Best Buy Travel Insurance

CCOVICH

Thanks to Brendan for undertaking this research.

This is based on a variety of discussions on Askaboutmoney and an article in the June 2006 issue of Consumer Choice magazine.

There is no clear and easy answer to which is the best value, so here are some sites where you can get quotes:

For annual multi-trip cover
justcover gives discount to VHI members
getcover gives discount to VHI members
VHI if you are a member especially if you have an existing medical condition
Your local Credit Union
AIB Gold Visa - may have travel insurance included
good for hazardous sports - but not covered by Ombudsman scheme
www.ryanair.com but their approach to dealing with consumer complaints might not be compatible with settling insurance claims.

The AA, which is cheap for other insurance, seems very dear for travel insurance. However, they are good value for people aged over 75.

For single trip cover
www.ebookers.ie but not covered by the Ombudsman Scheme
www.getcover.com
www.justcover.ie

Travel agents are not covered by the Financial Ombudsman scheme so you are on your own if you have a problem with a claim.

Book your flight with your Credit Card - there is often some insurance attached to it and if the airline goes bust, you get your money back from the Credit Card company.

Get your cover to start immediately you book your holiday, so that you can avail of cancellation cover if necessary.

Annual multi-trip policies are the best value if you are taking a few holidays a year.

All policies have different cover limits and terms. Don't just go for the cheapest price - check what is covered.

Re: Best Value Travel Insurance

Hope it's OK to add a reply to this very useful post

There's a Danish company called International Health Insurance ( http://www.ihi.com) who offer a multi trip world policy that covers practically all hazardous activities. AFAIK the only exclusions are professional motor sports and trips to Iraq (without prior approval).

The reason I mention it is that practically all other companies exclude accidents while on a motorbike, and many holidaymakers rent out motorbikes or scooters, not realising that they are probably not covered for their own medical expenses, repatriation etc in the event of an accident.

However note that they don't offer a full travel insurance, just health insurance abroad to meet medical costs. So no cover for lost baggage, delayed flights etc. Note also that it's a Danish company but governed unter Spanish law I think. So if you had a problem with a claim it could get very tricky.

Mods, if this belongs in another thread/forum, please move (and disclaimer, I've no interest in, or affiliation with, IHI).

Persius said:
So no cover for lost baggage, delayed flights etc.
Or even more significantly - no legal/liability cover?

Thanks CC, Brendan.

I have used [broken link removed] for travel insurance. I find them very competitive.

There was a key post in insurance or travel about a year ago it was fairly comprehensive I seem to remember.

Ps I heard Brendan on the the Matt Cooper show last evening talking about travel insurance - excellent performance!

aj

old travel insurance thread
travel insurance for people with diabetes

ClubMan said:
Or even more significantly - no legal/liability cover?

True, perhaps I should have mentioned that as well.

In the case of hiring a motorbike abroad, you are usually forced to take out the rental company's legal/liability cover for accidents on that motorbike (correct me if I'm wrong). Also with many risky sports the sporting association which you may be a member of, or the school that it teaching you the sport, will have liability cover for any accidents caused whilst partaking in this sport. In both these cases you typically do not have any medical insurance to cover your own costs for medical treatment or repatriation (worst case of your corpse).

Of course you will need to check this carefully rather than just assuming that liability and other aspects are covered by the other insurances mentioned.

I've used for travel insurance in the past, both for single trip and multi-trip policies, they do deals on health insurance as well, which is handy if you are a vivas member.

I've also done a few quotes on another site QuoteMe which seems to use a similar system

One of the people in the previous thread mentioned by ajapale, Cornmarket are still very competitive. I emailed them recently for theirs and it was €73 for worldwide cover for a couple with no VHI... although we didn't buy as we were in a hurry and their T&Cs weren't available.
We went with justcover in the end: not the cheapest, but best value based on T&Cs.

I got worldwide travel insurance with VHI for €49 for the year.

Just made a claim with Blue Insurance for a small amount to cover X-Ray and Medicine while in Spain, they seem to do everything possible to put you off claiming. They want original Tickets, boarding passes, medical history, medical receipts, your private Health insurance policy number. Then they send you a form with alot of questions which your G.P. must fill in, so you have to incurr more expense. I wouldn't mind if it was a sizable figure but it's under 350 euro. Anybody have this experience ?

I know absoultely nothing about BLUE, but I do know that the cheapest insurance policy is not always the best. there is more than price, service and ease of access or contact is always a plus. remember INDEPENDANT were writing business at great (that means low) rates, but when they went belly up, many businesses were left uninsured after paying premium.

www.worldnomads.com is also very usefull if you are undertaking a journey with a number of destinations but dont know where you will be going from one place to the next...you simply update your itenerary as needs be by accessing your online account.
The site is part of the lonely planet network and is quite unique in the type of cover it offers. Quite reasonable premiums aswell as quite a good level of cover.

Justcover is doin free ski insurance with its mutitrip policy at the moment €36 euro for the year with ski insurance isnt bad. No sure how realiable etc they are though

is providing worldwide annual multitrip cover with winter sports included for e79.50 for a family

Last edited by a moderator:

www.ebookers.ie seem to be doing the best deal that i can find (discounting ryanair who are a little cheaper and there is the lure of a free flight) and their gold cover includes golf/winter equipment and very high medical cover. has anyone claimed through their agents before? hopefully i won't have to but....

Under NO circumstances should you take out AIB's travel insurance.
Even with 10% off.
AIB's travel insurance is underwritten by Ace insurance and you can save
up to 20% by going direct to ACE yourself.
Exact same cover for less.

http://aib-travelcover.ina-box.co.uk/premium.asp?region=world&who=family

[broken link removed]

There was an article in the Indo some months ago and AIB tried to explain
their rates by saying they were always reviewing their rates but there was somebody on the end of a phone line to talk to 24/7 but Ace also had that so that arguement was knocked on the head.

I've used Ace but never had a claim so no idea of what's happens when you need to claim but I'd imagine it''s the same as with other insurance companies.

comparing ebookers and ace it seems to me that ebookers wins. i'm looking at worldwide annual multi-trip insurance and going for the gold option costs €73 compared to €71 for ace but you get double the medical cover and every other benefit is significantly higher than ace's.

Just made a claim with Blue Insurance for a small amount to cover X-Ray and Medicine while in Spain, they seem to do everything possible to put you off claiming. They want original Tickets, boarding passes, medical history, medical receipts, your private Health insurance policy number. Then they send you a form with alot of questions which your G.P. must fill in, so you have to incurr more expense. I wouldn't mind if it was a sizable figure but it's under 350 euro. Anybody have this experience ?
My one and only experience with another underwriter was very similar. I suspect that it is not unusual for them to request detailed info. Perhaps there is an element of dissuading casual/frivolous claims. I don't know...

What about annual travel insurence with added motor car cover ?? Any recommendations

For travel insurance Brassington have a great family package, 68euro for the year, all dependant children up to 23 yrs. All Winter sports/activities are included in the policy.

Back