Key Post UK State Pension - Make voluntary contributions to qualify for UK pension on top of Irish pension

DannyBoyD

Summary
If you lived in the UK for at least three years and worked there for at least some of this time.

You can make backdated contributions of National Insurance for up to 18 years which will cost you either £163 for each year purchased or £824 for each year purchased.

The UK state pension is £185 a week or £9,620 a year - and increases every year.
Each year purchased entitles you to an extra 1/35th of the UK State pension or an extra £185 a year.

Yes, that is right. For a once off payment of £163 or £824 now, you could get an extra £185 every year after retirement.
And you can continue making contributions up to retirement age.

This is separate from any entitlement you have to an Irish pension.

But from July of this year, you will only be able to go back 6 years, so if this applies to you, apply for it immediately.

Update: now extended to April 2025, but you should still apply immediately.

If you are eligible, this is probably the best pension investment you can make, make it a priority to check it out.

To whom does this post apply?
If you have worked in the UK for at least 3 years and paid National Insurance at any time in the past; then moved / returned to Ireland. This applies to you.

It does not apply to you if...
You have never worked in the UK / paid national insurance.

What age do I have to be?
Not age limited. You can make the additional payments at any age as long as you qualify.

What is the benefit of making voluntary contributions?
Entitlement to up to 100% of UK State Pension when you retire, in addition to whatever Irish State Pension or private pension that you might have.

The exact % you get will depend on the number of years of coverage you have.

Tax is payable in Ireland on all income in the usual way.

What is the downside?
Struggling to find one. It might be a bit of a faff to get started, but set aside an hour on a Sunday afternoon & get it done.

If you qualify, do everything you can to make the contributions, if you don't you'd be leaving money on the table.

How do I go about it in practice?
First register online, ideally using your biometric passport & a smart phone. If you don't have a biometric passport, there are other ways around it; but the passport is by far and away the easiest option.

You will need your National Insurance number, search your old paperwork. If you still can’t find it go here: https://www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number

Start here to get your Gateway ID: https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record

Click on ‘Start now’ and then under ‘New users of Government Gateway’, click on ‘Create Sign in Details. You might find it easier to do this on a laptop/PC make sure you have your phone and passport handy as well.

Once you’ve registered you can check your NI record and see what gaps you have and how to make payments.

How many years can I go back?
Right now you can make backdated contributions as far back as 2006 i.e. 18 years but from July 2023, you will be only able to make a maximum of 6 years' backdated contributions.

UPDATE: Deadline extended to April 2025

What’s the urgency?
The opportunity to make backdated voluntary contributions will close this year. After the deadline you can only go back 6 years. The orginal deadline was April 2023, it was extended to July 2023. But don’t put this off, life has a habit of pushing things out of our minds, do it now!

Having backdated the contributions, do I continue making them from now on?
Yes, until you have a total of 35 years' contributions which will give you the maximum pension.

How much does it cost to make a voluntary contribution?
Most common is either Class 2 or Class 3 contributions: Class 2 will be cheaper, but even if you are assessed as Class 3 it's still worth doing.

Class 2 Annually: £163.80 (GBP) - £3.15 per week
Class 3 Annually: £824.20 (GBP) - £15.85 per week

Which will I pay: Class 2 or Class 3?
Living and working abroadClass 2 - but only if you worked in the UK immediately before leaving, and you’ve previously lived in the UK for at least 3 years in a row or paid at least 3 years of contributions
Living abroad but not workingClass 3 - but only if at some point you’ve lived in the UK for at least 3 years in a row or paid at least 3 years of contributions

Applied before and was rejected?
Between November 2017 and April 2019, HMRC’s guidance was incorrect. It said all these conditions must be true. If you did not apply or your application was refused because of the incorrect guidance, you may be able to pay at the original rates. Include a cover letter explaining your situation with form CF83.

How long do you have to contribute for to qualify for the maximum pension?
If you have 35 years contributions you get 100%. Less than 35 yrs and you'll still get a payment but not 100%. Even 10 years of contributions gives you around €60 a week at the current rate.

Each qualifying year gives 1/35th of the full amount or £185/35 = £5.29

No. of Years contributionsWeekly pension available
35 years£185
25 years£132
15 years£79
10 years£53

These are examples.
To work out your entitlement you multiply £5.29 x Number of years Contributions.
So 12 years contributions would be £5.29 x 12 = £63.78 or just shy of €73 per week.

How much is the UK pension at present?
£185 (GBP) per week.

Do I get more if I am married?
I can't see any additional payment listed for a dependent spouse.
Having said that, if both partners worked in UK etc., then both can pay the voluntary contributions and both can claim at age 67.

Does my spouse get it after I die?
Believe the answer is no, unless you claimed your UK state pension prior to 2016 which is when the UK rules changed.
(there's a lot of detail there)

Other useful things to know
Claiming your pension
UK state pension pays out at age 67. Its not automatic, you have to submit your claim to get your payment

Making payments
I have used bank transfers in the past, making my best estimate for a Euro to GBP conversion. I’ve overpaid a very small amount just to be on the safe side. Others have used Revolut successfully and I think I’ll try that myself. Unfortunately you can't use DD from an Irish Bank. Wise (previously TransferWise) has also been recommended.

Reminders:
Once you are in the system, you will get a reminder every year to pay your NI

Tip:
Keep a paper record of everything in a separate folder, particularly if you are a few decades away from retirement. Stuff goes missing with house moves / decoration etc.,

Worked example from Brendan
I left college in 2003
I worked for 5 years in the UK from 2003 to 2008
I have been working in Ireland for the last 15 years.
I am now 43 years old

I qualify for Class 2
I will pay £163 a year
I can go back 15 years, so it will cost me £2,500
I will then have 20 years contributions.
I pay £163 a year from now on for the next 15 years, so it will cost me another £2,500
So total cost to me is £5,000

Then from age 67, I will be entitled to a full UK state pension £185 x 52 = £9,620 per year.

Last edited:
Less Frequently Asked Questions

Website says Class 3, I think it should be Class 2

Complete the CF83 Form, add a covering letter with all your details and that you believe you should be able to pay Class 2; given how long they are taking to reply, I'd send it by recorded delivery.

Once you have proof that you applied before the deadline, they will honour that & you can make your back payments.

There's a company online offering to help sort this out for me.
If you are finding the UK registration tricky, find a friend or relative to help. Or post here & we'll do our best to answer any questions.

If the website / registration defeats you, theres nothing wrong with doing it the old-fashioned way with an envelope and a stamp.

There's absolutely no need to pay anyone to do this.

I worked for less than 3 years, can I still apply?
The UK website says you must have lived in UK for 3 years & have been working before you left. Other posters were able to be accepted to pay Class 3 - see this AAM thread https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/credited-uk-ni-contributions-as-a-teenager-why.216240/post-1663150 (here).

It's worth the cost of a stamp to make a claim & see what comes back.

Can I use my UK NI payments to top up my Irish pension?
Yes that is possible, however do your sums first.

Everyone's situation will be different, but most people will do better to do the voluntary NI contributions in the UK and claim both pensions when the time comes.

Brexit/EU membership/ UK rejoins
All irrelevant in this context

Can I pay some years and not others?
Yes, though I'm not clear why you would want to do that. If you can get to the max 35 years you should do so if you can.

Should I complete CF83?
Yes. Pen, paper, envelope, stamp. Ideally send it by recorded delivery.

UPDATE Feb 2024:
There's an online CF83 form now

I haven't used it myself, but as long as you get confirmation of submission, I think it will be fine.

If you need to add any other documentation, do it the old fashioned way.

If you have any queries about how to complete the CF83 form, read this guidance note.

Combined pensions on retirement can't exceed 2/3 of your final salary
This refers to occupational pensions. UK state pension won't impact on any private pension entitlement.

I have an unusual work history / worked some years & not others / self-employed / ran away to join a circus
Complete CF83 and add a cover letter - the worst they can do is say no and you can always try an appeal.

UK pension system changed in 2016. How does that affect me?
Anyone with employment history from before 2016, is on a hybrid system of the old, and New state pension. It's important to check your own personal forecast if at all possible & ensure you get the max pension available to you

Last edited:
This thread got very unwieldy so I have moved some of the discussions into separate threads - please do not ask about these issues in this thread.

If you ask about these issues in this thread, your question will be deleted.

Last edited:
I read this in the FT

Changes in the deadline apply to anyone who reached or will reach the state pension age from April 2016 onwards. It followed a recent surge in enquiries to government agencies from individuals seeking information on how much they needed to pay into the system.

So it does not apply to people who reached retirement age before April 2016. ( What is retirement age in the UK?)

What about a typical Irish person who is in their 30s today who worked in the UK for 5 years after leaving college?

Does it apply to them and how much would it cost?

Brendan

( What is retirement age in the UK?)

What about a typical Irish person who is in their 30s today who worked in the UK for 5 years after leaving college?

Does it apply to them and how much would it cost?

Brendan

You can retire when ever you want but UK state pension pays out at age 67.

To answer your Q2. Yes it applies and cost per year is posted in the key post.

I don't think thats quite right, even if you've retired you can still buy back years.
Do you mean you can still buy back years after reaching state retirement age, or do you mean retired as in finished working? Can you buy back years after you are already in receipt of a partial pension?

Do you mean you can still buy back years after reaching state retirement age, or do you mean retired as in finished working? Can you buy back years after you are already in receipt of a partial pension?
This is whats on the UK gov site

"If you’re below State Pension age, contact the Future Pension Centre to find out if you’ll benefit from voluntary contributions.

If you’ve reached State Pension age, contact the Pension Service to find out if you’ll benefit from voluntary contributions."

I hope I am not missing the point here.
This does apply to people who have not yet reached pension age?

Brendan
If you are under 67 (UK state pension age) it would be pretty much a certainty that you'll benefit from paying the voluntary contributions.

If you are over 67, it might or might not be worth your while.

If you register on the Gov site, you can see all your NI payments and anything that's missing and it will tell you how much more you might get if you pay the missing years.

I have just posted my cf83 form today. My circumstances are worked in Northern Ireland and have three full years ni contributions. Then got paye role in republic immediately after and commuted across border for 10 years before moving to republic where I now reside permanently since 2016. Anyone any idea do the cross border years qualify for class 2 voluntary ni contributions?

This is whats on the UK gov site

"If you’re below State Pension age, contact the Future Pension Centre to find out if you’ll benefit from voluntary contributions.

If you’ve reached State Pension age, contact the Pension Service to find out if you’ll benefit from voluntary contributions."
Thanks. I guess the situation is that if you've reached state pension age and haven't claimed the pension yet, you can still make voluntary contributions. I doubt you can make contributions to boost a pension once you have claimed it, but it's worth asking.

you will need to create an account/government gateway using your passport. Once that is sorted log in and click on the link that says "check your national insurance contributions" - then it lists all the years of contributions. Click on any year to see details and it will tell you what you have paid/need to pay/or too late to pay.

Complete the CF83 Form, add a covering letter with all your details and that you believe you should be able to pay Class 2; given how long they are taking to reply, I'd send it by recorded delivery. Once you have proof that you applied before the deadline, they will honour that & you can make your back payments. In the meantime start saving as you'll have to make the back payments in a lump sum.
Thanks so much for the advice, sounds like a good plan. I was going to pay someone to do it but if I can do it myself so much the better! So if I am reading it right you don't have to pay with the application, just wait till they come back to you with what they think you owe? I really appreciate the help!

Thanks so much for the advice, sounds like a good plan. I was going to pay someone to do it but if I can do it myself so much the better! So if I am reading it right you don't have to pay with the application, just wait till they come back to you with what they think you owe? I really appreciate the help!
Absolutely don't pay anyone!

You don't need to pay NI contributions just yet until they come back to you.

Back