The Terror Threat and how the US deals with it

P

piggy

I was listening to a journalist (for the Sunday Tribune I think) on the Last Word on my way home last night. She was talking about the terror alert system they have in the US. However, what amazed me was the revelation that Wyoming has better security (more money per head of capita) than New York. She said that it is also possible to buy ammonium nitrate in any outlet in the US, without any form of identification. Ammonium nitrate is a major component in the making of a bomb. The point she was making was that she could go to the US, buy Ammonium Nitrate and blow something up (like a car for instance) all in the same day.
It leads some people to believe that the terror threat, or terror talk has more to do with politics than genuine concern for US citizens.

In relation to the terror threat alerts themselves, some people in political circles (and beyone I'm sure) believe Bush is playing the terror card....
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3532176.stm
BBC diplomatic correspondent Jonathan Marcus says some leading Democrats believe that the Bush administration is playing the terrorism card for all it is worth.

But he adds that whatever lies behind this heightened alert, the broader threat remains real enough and is likely to grow as November's election gets closer.

I think it's fair enough to say that the threat is real though and could be argued that they're damned if they put the alert up and damned if they don't.

However, one has to wonder why, in a country where they (have to) take terror so seriously you could build a bomb anonimously and with such great ease.

There are 4,000 fewer police officers in New York now than there were before 9/11. They obviously take their security very seriously.

The phrase 'media manipulation' springs to mind alright.

Is the terrorist threat real or not!

I heard this American gink on the radio announcing in very important tones that the terrorist alert was being raised to High.

He then went on to soothe the folks by saying you ran more risk driving 20 miles to work than from terrorists. Talk about mixed messages - if the risk is that low statistically why the enormous resources (in human life and dollars) expended to combat it.

It seems to me that if the resources were directed to a War against Road Traffic Accidents the results would be immediate and very impressive. Imagine marines patrolling the Freeways with tanks. Dangerous drivers being arrested without trial and taken to Gantanamo for a bit of torture lite. Less dangerous but nonetheless careless drivers being dragged from their cars, stripped and then urinated on. I tell you, the RTA fatalities would collapse. :D

terror

If a dangerous driver or careless driver drives his / her car in to a major building ( such as a New York skyscraper ) it is unlikely to result in such loss of life and property as 9/11.

The American legal system, like the Irish one, does deal with road traffic offences.

It is difficult to deal with Muslim suicide fanatics, when they want to wipe out our civilization.

terror

It is difficult to deal with Muslim suicide fanatics, when they want to wipe out our civilization.
"Our civilization" as you call it Paul does a better job of wiping itself out than Muslim suicide fanatics. The amount of people killed in 9/11 was less than a third of the total Americans killed by other Americans in the same year. Maybe Al Queada should leave us alone to do thier job for them. We're obviously better at it.

America

America is not perfect but it still does not fly jets in to its own skyscrapers. It does not share Bin Ladens goal of it becoming a Muslim state. It allows much greater liberty and freedom compared to most of the middle eastern countries.

Re: America

Some would say it does fly jets into its own skyscrapers....

Terror Threat on America

As a chemist it is amazing that you can buy Ammonium Nitrate in any convenience store... such a lethal chemical if placed in the wrong hands..
As some will know i am a staunch backer of the US, (not Bush),however but do feel something like this example is typical... just like there gun laws... but as Paul said if these Muslim
fanatics want to wipe our civilization out there is very little we can do... And it baffles me how posters on this site can defend these crazed animals... and say things like "we are doing a good job of wiping out our civilization ourselves"

These Islamic and Muslim fanatics are worse than any army or
government.... be-heading of hostage and suicide bombing is totally insane and scum like this should be wiped out...
they are a treat to our lives and existing on this planet...

Re: Terror Threat on America

Could you point out who these animals and scum are, and give us their life story? You have such a strong opinion of them that I am sure you must know a good deal about them.

Islamic fundamentalistm

Every country in the world where there are Muslims you find Islamic fundamentalism to some degree, and they create trouble wherever they are.

Point them out?
Go to any mosque in a western country - they are the guys in nightdresses with the long beards.

CH4

Perhaps you watched tonights Channel 4 program...'Who you callin' a nigger'?
Excellent stuff it was...and refreshingly honest.

It was made by a black presenter, and highlighted the racism being perpetrated by mainly muslim asians and Somali immigrants against...wait for it...another minority ethnic group. West Indians.

So there goes your cat calling 'Racist' excuse.

The common denominator among the agressors was Islam...and the Pakistani boys were quick to point out that their religion was central to their separate identity.

After smirking that 'Islam is a religion of peace man' they then whipped out their mobile phones with the Osama Bin Liner logos and proceeded to threaten the black presenter with physical violence if he didn't get out of their territory!

No, this wasn't downtown Karachi, but central Birmingham.
Multiculturalism me bum.

Listen...Islam is a religion of Jihad, of Separatism, and of Bigotry. It teaches hatred of all non believers by branding you as infidels and dirty.

Call a bloody spade a spade before we end up with a Central Birmingham here in Ireland.

Tolkien and Civilization

Tolkien & Civilization

Gimli on our generational challenge.

By Steve Beard

When you see him in person, John Rhys-Davies looks a lot taller than he does on the screen. That's because clever camera angles and movie magic were utilized to make the 6'1 British actor fit the part of his height-challenged and axe-wielding dwarf character named Gimli in The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

On the day of the Hollywood premiere, he stormed into the press suite at the Four Seasons Hotel with all of the gregariousness and dry wit of his irrepressible character. (He also provides the voice for Treebeard.) Crammed around a table in the center of the room sat a handful of journalists and film critics who had seen The Return of the King — the final installment of the trilogy — the night before.

"O.K., let's try to sabotage a career again!" he said jokingly, hinting at his willingness to make the interview more memorable — whether he was talking about the filmability of J. R. R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings or the potential downfall of Western Civilization.

To most movie fans, Rhys-Davies is most recognizable for his role as Sallah, an Egyptian archeologist, in the blockbuster films Raiders of the Lost Ark and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. (It has been rumored that he may also appear in Indiana Jones IV.) He was here, however, to make his rounds at the press junket for The Return of the King.

"As you remember, Tolkien, I think, sold the original rights for a hundred pounds because he didn't think the book could ever be made into a film," he said. "And he's right. It's unfilmable.... If you are going to tell the story in the book...you will break all the rules of Filmmaking 101. The structure's impossible." He praised director Peter Jackson, however, for struggling to make the structure work for the film without sacrificing "fidelity to the book."

When it was pointed out that Gimli is one of the principal characters of comic relief in the movies, Rhys-Davies took it in stride. Rather humorously, he synopsized the structure of The Lord of the Ring as follows: "Something's quite nice, and then something bad goes wrong, and then there's a fight, and then something gets worse, and then there's a bigger fight, and then things look really bad, and then there's a battle, and then things look really, really bad, and then there's a bigger battle, and then things look really, really bad."

Cutting into the laughter, he continued. "That's the structure of the damn thing. And you can't have that mounting tension all the way through. So we needed to find ways of sort of releasing the tension," he said. "And we decided that Gimli was probably the way to do it. Because there's something innately funny about Gimli."

While Rhys-Davies strikes you as happy-go-lucky actor with a hearty laugh, there was one subject that brought the laughter to a halt as he spoke with sober intonations: the future of Western Civilization.

"I'm burying my career so substantially in these interviews that it's painful. But I think that there are some questions that demand honest answers," he confessed after being asked about how much resonance he had with Tolkien's religious beliefs and perspectives.

"I think that Tolkien says that some generations will be challenged. And if they do not rise to meet that challenge, they will lose their civilization. That does have a real resonance with me," he responded.

Rhys-Davies's unique childhood was spent in both the United Kingdom and colonial Africa. While he viewed the experience as an "ideal background for being an actor," one also senses that it contributes to his passionate beliefs about Western values.

He recalled a conversation with his father back in the summer of 1955 as the two of them overlooked the Dar Es Salaam harbor in Tanzania. He remembers his father pointing to a boat and saying, "Twice a year it comes down from Aden [in Yemen]. It stops here and goes down [south]. On the way down it's got boxes of machinery and goods. On the way back up it's got two or three little black boys on it. Now, those boys are slaves. And the United Nations will not let me do anything about it."

As the conversation continued on that warm summer day, his father said, "Look, boy, there is not going to be a world war between Russia and the United States. The next world war will be between Islam and the West." "Dad, you're nuts," Rhys-Davies responded. "The Crusades have been over for hundreds of years!'" (Precocious as it sounds at age 11, he points out that he did indeed know a "bit about history.") After all, it was 1955. Dwight D. Eisenhower was president of the United States and the Cold War was front-burner foreign policy.

His father responded, "Well, I know but militant Islam is on the rise again. And you will see it in your lifetime."

Although his father has passed on, Rhys-Davies said that "there's not a day that goes by that I don't think of him and think, 'God, I wish you were here, just so I could tell you that you were right.'"

Many of the Lord of the Rings actors have utilized their newfound fame to embrace political causes. Viggo Mortensen ("Aragron") bashes President Bush with low-simmered contempt, Sean Astin ("Sam") has hinted at running for political office, while Billy Boyd ("Pippin") and Dominc Monaghan ("Merry") promote various environmental causes.

Rhys-Davies, however, runs contrary to the prevailing political sentiment of the industry that feeds him. "You do realize that in this town [Hollywood], what I've been saying is rather like, sort of — oh well, I can't find a comparable blasphemy ... but we've got to get a bit serious."

Surveying the room, he said: "What is unconscionable is that too many of your fellow journalists do not understand how precarious Western civilization is and what a joy it is. From it, we get real democracy. From it, we get the sort of intellectual tolerance that allows me to propound something that may be completely alien to you around this table...." He continued by saying, "The abolition of slavery comes from Western democracy. True democracy comes from our Greco-Judeo-Christian-Western experience. If we lose these things, then this is a catastrophe for the world." He pointed out that while projected population statistics in Western Europeans will be falling sharply over the next 20 years, Islam will become more prominent in those countries.

"There is a change happening in the very complexion of Western Civilization in Europe that we should think about, at least, and argue about," he said. "If it just means the replacement of one genetic stock with another genetic stock, that doesn't matter too much. But if it involves the replacement of Western Civilization with a different civilization with different cultural values, then it is something we really ought to discuss."

Recognizing the sheer politically incorrect nature of his commentary, he summed it up by saying, "I am for dead white male culture" — utilizing a derogatory catchphrase used on college campuses to describe Western Culture.

As Rhys-Davies stood to leave the room, he jokingly asked the writers to make sure to "put verbs in my sentences" and concluded by saying: "By and large, our cultures and our society are resilient enough to put up with any sort of nonsense. But if Tolkien's got a message, it's, 'Sometimes you've got to stand up and fight for what you believe in.' He knew what he was fighting for in World War I."

— Steve Beard is the editor of Good News magazine and the creator of Thunderstruck.org.

[broken link removed]

Re: CH4

-- (prejudice against Muslims; "Muslim intellectuals are afraid of growing Islamophobia in the West")

UK 'Islamophobia' rises after 11 September

At least you finally managed to spit out your views on multiculturism Tizona. You're afraid of all those Muslims.

shnaek asked...Could you point out who these animals and scum are, and give us their life story?

Your reply...Point them out?
Go to any mosque in a western country - they are the guys in nightdresses with the long beards.

Needless to say I don't really think there is much debating to be done here. I don't think you'll ever see how racist your views are. Islamic fundamentalist terrorists do indeed pose a threat to the world - but they are a small minority. Paramount to securing a peaceful future for all of us is taking a balanced view and understanding that Muslims are generally peaceful people (albeit very different from those of us born in predominantly Catholic Western societies).
All you succeed in doing with this is inciting hatred towards Muslims in general and continuing the mindless cycle of fear that is being bred in western society. Islam is not your enemy Tizona...you are.

Islamophobia

Islam is not your enemy Tizona...you are.

Eh?
Thats either very deep or very dumb. I suspect the latter.
A Bushism from Piggy.

One thing you may not have noticed yet...I'm not the only individual in the whole wide western world pointing out the threat frrom Islam. So don't credit me with being solely responsible for speaking out. I'd be quite glad to take all the credit, but I'm afraid I can't.

You didn't adress the quotes from the Muslims interviewed on that program. Come on...explain to me why we shouldn't worry when the same bunch of Pakistanis stated that 'We're gonna turn this city into Pakistan. Our muslim brothers are coming here every day...illegal passports, whatever...the muslim brotherhood is waking up worldwide.'

One other thing by the way.
I don't think you'll ever see how racist your views are.

Racist? Don't understand how you interpret my dislike of ISLAM as being equivalent to racism, since muslims are found among every race, including white western males and females. Are you not up to speed on that fact? Do you think its only a religion for little brown people from the middle east? Whos a racist!

PS I never made any secret of my views on multiculturalism. I contributed to a whole thread on the subject (which you lost as I recall).

Islam

From the Koran

1) I will instil terror into the hearts of the unbelievers, Smite ye above their necks (decapitate) and smite all their finger tips off them. (Koran 8:12)

2) Fight those who believe not in God nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by God and His Apostle, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued. (Koran 9:29)

3) Those who resist Allah and his messenger will be humbled to dust. (Koran 58:5)

4) The unbelievers among the People of the Book and the pagans shall burn for ever in the fire of Hell. They are the vilest of all creatures. Koran (98:6)

5) The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His apostle, and strive with might and main for mischief through the land is: execution or crucifixion, or the cutting off of the hands and feet from opposite sides or exile from the land (Koran 5:33)

6) A Muslim may not be killed if he kills a non-Muslim

7) Whoever changes his Islamic religion, kill him.Sahih Al-Bukhari (9:57).

7) Idolatry is more grievous than bloodshed... fight against them until idolatry is no more and God's religion reigns supreme" (Sura 2:91-93).

Please check the passages out: www.al-quran.org.uk/

Back