Key Post UK State Pension - Make voluntary contributions to qualify for UK pension on top of Irish pension

Thanks @DannyBoyD
The bit you put in italics was the genesis of my question - I was trying to understand what info, if any, was sought in this regard from @I'm Nobody

New question:
Just wondering is the 1957 fixed or does it increase by a year each year?!

Thanks @I'm Nobody

Were you asked anything about your links with the UK (as per the Eligibility criteria guidance)?
I was asked if i had any family in the UK, which I do.
I asked the man on the phone what does that mean, he said he wasn't sure himself.
But one person he was dealing with, said their dentist was in the UK.
It is a movable feast, this year it will 1958.

Indeed.
The amount you get is based on when you were born and your circumstances between 18 to 24 September 2023. This is called the ‘qualifying week’.

The amounts listed include a ‘Pensioner Cost of Living Payment’. This is between £150 and £300. You’ll get this extra amount in winter 2023 to 2024.
If you live alone or no one you live with is eligible for the Winter Fuel Payment
You’ll get either:

£500 if you were born between 25 September 1943 and 24 September 1957
£600 if you were born before 25 September 1943

I think it means if you are 66 or older between these dates you qualifying for the winter fuel payment.
The man on the phone said some of the questions were badly worded.
Looking at this,

If you live alone or no one you live with is eligible for the Winter Fuel Payment
You’ll get either:
£500 if you were born between 25 September 1943 and 24 September 1957.
£600 if you were born before 25 September 1943.
My wife doesn't qualify, so does that mean I will get £500?
I will update when I hear back.

(Say, for example purposes, for someone living alone and born in 1955)
I would imagine they would be entitled to £500. But there might be more conditions to go though.
Apply and find out before March 31st.

I know.
As the man on the phone said, he wasn't sure what some of the questions meant, or maybe what the answers should be.
and he didn't sound like a newcomer to the job.
Hopefully I will find out soon.

Got my letter today, having applied on 06.06.2023. I worked from 1987-1994 but they gave me 10 qualifying years. I can add years from 2006-2024 for €3,500. Very happy with that. The letter outlines payment methods, but there is no 18 digit reference number, which they say is required to make the payment.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I’ve read through this really useful thread but have hit a wall. My history is that I worked in the U.K. from 2002 - 2004, just over two years in total. However, it spans three tax years.

So I registered with the UK government gateway portal and was able to access my my pension forecast and National insurance record. My national insurance records showed I had (by 2023):
  • 6 years of full contributions
  • 17 years to contribute before 5 April 2039
  • 17 years when you did not contribute enough
And it lists 2002/03, 2003/04, and 2004/05 as full years. I must have also received the 3 years credit to make up 6 years. So far so good. I sent in my CF83 form and cover letter in May 2023 on this basis, assuming I’d qualify for class 2 contributions.

I received my response by post today (letter dated 7th March 2024). Disappointedly, the letter I states I do not meet the conditions needed. I’m assuming it’s on the last point i.e enough national insurance contributions qualifying earnings factors for three years since 6 April 1975.

I’m at a loss, as this contradicts my national insurance record on the HMRC portal, which gives the option to buy default class 3 contributions since 2006!

Has anyone else had a similar scenario? IMG_7671.jpeg

Last edited:
What can I say? HUGE thank you @DannyBoyD and all the other contributors here and on the other threads.

I got my reply this morning and to my surprise my application to pay class 2 has been accepted fully.

To say I am surprised is an understatement: I was a student in the UK just before I left and came back to Ireland to continue my studies. I only started working a few years later. So I applied to pay class 2 for at least the years I was working here.

It turns out I can buy back all the years @ class 2. Just in case I got the letter in triplicate (3 envelopes).

Next step is to call them. Any idea how I can call the UK without spending too much? I don't have a landline. My GoMo is ~25c per minute. Most other networks have similar charges. Tescomobile is 4c, but I have to spend €15 for the SIM, top up and it stops after 28 days if I don't renew. Lycamobile is my last hope... Has anyone tried any apps like mytello or tuoolani?

What can I say? HUGE thank you @DannyBoyD and all the other contributors here and on the other threads.

I got my reply this morning and to my surprise my application to pay class 2 has been accepted fully.

To say I am surprised is an understatement: I was a student in the UK just before I left and came back to Ireland to continue my studies. I only started working a few years later. So I applied to pay class 2 for at least the years I was working here.

It turns out I can buy back all the years @ class 2. Just in case I got the letter in triplicate (3 envelopes).

Next step is to call them. Any idea how I can call the UK without spending too much? I don't have a landline. My GoMo is ~25c per minute. Most other networks have similar charges. Tescomobile is 4c, but I have to spend €15 for the SIM, top up and it stops after 28 days if I don't renew. Lycamobile is my last hope... Has anyone tried any apps like mytello or tuoolani?
Congratulations! That's great news for you. I've used Mytello for my calls to HMRC. Sound quality is not always as good as a normal call, but it works & its a fraction of the cost.

Got my letter today, having applied on 06.06.2023. I worked from 1987-1994 but they gave me 10 qualifying years. I can add years from 2006-2024 for €3,500. Very happy with that. The letter outlines payment methods, but there is no 18 digit reference number, which they say is required to make the payment.
Hey, I made this mistake when trying to set up a payment from my bank account yesterday. You do not need the 18 digit reference number if you are paying from overseas. Read the information on the website again and make sure you are reading about overseas payments. I've copied what it states on the HM Revenue website below for you -

Overseas payments​

Use the following details to make a payment if your account is overseas:

• account number (IBAN) - GB49 BARC 2020 4830 9447 93
  • Bank Identifier Code (BIC) - BARCGB22
  • account name - HMRC NIC receipts

Reference number​

Use your National Insurance number followed by ‘IC’, your surname then your initial. If your bank limits you to a certain amount of characters, you should use your National Insurance number followed by ‘IC’ and as much of your surname as possible.

Example
If your name is Anne Jones, you’d write the reference as QQ123456AICJONESA

Thank you, I’ll give that a go.

I have another question, do I do the transfer in euros, using the exchange rate on the day or can transactions be done in GBP?

Thank you, I’ll give that a go.

I have another question, do I do the transfer in euros, using the exchange rate on the day or can transactions be done in GBP?
I sent it in GBP from an AIB branch. I also paid their bank charges which were about 7 euros.

Can I ask if anyone knows if the following scenario qualifies, as when I log into HMRC portal it says I've 3 full year contributions.

Worked in the UK for mainly summer periods over 3 years. Was a student so worked for 4 months, 6months and 4 months in consecutive years. Do you have to have worked for full calendar years or does this still qualify?

Also, like a lot of lads I mainly worked on building sites. I remember getting a form, SC60 from each sub contractor I worked for. If anyone knows from dealing with them if this was self employment or employment that would be helpful as well. I recall getting tax back when going back to college each year.

Any guidance appreciated.

Any idea how I can call the UK without spending too much? I don't have a landline. My GoMo is ~25c per minute. Most other networks have similar charges. Tescomobile is 4c, but I have to spend €15 for the SIM, top up and it stops after 28 days if I don't renew. Lycamobile is my last hope... Has anyone tried any apps like mytello or tuoolani?
I use an app called Yolla to call friends and family in the UK all the time. For the most part I have found it quite good.

Back