Best Buy Travel Insurance

Re: Best Value Travel Insurance

I used to have the AIB Gold Visa travel insurance. However I had to make a medical claim once and the excess was very high, so I go practically nothing back.

I now use Blue Insurance - you can buy it as a standalone annual policy through any Budget Travel office. Cost for annual policy, Europe, for two adults is €59.xx, if you have BUPA/VHI/Vivas.

Cheapest isn't necessarily the best - as I found out! Read the details on cover provided, any excess and the small print!

Yes, ive used Justcover.ie before several times travelling to Europe and Beyond.. very cheap..

www.worldnomads.com is also very usefull if you are undertaking a journey with a number of destinations but dont know where you will be going from one place to the next...you simply update your itenerary as needs be by accessing your online account.
The site is part of the lonely planet network and is quite unique in the type of cover it offers. Quite reasonable premiums aswell as quite a good level of cover.

i'll be needing worldwide backpacker insurance soon, and while this crowd come recomended, the quote i got was ridiculus, €641!

the adverage quotes from other sites were in and around €300.

it's so high, as it's inculding the usa in the quote, there's no option to un-include it, if you get a quote from ireland, but there is an no usa option, from the uk!

i'll send em a mail

I used to use Getcover.com until i had to make a claim. We went to Paris with Ryanair, and our return flight was cancelled due to fog. Flight was supposed to be on the sunday. We had the option with Ryanair to take a refund for €38 between the two of us, or rebook flight.That was a sunday, they advised us to take the refund as the earliest we would get rebook was Wednesday if even then. Got a flight with Aerlingus for about €350 on the monday, and had to pay for extra night accom in Paris. Our cheap weekend to Paris didn't work out too cheap, getcover.com wouldn't pay us anything.
Does anyone know which Insurer (providing competitive quotations) would cover the above scenario. I would be looking for a family multi trip policy, one of which would be using a Ryanair flight?

We're heading to New Zealand for our honeymoon for 3 weeks - any ideas on who is the best value plus best cover (if that possible!) - we're planning to be doing the adventure sports plus maybe some skiing.
We didn't take the insurcance out with trailfinders directly as it seemed a lot - AIB looks good value for the annual multi-trip plus adventure sports, but there must be better deals?

Terms and conditions vary for most policies and one must study them carefully. Personally I found www.getcover.ie best but is is purely a personal opinion. They seem to have the best value but have no experience regarding making a claim. If you are a member of VHI I would go with them. Don't know anything about AIB travel insurance but notice they are giving 20% discount until 31st January. Travel insurance was covered extensively on another thread so do a search.

Remember that Quoteonline, ebookers and insure.ie (and possible others) will not insure any pre-existing medical conditions. This is a huge drawback so check out their policies before buying. Ace does cover them.

I received a quote recently from Accident & General for €68 for a multi-trip policy for a couple. However because my other half is on blood pressure tablets, we had to contact their medical dept, who then proceeded to quote an extra €200!!! Needless to say I did not take the insurance. Shop around and ask questions. Remember they don't want to pay out on anything that they can possibly avoid.

\\\\my son has spina bifida and insure.ie gave us a family policy at no extra cost on the provision that I must inform them before travelling with details of destination as there may be a loading depending on destination. I have used it twice this year with no loading Skiing in Italy and a week in Paris.

I phoned the girl in Justcover and she said that the incident regarding the fog would be covered under "delay" but you would only get a small amount of compensation for the first 24 hours and after that up to a max of €150. Look under their policy wording for more information. You would have to wait for the next available flight from Ryanair and wouldn't be covered if you decided yourself to go with another airline only if Ryanair allowed you to go with another operator which is unlikely for them. The girl said other airlines may put you with another operator. So I have been looking under the delay option with different insurers and getcover gold cover seems good. Can anyone see better cover than that? ( not including vhi, bupa, vivas, quinn etc.) thanks M.

We're heading to New Zealand for our honeymoon for 3 weeks - any ideas on who is the best value plus best cover (if that possible!) - we're planning to be doing the adventure sports plus maybe some skiing.

We've just come back from OUR honeymoon. We got ACE backpacker insurance as it was the best value and the only one to cover everything (skydiving, zorbing, whitewater rafting etc. - all the cool things you can do in NZ.)

Have a fantastic time!

update - we went with getcover their gold cover was €60 for our family for a year ( not inc. med insurer discount). Their travel delay cover was a bit better than some other alternatives.

Just a tip for anyone going to USA with VHI travel insurance. The limit they will pay out for a trip to ER is €500.

Last March, following an altercation with some lobster ravioli in Boston, I discovered that I was allergic. After a very speedy trip to ER, a couple of tablets and a number of hours observation, I was allowed leave. The bill came to over $1400.00.

€500 may seem like plenty of cover but not in a US hospital

As far as I know €500 is the limit to cover an outpatient visit to a USA hospital. However, if one is hospitalised overnight etc the limit is 5 million euro.

getcover.ie offer the same discount to holders of Bupa/Quinn and Vivas policyholders as they do for VHI

while all the posts re cost are interesting i think posts from people who had to claim are the most relevant

Just a tip for anyone going to USA with VHI travel insurance. The limit they will pay out for a trip to ER is €500.

Last March, following an altercation with some lobster ravioli in Boston, I discovered that I was allergic. After a very speedy trip to ER, a couple of tablets and a number of hours observation, I was allowed leave. The bill came to over $1400.00.

€500 may seem like plenty of cover but not in a US hospital

Does anyone know of a travel insurance policy that does offer adequate cover for ER in the US?

while all the posts re cost are interesting i think posts from people who had to claim are the most relevant

I posted a year or two about Getcover.com but can't find the post now.

Broke my arm in New Zealand (everything covered there in hospital), travelled on to Hawaii two weeks later and was in severe pain, needed an xray and somebody to look at it. Rang the number as detailed on the policy, spoke to some useless rep in the UK who gave me a ref number and told me to go to A&E which cost €550 euro which had to be paid there and then.

Back home sent claim to Galway address and got refusal to pay on every sort of technicality they could think of. Eventually (3 months) later they settled for about half the sum involved without any admission that I was covered.

For clarity injury was the result of an activity not specially excluded from the policy.

Have made a claim with Getcover and Justcover. Justcover comes out on top by a mile, they paid the claim within a week. Getcover wouldnt even return a call within a week.

Getcover may seem like good value until you make a claim but they won't be any help when you need them.

Don't know anything about AIB travel insurance but notice they are giving 20% discount until 31st January.

They are still offering this discount but when I choose worldwide single trip travel insurance they seem to use ACE travel insurance, which if obtained directly through ACE is quite a bit cheaper than AIB's discounted rates.

Back