he is currently paying PRSI in Ireland? I’m wondering why he has to pay class 3 rather than class 2 rate?

HI TrishC, he is paying Class 3 as immediately before leaving the UK he was in full-time higher education.
The HMRC rules say you have to be working immediately before leaving the UK, to get the Class 2.
I'm fine with that. He got 3 years of university education for free and didn't have to pay back his student loan as he fell below the salary threshold when he started back at work in Ireland and then his loan debt was expunged as he aged out.

HI TrishC, he is paying Class 3 as immediately before leaving the UK he was in full-time higher education.
The HMRC rules say you have to be working immediately before leaving the UK, to get the Class 2.
I'm fine with that. He got 3 years of university education for free and didn't have to pay back his student loan as he fell below the salary threshold when he started back at work in Ireland and then his loan debt was expunged as he aged out.
Thanks for your response. It’s a complicated system and it’s helpful to know the different rules governing the Class 2 and Class 3 categories. I was working immediately prior to leaving the U.K. in 1994 and continue to pay PRSI in Ireland so I’m hopeful that I’ll qualify for the Class 2 rate.

TrishC, you are like me. I worked right up to before I left England and I was able to pay Class 2 contributions, which I expected.

TrishC, you are like me. I worked right up to before I left England and I was able to pay Class 2 contributions, which I expected.
Thanks again Yam1960, that’s what I’m hoping for too. I’m scheduled to get a response from them in January 2024. I’m half expecting them to withdraw the offer or narrow down the criteria when they realise just how many people are applying!

withdraw the offer or narrow down the criteria
Unlikely at this point for anyone currently in the system.

Thats not to say there may be changes for new entrants further down the line.

For now I think its a pretty safe bet, once you are registered / paying contributions.

Is the address your previous UK address or your Irish address? Has anyone a pic of a properly filled out form they could share? ….save me 4 grand….:)

If this is the CF84 form - remind me which question number?
Yes, CF83, It asks for your UK address in Q3, so I assume this is your last UK address, you have moved to Ifeland so I assume that is your Irish address in Q7 and 8, and it asks your employer, which I assume is your current employer in Q14 and 15? Or is it your employer when you were in the UK?

In section 4 it asked about self employed/employment abroad…..I left that empty as not self employed, albeit I am employed by a UK entity that I am paid from, obviously following Irish tax requirements.

If there are any errors in a submission, will they come back and request clarifications?

Back