Key Post UK State Pension - Make voluntary contributions to qualify for UK pension on top of Irish pension

Has anyone been able to register for a Gateway ID if HMRC have your maiden name but passport is in married name. To change the system details, I can apply by logging in with my gateway ID, so it’s circular. I see some people had some luck verifying after a few goes but I think the issue for me is that my NI/HMRC surname and my passport surname are different. I tried their online virtual agent and it didn’t have an answer. I’m also worried the phone line will be expensive, so wondering if anyone has been through this scenario and has some advice. Thanks in advance! ☺️

Has anyone been able to register for a Gateway ID if HMRC have your maiden name but passport is in married name. To change the system details, I can apply by logging in with my gateway ID, so it’s circular. I see some people had some luck verifying after a few goes but I think the issue for me is that my NI/HMRC surname and my passport surname are different. I tried their online virtual agent and it didn’t have an answer. I’m also worried the phone line will be expensive, so wondering if anyone has been through this scenario and has some advice. Thanks in advance! ☺️
I have no advice but I am having the exact same issue. I am hoping HMRC may update my record once they get around to reviewing my CF83 form. Unfortunately it looks like it will be months before they get to my paperwork so it won’t be a quick fix if they do update my record.

My wife rang the HMRC helpline and they changed her name on the phone, once she gave her NI number and dob.
She was then able to register online, using the face recognition app and her Irish passport.
She did have to wait about 45 minutes on the line and it cost about 6 euros on the phone bill. It might be the simplest way to do it. Once you get through it seems to be fairly straight forward. She was able to register on the Gateway within a few hours.

I thought I was clued in to these matters, but this one has completely passed me by.

I worked in UK from 2001 to 2005 and presumed would get nothing at retirement in terms of state benefit as I'll have built up full Irish state pension by that point (which I presumed would override any UK entitlement).

Have registered on HMRC site (very easy!) and it says I have 8 years paid.

Printing the form and sending it off (by recorded delivery!) immediately. But looks like a c.€1000 payment now and c.€200 yearly payment for next 21 years until I hit 67 is going to payout roughly €15k per year for a €5k outlay!

Mind blowing, and complete gamechanger for my retirement planning. Although, recognise it could be taken away again at the stroke of a pen.

This all seems like complete madness by the UK government....but going by their track record, hardly without precedent!

Thank you everyone on this thread for such excellent insights.

Thanks DannyBoyD and all who have contributed to this thread. We got the details for payment for my husband back, I sent it in November. Most years were at class 2 but a few where he was out of work during the recession were at class 3.
I rang Newcastle this morning, phone answered immediately ( they are quite today apparently) I got a really helpful lady who talked me through payment through international bank transfer. She gave me IBAN and BIC and account name and i had to put in reference which was NI Number followed by IC and surname. I completed it today in the bank, they wouldn't process without bank address and account address but I could google both... so fingers crossed. She took account of the years I was paying on the account.
I sent mine a week earlier and I haven't heard back yet but she said it should be reviewed within the month and to call back to check. I intend to call back next week to ensure transfer went through.

Anyone have experience in determining how long it takes for them to confirm eligibility and which class you’re entitled to once the CF83 has been delivered?
I assume that’s identified on the national insurance site or how do they get in touch?

Thanks DannyBoyD and all who have contributed to this thread. We got the details for payment for my husband back, I sent it in November. Most years were at class 2 but a few where he was out of work during the recession were at class 3.
I rang Newcastle this morning, phone answered immediately ( they are quite today apparently) I got a really helpful lady who talked me through payment through international bank transfer. She gave me IBAN and BIC and account name and i had to put in reference which was NI Number followed by IC and surname. I completed it today in the bank, they wouldn't process without bank address and account address but I could google both... so fingers crossed. She took account of the years I was paying on the account.
I sent mine a week earlier and I haven't heard back yet but she said it should be reviewed within the month and to call back to check. I intend to call back next week to ensure transfer went through.
Wow, nearly 6 months. I will not be holding my breath!! Thanks for your update, helps the rest of us!!

As a matter of interest, did the response give options for paying individual years or just paying for all of them?

Also, does it give you a deadline for paying?

They'll write to you re back payments.

You'll be given a date to pay it by.

My dim memory was that I had a year; so you could potentially make part payments, as long as you have everything paid by the deadline.

Start saving towards it now.

Once the back payment is taken care of, you'll pay annually to keep up to date.

They'll write to you re back payments.

You'll be given a date to pay it by.

My dim memory was that I had a year; so you could potentially make part payments, as long as you have everything paid by the deadline.

Start saving towards it now.

Once the back payment is taken care of, you'll pay annually to keep up to date.
Cool. On the basis that they're taking 6+ months to reply plus 12 months to pay gives me another 18 months.

Cool. On the basis that they're taking 6+ months to reply plus 12 months to pay gives me another 18 months.
I wouldn’t want to rely on that

Taxpayers will have until 31 July 2023 to make voluntary national insurance (NI) contributions going back to April 2006. The government has announced that contributions made in this window will be at the 2022/23 voluntary NI rates.

It is normally possible to make voluntary NI contributions for the past six tax years, to top up any missing or partial years of a taxpayer’s NI record. If a taxpayer does not have enough full years of NI contributions, this may affect their entitlement to the state pension, as well as other benefits.

There is an extension currently in place that allows individuals to fill gaps in their NI contributions history from 6 April 2006 to the present date via voluntary contributions. This was due to end on 5 April 2023.

The government has now announced that the extension will end on 31 July 2023. Contributions made between 6 April and 31 July 2023 will be at the voluntary NI rates for the 2022/23 tax year of £15.85 per week. This allows taxpayers more time to identify and plug historic gaps in their NI record.

From 1 August 2023, the timeframe for making voluntary contributions will revert to the usual six years. From that date, it will be possible to make contributions going back to the 2017/18 tax year only. Contributions will be made at higher voluntary NI rates of £17.45 per week. These higher voluntary NI rates were due to apply from 6 April 2023, but will not apply where payments are made by 31 July 2023 under the extension.

until 31 July 2023
As long as the application is made by 31st July, the deadline will be deemed to be met.

Its very unlikely that DWP will get to issue requests for payments for several months after that and the date for payment (from my memory) was pretty generous.

Having said that, I'd plan to have the money ready / saved up.

@Marc links are better than copy and paste.

As a matter of interest, did the response give options for paying individual years or just paying for all of them?

Also, does it give you a deadline for paying?
They listed all of the years and the class/ amount to be paid next to each. We obviously paid all the class two and a couple of partial years as priority and then assessed which years at class 3 he would need given that he still will have a few years working so didn’t need them all. I told lady on phone which years we were buying and she referenced this on his account so they knew what the bank transfer related to. She couldn’t have been more helpful.
Maybe I read it wrong but I assumed I had to pay it by 31st July.
I’ll check that again when I ring yo confirm money received next week

Anyone have experience in determining how long it takes for them to confirm eligibility and which class you’re entitled to once the CF83 has been delivered?
I assume that’s identified on the national insurance site or how do they get in touch?
My husband got his back early April and form was sent mid November if that’s any help. On his online account it says complete instead of in progress but no other information has been updated on the online account. Even down to the class he should be paying for each year. All reference class 3 online but he got a large number at class 2 detailed on the letter he received

Hi all.
Much to my surprise I received a letter today from the UK pension advising me that I can top up my UK pension.
As I turned 66 on the first of January this year I thought I had finished with my voluntary contributions.
Looking at the letter the top up is from 10/04/2022 to 31/12/2022 for the sum of £119.70.
I intend to take it up. Anyone else been able to do this over the age of 66?
I know in Ireland contributions over retirement age don't count towards your pension, though of course this is for last year before I reach 66.

Both myself and my wife have our cover letters done to go with our completed CF83 forms.

I would love a bit of clarity before I post (by registered post) on some uncertainties I have in the Form and letter

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I provided the address I lived at immediately before leaving the UK and my current address in Ireland. Assume that's what's required?

I am a bit unclear still as to when I paid my last NI contributions so I have referenced an approximate period in the cover letter. I would have thought it would coincide with my last month of paid employment in the UK. Anyone have other guidance on this?

I had a short gap between leaving UK employment and starting employment in Ireland; I am opting for paying Class 2 contribution so hope the short gap doesn't preclude me from doing it. Any thoughts on this?

Lastly, I am unclear how to pay backdated and future contributions. I have chosen the annual payment option and asked for further guidance. Does anyone know will the HMRC just write to me to make the payment?

Thanks in advance for all the helpful advice on here;

Lastly, I am unclear how to pay backdated and future contributions. I have chosen the annual payment option and asked for further guidance. Does anyone know will the HMRC just write to me to make the payment?

Some helpful guidance from HMRC on one of their forums here

I am sorry to hear that you have been unable to speak to an advisor, our lines are extremely busy at present.
Please note, before deciding to make any payments to HMRC, you must complete an application form – CF83 to apply to pay voluntary National Insurance contributions whilst living abroad. This can be found on the GOV.UK website, please see the following link - Social Security abroad: NI38

Once your application has been processed, you will receive a reply from HMRC confirming if you are eligible to pay Voluntary National Insurance contributions.
If you are eligible, and you have ticked the box to request a shortfall for previous years on your application form, (part 7, question 25) a shortfall table showing previous years that you can pay will be included with your reply (please note – your application form must be received by 31/07/2023 for tax years 2006-2007 to 2016-2017 to be included on the shortfall table).

There will also be information on how to pay included on the letter.
Information on how to pay can also be found in the following link - Pay voluntary Class 3 National Insurance please see the section headed ‘Overseas Payments’

However, before making any payments to HMRC, you must contact the International Pension Service (+44 (0) 191 218 7777, lines are open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm) to confirm that paying voluntary National Insurance contributions for a particular year, will increase your pension.

When you are ready to make a payment, you can either contact HMRC by telephone (+44 19 1203 7010, lines are open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm) to advise which year/years your payment is for, alternatively you can write to HMRC to tell us what your payment is for. Please see address to write to below:

National Insurance contributions & Employer Office (NIC&EO)
International Caseworker Department
PT Operations North East England
HM Revenue and Customs
BX9 1AN

I have no idea.
All I know that in 2016 my pension forecast was £33 a week.
Topped up 14 years at a cost of €2,176.
My pension is now £139 a week which exchanged into euro's this month, comes to €640.

Back