Tracker victims at the Oireachtas Finance Committee 9.30 am today

Miakk

Frequent Poster
Thank you to Padraic & all who put themselves forward.

Having been given the run around by the bank and then the FSO, I could completely relate to Helen Grogan’s words:

“The one thing is the rage and frustration and anger that I was ripped off by the bank and duped by the bank, into thinking I had a product I could count on. That’s the thing about this.”

“It took me a couple of years to get over the fact that the ombudsman had found against me.”

Ms Grogan added: “Isn’t it such a disgrace that we are all made to feel responsible for making a silly or stupid decision or not getting the right advice or letting the banks ride roughshod over us.”

...it still smarts when I think of the bank’s and the ombudsman’s comments (in writing) that I should have got independent legal advice before fixing my tracker- as if that was the standard, as if that excuses what was basically misselling by the bank (as before I would sign the fixed rate paperwork I specifically requested a product that would retain my tracker). Silly me, UB & the FSO maintained it was all my own fault!!! How dare they.

Last edited:

Lightening

Frequent Poster
These four brave individuals have taken a huge step in going public! It has had a huge impact! I was on the luas last night and people were talking about it! What the banks have done to ordinary people in this country. This is what we need to do! I'm waiting till I see what the CB will do and if they have grown a pair, if not I'm not going to be behind the door!

Bronte

Frequent Poster
Hazel Melbourne: reads a statement. We struggled for 6 years and then got a letter to say it was their error. We were unsuccessful in our appeal because we did not show that the losses were caused by the bank's failure. How can they have an appeals process which is not independent. There should be an independent process. [ BB's comment: There is. She can go to the FSO or the court now that her appeal is rejected????]
I think the comment that the client can appeal to court is way too blase. I had a case, not tracker and not a serious issue for me, but I got legal opinion from a barrister that I'd a 1/3 chance of success. It effectively meant nothing as even with a 99% chance there was no way I'd go to the High court. Ordinary people can not to to court because we do not have the money to pay for good legal advice and gthe banks will throw all their money against us. They have all the top legal firms in their paybook in addition - those legal firms are not going to act against their bread and butter - the constant stream of cases the banks contest. Evidence of this BB has seen first hand as he goes into court and sees court case after court case going on for years and years.

(A senior judge in the last week mentioned how effectively people in Ireland do not have access to the court system because of the prohibitive costs - nothing to do with trackers/banks - just in general)

Bronte

Frequent Poster
I went back after the bank. I wrote to them every week last year - 40 times. I had a meeting with Ulster in December. They spent the meeting telling me to stop writing to them. In January 2017 they deemed me as impacted.

I know my case is more complicated because I switched banks.

I wrote to the CB saying that they were not adhering to the CB guidelines.

So I applied to the FSO again. They told me in June that they had not got my online complaint as there were problems with the system. But they won't do anything until the examination is finished.

Well done Niamh Byrne.

I'm an Ulster bank customer, about 10 years ago I got a phone call from a manager in my branch to tell me that they'd been overcharging me. It's not a normal mortgage. I was refunded around 10K. I'd never have known only this person spotted it and I'd been sending emails about my interest rate. When my 'mortgage' ends I will hire someone like Padraic Kissane to check the mortgage for the entire term in order to see if I've been correctly charged all along. I advise anyone with mortgages to do the same.

In relation to the ignorant response of Ulster to Niamh in telling her to stop writing to them. Just who do they think they are. I've had my own letter writing to them and I've come to the conclusion the staff are specifically trained to avoid answering letters correctly.

I also went to the FSO (previous office) , no surprises I lost, though I did get compensation (twice, small beans).

And I don't at all understand how this saga can carry on for so many years and still not be sorted. Does anyone think that if a CEO of the bank had this kind of issue it wouldn't be sorted within 24 hours.

Bronte

Frequent Poster
Yes RTE has a playback option. It mightn't be available immediately after the show though. Try again today. You can also write to RTE, they are very polite to deal with.

Bronte

Frequent Poster
That was Padraic's experience.
7% were fully upheld and about 18% more partially upheld.

Brendan
It's a numbers game for the bank. Wear you out, allow a percentage and win win for the banks. How many were so desperate or destitute they gave up long ago. Bet anything the banks have statistics on how to beat the customers. Like an actuary running the percentages.

Bronte

Frequent Poster
Chairman wrapping up - We will bring your stories from today to the Central Bank next week.

Padraic; I have staff from the banks with tracker problems. I have staff from the accountancy firms and staff from the legal firms who have tracker problems.
Me personally I think the Central Bank are a disgrace. They left this go on for years and were anything but pro active. They failed bank customers and they failed Irish society. Even if they are doing 'something' now, is this the best they could have been. Small people up against the might of AIB or Ulster.

Bronte

Frequent Poster
Irish examiner

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/mortgage-expert-30000-people-will-be-hit-by-scandal-460858.html

The tracker mortgage scandal will, “without a shadow of a doubt”, affect more than 30,000 customers before the authorities get to grips with the matter, far higher than the 15,000 currently estimated by the Central Bank.

Mr Kissane, who has been advising hundreds of customers since the tracker scandal broke, said: “It is financial abuse on a grand scale, contrived to deceive customers of their contractual rights.”

========

Well said Padraic. You who have been working tirelessly for years to help broken people. With your relatively small office taking on the biggest most powerful endless deep pockets banks for years on behalf of the little people

Bronte

Frequent Poster
Padraic is dead right too about the banks being a cartel. About their arrogance and condescension.

Padraic I especially like this:

The had been stalling, stonewalling and obfuscation by the banks since the scandal broke, he added.

“Their slogans are lies and full of marketing nonsense,” he said. “The integrity of financial services has been destroyed.”

As Padraic and the customers affected now know, all there is is greed. No humanity. None whatsoever. And in the face of desparate people and suicides too. I've no doubt that some posters who came on here for help committed suicide, I read their stories and they were in many cases broken people. I never thought they'd win against the banks, but it's way too late for many.

MrBanks

Frequent Poster
The banks are bricks and mortar. It is the people that agreed to do this that have questions to ask themselves in the dead of night. I would hate to be one of those people in the banks that has been part of this. Even in a small way. How can they sleep at night and look their own children in the eyes.

Brendan Burgess

Founder
Niamh was interviewed for Newstalk Breakfast and I commented on it at around 8.15 this morning.

Helen Grogan recorded an interview for the Pat Kenny Show on Newstalk which will be coming up soon.

Padraic will be on Seán O'Rourke.

Brendan

W

Wardy7

On a lighter note......

10th wedding anniversary next Thursday, 19th (hoping that's a good omen as it's when the CB appear in front of Finance Committee!)

Starting his speech, hubby stood up, uttered the following words & sat back down:

"I don't know what a Tracker mortgage is :D" (mimicking the tv ad)

The irony of it!! Who knew where we'd be & what we'd be fighting for today!!

Bikini Widow

Frequent Poster