Best Buy Travel Insurance

Re: Best Value Travel Insurance

Be advised that Getcover do NOT cover loss of prescription spectacles be they sunglasses or otherwise.

Also when you tell them that you will not use them again they will tell you " that is up to you".

Proof that the the cheaper option is most ofter not the best one

I have always bought multi trip family travel inusrance. I have never made a claim from it I have private health insurance and I really wonder of what value this travel insurance is I am really only interested in making sure that everyone has adaquate health cover when Abroad and we have this with our health insurance so what does it really cover is it something like if your bag is stolen?

do not use gotravel.com for insurance - when making a claim I realized I should have paid extra for a better company... what a bunch of cowboys

Multi trip do UK Only

Last edited by a moderator:
I got mine with HIbernian Avia which was very reasonable for annual multitrip €44 and unlike vhi you dont have to be a health member

I got mine with HIbernian Avia which was very reasonable for annual multitrip €44 and unlike vhi you dont have to be a health member

€33 for an individual for annual cover in Europe with Hibernian Aviva.I can remember paying well in excess of that for a 2 week package holiday!

My employer pays for my VHI MulitTrip but I'm off to the states next month & need insurance for Mrs Frash & the two kids.
What's the best deal out there for them for just this holiday?

If you have VHI then there's no question -get the VHI annual worldwide multi-trip for your family.It costs almost the same as a two-week USA trip.

I been looking to buy travel insurance and am thinking of the credit union has anyone used them

If you have VHI then there's no question -get the VHI annual worldwide multi-trip for your family.It costs almost the same as a two-week USA trip.
I am a member of VHI and always buy travel insurance (not necessarily from VHI). I read an article recently which suggested that there is no necessity to take travel insurance if you are already covered with health insurance. I always have both, am I right in doing this?

Ulsterbank travel insurance - AVOID

A word of advice re Ulsterbank travel insurance - avoid it. After having bought a travel insurance from them all I can say is that I haven't dealt with such a incompetent and irresponsible bunch in a long time.

Here is my story. A month ago I got a standard travel insurance from them for a 1 week holiday under the sun. It is bad enough that they don't give you the details of the policy cover until you buy it (I had asked), but at least you'd expect to receive the documents soon after you pay. Not the case.

10 days and no documents in sight, so I called them and the girl said "oh, there was a glitch in the system but I will send everything ASAP".

A week later - still no documents. Another call - "I don't know why they were not sent. Some glitch in the system. Your policy is fine and I will send everything today".

A week later - still nothing. Another call - "my system just crashed. I will call you within 5 minutes". I left my number, but no one called.

Now I am running out of time before my holidays. So another call. The guy says "Your policy have not been validated for some reason. Don't know why. But I will validate it and send everything today". I take his name and his extension and mention that I want to talk to the supervisor, so he takes it seriously and FINALLY I get my documents in post a couple of days later.

So.. first lesson - with Ulsterbank Insurance it takes a month and 5 calls to get the policy documents. A lot of work for your own money.

But yet another call was needed because the policy document says that we are going to Europe even though we are going to Northern Africa. The brochure vaguely mentions that their "Europe" seem to cover "bordering Mediterranean countries", but I am calling them to confirm this. What a surprise - they guy on the phone is adamant that I need a Worldwide cover and not a European cover that they put me on. I am asking how this is possible, after I told them where I go on at least 3 occasions, and refer to the brochure and ask him to double-check. So he goes away and finally confrims that yes, their "Europe" also covers "Northern Africa".

If that's what it takes to get insurance from them, I can only imagine what it is like to make a claim with them.. :)

P.S. Ulsterbank Insurance is quite separate from Ulsterbank Banking. I am not bashing the Banking - I've been quite happy with it for a very long time.

I am an insurance guy and the two companies I find best from claims and underwriting are "top travel insurance" and "allianz", most firms now give you discounts if you have health cover.

Top travel insurance even let you print your own documents so you don't have to wait for them

Any update on the best travel insurance for 2013?
Multitrip , Europe, have private health insurance.

Any update on the best travel insurance for 2013?
Multitrip , Europe, have private health insurance.

Just did a bit of looking and multrip get positive reviews and price competitively,never used them before but took out insurance for a family trip to Spain in July.

Though its only when ever thing goes Frank Spencer that you find out how good they are,so looking at previous users experience is a helpful indicator.

http://www.multitrip.com/ie/

Reviews:

http://www.trustpilot.ie/review/www.multitrip.com

Are there any that have an option for car cover abroad? I had this with VHI but my medical insurance is not with them any more. Thanks,

Back