The Terror Threat and how the US deals with it

waitaminute

Waitaminute, I agree 100% with your last post.
It's the way in which people on this thread are painting nearly a billion people with the same brush that I can't accept.
We are right to fear the threat but we are also right to ask what the best way to combat that threat is...

Re: waitaminute

It's the way in which people on this thread are painting nearly a billion people with the same brush that I can't accept.

I was under the impression that wat was one of those people. Perhaps he can clarify his position on the matter to clear the confusion up?

you wanta live beside/among them to appreciate them

www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/MFAArc...Feb-93.htm
otherwise its all conjecture and speculation

They will even blow other moslems up to further their aims

Imagine if Israel hade been unable to defend itself in any of the 3 wars, 1948-1967-1973, there would be absolutley no mercy to men, women or children.

You ascribe to them the same morals, attitude to life, culture development, etc that you/the west/the developed world has, and this is wrong. This is not racism or semitisn but merley fact.

Their beliefs and attitutes are 500-600 years out of date and so if you add modern weapons, etc to this fanaticism, you end up with a dangereous and volatile mix.

Them and US

The US are the only real terrorists as far as I can see. Their precision? bombing has killed thousands of innocent.

Ireland can count themselves in the lap dog category. France and Germany (the only ones in a united? EU to stand up to them) are in the terrier category.

Now they want to wipe that 12 tooth smile off your face with their new passport dictatorship.

USA

I won't try to defend the US and their foriegn policies but like many imperial or large powers, their actions are not unique.

However, the fact that both the USSR and the USA had no wish to end their lives prematurely led to the MAD (mutual assured destruction) philosophy whick kept all of us from being wiped out.

The Moslems will happily set of Bio or atomic weapons to kill themselves and take up with them.

They will all end up with Allah sooner (they believe) but what about us who do not want to check out heaven so soon.

cruel

They are a cruel and merciless people - even they way they kill their enemies, in Algeria and many other places, they cut the throats of whole moslem/arab families rather than shooting them which would be merciful.

How many people can hold a child down and looking into its eyes, cut its throat.

Even the Nazis did not do that. There must be madness in a person to do that

re: cruel

Unregistered,

"How many people can hold a child down and looking into its eyes, cut its throat. Even the Nazis did not do that. There must be madness in a person to do that "

Actually the Nazis did (not to mention gassing etc) as well as a plethora of other obscenities.

While I take your point that the person has to be mentally unbalanced, I again make the point that unfortunately some elements of humanity (regardless of grouping) have this trait. Or is every Irishman a terrorist, every American a gun-happy lunatic etc etc.?

Condemn the atrocity and the people who do it by all means, don't condemn the entire population as a result.

OpusnBill

Scathed but unbowed by Toby

This topic is about terrorism and how to deal with it, so I will avoid discussion on the Ceran.

In this country we have of course some experience on these matters. We can identify two approaches.

First Approach: Devalera in the 30s, when he ruthlessly and swiftly defeated them militarily.

Second Approach: How the British dealt with the modern day IRA. The provos reckoned that there would be enough piggyness in British society that they would never have the stomach to do the job properly - there would be a substantial sector of British opinion which will think naively "they must have some point, to react so violently". This British piggyness led to a protracted stalemate which over 30 years saw 3,000 deaths, and ultimately it led to appeasement to the point today where the British are on the verge of conceding "civic" policing, which is code for legitimising the IRA in their fiefdoms.

I know which approach I prefer.

Re: Scathed but unbowed by Toby

This topic is about terrorism and how to deal with it, so I will avoid discussion on the Ceran

This post went off topic about 6 pages back. What is the "Ceran" may I ask?

As usual YD your post leaves me wondering as to your capability at understanding what other posters are actually saying. If you'd bothered to try to comprehend what I've been saying at all, you'd have seen that I haven't been talking about how we deal with Islamic fundamentalism. I haven't mentioned it even once as far as I'm aware.
I was trying to point out that there is a distinct difference between being an ordinary Muslim and an Islamic terrorist and that the international community in general is trying to make a stance to cut out hatred against Islam.

You use the phrase 'piggy' to somehow make me out to be something you think I am. The tragedy is you don't even understand what it is I've been saying :\

piggyness - A brilliant new word

Does in mean "naive uniformed do-gooders?" or "placate at any cost" or simply "PC" or "don't hurt their feelings even they don't respect us, our religion or our way of life"
or "let us continue to be a punch bag"

wat

Piggyness

From a few pages back, piggy
...Note, that I'm not trying to apportion blame for these fundamentalists to the US or anyone else...I'm merely trying to offer a realistic perspective by looking at the cause as opposed to just the effect...
That attitude actually fuels terrorism. I am not saying you are a muslim or a terrorist or even a terrorist sympathiser (though I am giving you the benefit of the doubt on this last). Your attitude is naive and as it is unfortunately quite prevalent in free societies it can endanger the ability of those societies to properly confront an enemy which simply laughs at and exploits such naivite.

BTW That infernal book has so many spellings I decided to use the phonetic Ceran. :D

Our posts crossed, WAM

But piggy in a uniform, that would be a sight for sore eyes. :D

Re: Piggyness

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...Note, that I'm not trying to apportion blame for these fundamentalists to the US or anyone else...I'm merely trying to offer a realistic perspective by looking at the cause as opposed to just the effect...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used to think you were a relatively clued in individual YD. The above qoute deals with trying to understand mentalities and where the fundamentalism comes from...not how to deal with it. If we don't undertsand it then we can't deal with it in any meaningful way. I'm talking to a brick wall here.

I am not saying you are a muslim or a terrorist or even a terrorist sympathiser (though I am giving you the benefit of the doubt on this last
That pretty much sealed it for me.

Your attitude is naive and as it is unfortunately quite prevalent in free societies it can endanger the ability of those societies to properly confront an enemy which simply laughs at and exploits such naivite.
You still don't get it do you. You still refuse to acknowledge a single thing I've said. This debate is completely hopeless. I can't hold a reasoned debate if you keep ignoring what I'm saying and jumping in with 911 every 5 minutes. This is hopeless.

a piggy on the ropes

c'mon piggy, just acknowledge that you come from a simpler world where the baddies wore black hats and the goodies wore white hats.

You are a well meaning trusting do-gooder who can't see where this is going, The workd was full of your type during Hitler 's, Idi Amins, Noriega, Stalins, Mao, times.

We can't trust them, shouldn't trust them because they will never really be your neighbour, friend or countryman.

While you children may be on UN duty doing a thankless job keepoing them apart somewhere, your "neighbours" children will be sitting up on the hill along with moslems from all over the world trying to kill them

Re: a piggy on the ropes

c'mon piggy, just acknowledge that you come from a simpler world where the baddies wore black hats and the goodies wore white hats.

You mean like presuming that we're good and right all the time and ALL Muslims are bad and evil and out to kill us all. Is that the kind of simple world you mean?

We can't trust them, shouldn't trust them because they will never really be your neighbour, friend or countryman.

This is the mentality I'm dealing with here. As I said. This debate has become hopeless.

Why don't you just use the one name wat? Why do you always change it? Are you afraid that people will start to associate your name with a specific way of thinking?

A brick wall responds

Now, now, piggy, purple will not be pleased with these personal insults. :D

Sorry, but if someone burgles my house, and I catch them on CCTV, I go straight to the police and I hope he gets thrown behind bars. Maybe, at some later stage, I will reflect, what made that guy do that?, was it coz he comes from Miserable Mansions?

The subtle point is that dealing with terrorism is quite different from dealing with the causes of terrorism. As I understand you opener it was the former that you were after here. You deal with terrorism not by understanding its causes but with an iron fist.

Now, as to dealing with the causes, in the case of Islamic terrorism it is a combination of a fanatical medieaval religious philosophy and the desperately impoverished economies that that philosophy has nurtured despite their black gold. I haven't a clue where to begin, though US aid (in all its guises) is one small step, much more useful than pretending their philosophy deserves respect.

understanding terrorism

"Why have these extremists targeted the United States?
Osama bin Laden, al-Qaeda’s leader, and other Arab militants have given several reasons for declaring a jihad against the United States. High on their list is the belief that the United States has “colonized” the Arab world to protect U.S. access to oil. In particular, bin Laden has expressed outrage at the presence of American troops in Saudi Arabia, the birthplace of the Prophet Muhammad. (U.S. forces remained in Saudi Arabia after the 1991 Gulf War to deter Iraq from attacking the oil-rich country.) The extremists also have accused the United States of supporting authoritarian governments in the Middle East while promoting democracy elsewhere, of helping oppress the Palestinians by backing Israel, and of killing what they claim are millions of Iraqis through U.N. economic sanctions against Saddam Hussein."

"Do most Muslims support these extremist groups?
No. Few Muslim clerics advocate the radical form of Islam espoused by groups like al-Qaeda. At the same time, experts note, extremist Islamist groups often represent the only form of political opposition in many Muslim countries and often find a significant number of sympathizers. The September 11 attacks were widely condemned across the Muslim world, experts say—notwithstanding significant pockets of support for bin Laden, deep wellsprings of anti-Americanism (further deepened by the spring 2002 Israeli-Palestinian crisis), and a widespread insistence in the Arab world that U.S. policies helped pave the way for the attacks."

That "iron fist" mentality you're talking about does little except recruit even more disillusioned young men to the cause of Al Queda or other groups, as has been seen in Iraq.

elaborate

What do you mean in other guises?
Maybe all other people who think as I do should be banned.
I agree with YD, you are a hopeless case, but remember for Evil to flourish, its only required that Good men do nothing.

Unfortunatley, Evil has help in with apologists and placators like you (to use somebody's else's words)

Before World War 2 , these people were chanting Peace in our time ?(thanks to the nice Mr Hitler)

Adolf was duping them with soft words and nice smiles while holding these people in utmost contempt
wat

Re: elaborate

Unfortunatley, Evil has help in with apologists and placators like you (to use somebody's else's words)

I understand that you often find it difficult to be rational or provide any evidence to back up much that you say but perhaps you could enlighten me as to who I'm supposed to be apologising for?...or do you think you in some way win something by calling me names that have little to do with my stance on anything?

What do you mean in other guises?
Maybe all other people who think as I do should be banned

Do you think I can't recognise your style of debating and how you attack me? It hasn't changed much.

piggy

We don't all use different aliases (like you). :mad

I seem to remember you being caught out in this board already. :0

:rollin

Its not personal, your point of view is depressing as its that point of view that allows fanatics to thrive.

You just do not understand the threat that the western world faces - the US going it alone is confusing the threat in many eyes.
I do believe that the western goverments do see the threat.

We're lucky you are not in charge

Back