"The Kilns", Portmarnock-any thoughts on the development?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moneypenny

anybody buy in "the kilns", portmarnock? any thoughts on the development? are ravenshall development a reputable construction company? many thanks.

Re: "the kilns", portmarnock? any thoughts on the development?

A colleague of mine has bought a 2 bed apartment in this development. It's actually right next to the development that we live in, so location wise I think it's pretty good (2 mins to DART platform). The apartments themselves look like a similar spec to our own, which I'm fairly happy with. The Portmarnock/Malahide DART is to displace the Howth service as the main DART service over the next 10 years AFAIK. Station Road (the road that the Kilns is on) is to be developed as a 'boulevard' as part of the next Development plan, with shops and amenities to be added.

Ensure that the development has received planning permission for gates (I think the original application was refused)-this is essential given the proximity to the DART station, and some of the 'security issues' we have experineced in our own (currently gateless) development.

All in all, I think it appears to be a good development, and the area itself has quite a bit of potential. I've no idea about the reputation of Ravenshall. I note from the brochure that they have previously developed estates in Dalkey, Terenure, and Malahide.

We have bought a 3 bed duplex in the kilns but didnt realise there were no gates as lived in the links and there are gates there. does anyone know if they are going to put gates in beofre they finish

i checked with the builders previously and at the moment they do not have planning for gates. However, the estate agents said this would be considered in the future! The Seabrook Manor development does not have gates either.

I have a relative who bought in their development in Estuary rd, Malahide. They were generally happy with the quality, but had some nagging issues after closing that required having the builder back - nothing major and they were fairly quick to respond.

How much are the apartments selling for? Someone told me that 4 beds were going for 700K - seems a bit ott to me... That said probably a good buy given the way prices seem to be shooting up in Malahide /Portmarnock at the moment.

M

We (Seabrook Manor) are having gates installed (as per the planning permission) at the moment. This took legal action to get accomplished (taken by Fingal County Council against the developers).

My advice: ensure that you keep up to date with this issue. Gates are pretty much a necessity in the area. There have been numerous instances of damage to cars in our development and the locals have taken to using our development as a car park and wating area.

I would be surprised if the builders push too hard to get gates installed, unless they were denied initially on a technicality. Why don't you contact Fingal County Council to find out why permission was originally refused?

Will do thanks for advice. I think the only units left in the first phase are the houses which are right at the entrnace and are €795k

I called to Sherry Fitzgerald's office in Donnybrook last Wednesday (12.10.05). I informed them that I had noted that a 2nd planning application had been added to the hoarding around the apartment complex and that this made reference to an application for alterations to block 6 etc. Anyway, I was informed by Sherry Fitz that this 2nd planning application is in fact for security gates for the complex because the original planning application did not include security gates. I seen no mention of security gates in the planning application that I read.

I also notice that planning permission was granted on 14th September 2005 for alternations to the already approved residential development. The alteration is to comprise of the provision of an additional lower ground floor to Block 6 ( i have purchased a one bed unit in block 7 so I'm wondering how this affects me), turning the five no. 1 bed ground floor apartments into five no. 2 bed duplex units and amended internal layout of ground floor apartment in Block 9, changing it from a 1 bedroom unit into a 2 bedroom unit with minor alterations to approved elevation of Block 6. I will call out to the apartment complex once again this week and see exactly what is being applied for, obviously I would be anxious to have security gates put on the complex because I will be living in a ground floor apartment. If you still have the brochure that you received from Sherry Fitzgerald when you purchased your apartment it clearly states in the brochure that security gates are to be provided on the complex.

Just spoken to both Fingal County Council and Sherry Fitzgerald. Firstly, no application has been received by Fingal County Council for security gates on the apartment complex, The Kilns. Secondly I spoke to Sherry Fitzgerald (ever get the feeling you are bothering someone by asking a simple question, well that's the way they make you feel, and it's not the first time I've been dealt with in this manner). Anyway, Sherry Fitzgerald have also confirmed that no application has been made for security gates, this now contradicts what I was told last week, that in fact application had been made for the gates. The developer may put in a "barrier system" because a security gate on the complex may cause problems with traffic on Station Road! For me , the brochure I received when I bought my apartment gives misleading information - it clearly states that the buyers will have the added sense of security as the complex will have security gates. it makes me wonder what other rabbits will be pulled out of the hat before this complex is finished. I would be happy to have a security barrier in place, but I'm not happy to be told that the developer "may" do this.

the issue of security gates at the Kilns was a question i put specifically to sherry's and my solicitor..i agree what someone above said about sherry's, they sound so peeved and damm right snooty to have to answer any questions whatsoever... which really ticks me off...they told me there would be gates..my solicitor, having had to make numerous calls, confirmed there were none. the issue of the car park at the DART is a major one...I currently live in a development in Ballsbridge and clamping commuters in our private car park was a daily event until gates were installed. it also stopped strangers roaming around the complex as there had been a lot of postbox break-ins. i've bought a two-bed in the kilns that ended up being almost 60 sq ft smaller than Sherry's had listed in the early plans....
Just a few questions from a house-buying first-timer if you guys could help, are there any early completion dates? how does one go about keeping tabs on the actual building progress? do you have any tips? and all the stuff included in the brochure (like the white goods) is that all going to happen?

Hi Beachman,

How did you find out the square footage is 60sq feet smaller than the plans? What block is your 2 bed in?

Do you think the builders will in the end put up a security gate?

when i made the booking deposit, the plans said significantly more than 700 sq ft plus...when i got the actual floor plans, it was less than 700. dunno about the gates, i guess they will end up being fitted.

Don't bet on the gates being fitted. Unless there is planning permission, they cannot put up gates.

Any mention on the level of management fees in the development?

I doubt they will get pp for gates - the entrance is very close to the traffic lights and I'd imagine they would be concerned about blocking the lights while waiting for the gates to open.

M

If they put the gates the same distance back as those in The Links, that might avoid the problem.

I bought a two-bed in block 4. I have been out on site a few times and the engineers seem fairly helpful. Completely agree about Sherry-Fitz's attitude - you'd swear you were ruining their day! You've only spent a few hundred k, why the hell are you bothering them with stupid questions about management fees, car parking & security gates?

Can anyone confirm if we've use of the attics? The lovely people at SF said no, but the guys on site disagreed! Also, did anyone else notice the loss of the storage cupboard at the top of the stairs - now the water-tank is slap bang in the middle of the storage room off the living area - hardly ideal!

The engineer said Block 4 would be good to go by the end of March - currently awaiting the roof to on.

Hi Spark,Have you been able to walk around the 2 bed apts in block 4? If so, how are they looking fro space etc? Is the water pump in a cupboard in the living room?I dont know about the attic but it would be good to have that storage space.

Hi steveyd,
Not been able to have a look around the apartment yet - I think they'll let me when the roof goes on - this looks like it will happen any day now, as they currently seem to have all the blocks and timber supports in place. I check every 2 days or so, as the site engineer told me that the roof is pre-manufactured on the ground and is lifted into place by a crane.
When this goes ahead, I'll discuss with the lads on site to see exactly where everything is going - I'll keep you posted.

Hey Spark, without wanting to aggravate the guys on site, who can I talk to on site? i've bought a two-bed in block 8 so I guess the construction won't be too advanced at this stage but i have a number of questions. i've not done this before so what's the protocol, are we entitled to be on site, are they helpful? what are the obvious things to ask about at this stage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back