Key Post UK State Pension - Make voluntary contributions to qualify for UK pension on top of Irish pension

....I was a bit concerned because I'd worked in USA for a while straight after leaving UK and then had been unemployed for 4 months after my return to Ireland. I'd laid all that out in my accompanying letter and gave details of my employment in Ireland since (and included my Irish PPS number also).

@Mayo1969

Congrats! How long was the gap between living the UK and starting to work here?

They subsequently asked me for a copy of my PRSI statement of contributions to prove that I was eligible for Class 2 NI.

@ohrose

Congrats also! How long does it take to get a PRSI statement?

Regarding getting a prsi statement - once you have a myGov id you can apply online and should receive it within a fortnight or so in my experience.

@Mayo1969

Congrats! How long was the gap between living the UK and starting to work here?

@ohrose

Congrats also! How long does it take to get a PRSI statement?
I think it is available online as in when you request a digital copy it appears in your inbox attached to your myGovid if memory serves me right. I didn't receive it in the post. It was all done online with myGovid.

Would anyone be willing to share their experiences of using Revolut for transferring NI contributions other than it worked for them. What I mean is, some form of walkthrough of the steps they took, things to note / not forget and any issues about any aspect of it.

Would anyone be willing to share their experiences of using Revolut for transferring NI contributions other than it worked for them. What I mean is, some form of walkthrough of the steps they took, things to note / not forget and any issues about any aspect of it.
I haven't made a payment yet, but planning to do so via Revolut too.

Was thinking maybe of making my 2023-2024 payment via Revolut when I get that letter in April. This would then be a practice run for the much larger sum accounting for 17 years worth of backpayments which I'm planning to do in December.

I am still waiting to hear from the authorities, application went in around last July. I currently have 10 years contributions in UK, hoping to secure cheapest possible additional years, up to the max.

Worked example from Brendan
I left college in 2003
I worked for 5 years in the UK from 2003 to 2008
I have been working in Ireland for the last 15 years.
I am now 43 years old

I qualify for Class 2
I will pay £163 a year
I can go back 15 years, so it will cost me £2,500
I will then have 20 years contributions.
I pay £163 a year from now on for the next 15 years, so it will cost me another £2,500
So total cost to me is £5,000

Then from age 67, I will be entitled to a full UK state pension £185 x 52 = £9,620 per year.

Is there an option to just pay for the full thing i.e for future, and not have to every year for the next 15 (in this example). For the sake of locking everything in, forgetting about it

Hello there – I am an Irish national currently living in Spain. I moved to Spain in 2003, worked here for 12 years and then moved to the UK in April 2015 – returning to Spain in April 2022 (my UK contract ended on April 30th 2022 and my next Spanish contract started on May 1st 2022 – so no gaps).

I understand applicants can apply to pay voluntary NICs as far back as tax year 2006 to 2007. However, I assume this only applies if the 3+ years in the UK was BEFORE 2006 i.e. in my case I can only apply to pay voluntary contributions from 2022 onwards. Is that correct?

(Apologies, this feels like a dumb question but worth double-checking as its not entirely clear to me – and I couldn’t find a clear answer on that on this forum or gov.uk).

Thank you.

OK – thank you. Part of my confusion was because I submitted 2x CF38 forms (I had concerns the first didn’t arrive) and this month (March 2024) I received 2 separate but differing responses.

• Both letters state: “Our records show you have 7 qualifying years up to 5 April 2023.
  • The 1st letter states: “We’ve accepted your application to pay voluntary Class 2 NICs by annual payment” – this does not appear on the 2nd letter.
  • The 1st letter only lists the tax year 2022 to 2023 as being eligible for voluntary NICs in a table with the header “Class 2 NICs shortfall rates”. The rate indicated is £3.15 per week as expected – although only for 18 weeks. This is consistent with your response.
  • The 2nd letter lists EVERY tax year from 2006 to 2007 up to 2021 to 2022 (so including the 7 years that I have already paid) as being eligible for voluntary NICs in a table with the header “Class 2 NICs shortfall rates”. The rate indicated is £15.85 per week as expected – or £824.20 per year – which would equate to the Class 3 rate.
So, from your response, it would appear I should assume the first response letter is correct and the 2nd one is completely wrong.

I intend to pay Class 2 NICs for every year until I reach 67. However:

• There is no 18-digit reference number on either letter.
  • Both letters state “as an overseas customer you’ll need to quote your National Insurance number when sending any payments to us. Please do not quote any other reference shown on our correspondence… “
  • When selecting “Pay Class 2 National Insurance” on gov.uk I am prompted for the 18-digit number.
Do I need to call the Future Pension Service to resolve this?

I think the fact that they have separately processed two separate applications has caused some confusion. So yes, I would contact them and get the two cases merged.

Hi all, a heads up to people who were born before 25 September 1957.
You can apply for the winter fuel payment.
The last date to apply is March 31st for the winter just gone.
I phoned this morning, go though straight away and it took 11 minutes.

Telephone: +44 (0)191 218 7777
What to prepare before you call
Before you call, you will need to know:

your National Insurance number
your bank or building society details
your BIC and IBAN numbers
the date you were married or entered into a civil partnership (if appropriate).

If you live abroad​

If you do not live in the UK, you’re only eligible for the Winter Fuel Payment if:
  • you moved to an eligible country before 1 January 2021
  • you were born before 25 September 1957
  • you have a genuine and sufficient link to the UK - this can include having lived or worked in the UK, (my italics) and having family in the UK.
The key bit here is yr age & the date you moved abroad.

Back