Key Post UK State Pension - Make voluntary contributions to qualify for UK pension on top of Irish pension

One you log in, look at account menu tab on top right hand side, there is a check progress section, click on that, but that is where it appeared for me. It doesn't say what form or anything but I have only sent them the CF form.

For reference, in case it's useful for others.

18 May - I posted my form (from London as I happened to be there for a few days)

30 May - It was delivered to HMRC, according to the Royal Mail tracker

7 June - It appeared on my HMRC account as being received on 30 May

16 January 2024 - When it says I can expect a reply!

(Plenty of time to save!)

I just read in the Irish Independent the cut off date has been extended again until April 2025.
"The British government has announced that the deadline for people to plug the gaps in their National Insurance (NI) record to boost their UK state pension has been extended to April 2025"

I just read in the Irish Independent the cut off date has been extended again until April 2025.
"The British government has announced that the deadline for people to plug the gaps in their National Insurance (NI) record to boost their UK state pension has been extended to April 2025"

Does this mean that if you apply in Jan 2025 you can still buy back to 2006 or is it still a maximum of 16 years.

Now that the deadline is extended does that mean you have longer to make the payment?

For example, I'm expecting to hear in January 2024 that I'm entitled to buy back 16 years at Class 2, so a total of roughly 3 grand.

Rather than paying one lump sum, am I able to pay a smaller lump sum (let's say enough to cover 7 years) and then buy one additional year each month during 2024?

Does this mean that if you apply in Jan 2025 you can still buy back to 2006 or is it still a maximum of 16 years.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...nsurance-contributions-extended-to-april-2025

The official statement regarding the extension to 2025 includes the following paragraph, which still references 2006.

"The deadline for voluntary National Insurance Contributions from April 2006 up to April 2017 was originally 5 April 2023. In March, HMRC extended the deadline to 31 July 2023.

The extension will mean men born after 5 April 1951 or women born after 5 April 1953 have more time to check their records and decide whether to pay voluntary contributions to make up for gaps they may have in their National Insurance record from April 2006."

Just checking on my HMRC account and it says Date Received 27/04/2023 which makes sense as I posted by registered post on 19 April. Status is showing as "In Progress". However, Form Type is "Online"? Surely that should be postal or am I missing something?

Just checking on my HMRC account and it says Date Received 27/04/2023 which makes sense as I posted by registered post on 19 April. Status is showing as "In Progress". However, Form Type is "Online"? Surely that should be postal or am I missing something?

I'm only speculating here but I suspect the process has been digitised by HMRC,
Each application form is taking, up to , several weeks to be recognised as delivered, even if it goes by registered post. Your delivery was quite quick, it was nearly a month before my application appeared on the Gateway as delivered.
They may be collating all forms at a central delivery depot, digitising them and submitting them for processing by their own online systems.

For the record HMRC received my letter and CF38 22 October 2022.
I received a reply today 21st June 2023.
So 8 months.

My original letter does not show on my UK Gateway Account and it still isn't, but I still got the reply.

(Impatience had gotten the better of me, and I'd literally posted another CF38 and letter yesterday by registered post!)

Hi there, I worked as a teacher for three years in the UK between 2010 and 2014. However I cashed out my UK contributions in 2018 as I was under financial pressure. Can I still take part in this scheme? I'm a new user on this site, so sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there, I worked as a teacher for three years in the UK between 2010 and 2014. However I cashed out my UK contributions in 2018 as I was under financial pressure. Can I still take part in this scheme? I'm a new user on this site, so sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.
When you say you cashed out your contributions, I take it you mean that you cashed out contributions to an occupational pension scheme?
I did something similar; I worked as a Civil Servant for a couple of years and I (foolishly) took a refund of my contributions when I left.
Anyway, none of that matters - this is based on N.I contributions, and nothing to do with occupational pension schemes.
You should go and get a Government Gateway Account and check what your record says - most likely it will show 2-3 (or 5-6) years of contribution.

For reference, in case it's useful for others.

18 May - I posted my form (from London as I happened to be there for a few days)

30 May - It was delivered to HMRC, according to the Royal Mail tracker

7 June - It appeared on my HMRC account as being received on 30 May

16 January 2024 - When it says I can expect a reply!

(Plenty of time to save!)
System now saying I should expect a reply on 12 September. And that they're currently processing forms received on 13 March.

Guessing they must have received a significant number of additional staff!

Less time to save...

When I apply for my Irish pension, do I have to tell them that I’m applying for a U.K. pension as well? Or can I keep them totally separate?

Back