The government's response to Coronavirus

It's certainly not the answer to any frontline nurses who at the moment must be petrified going to work not for themselves I might add.

They are going to ramp up production of ventilators etc
Are there companies in the UK making ventilators? I’m not aware of any. The UKs response seems strange to say the least as it’s predicted on the assumption that older people/ higher risk groups don’t live in the same households as lower risk groups.

Are there companies in the UK making ventilators? I’m not aware of any. The UKs response seems strange to say the least as it’s predicted on the assumption that older people/ higher risk groups don’t live in the same households as lower risk groups.

Yes, lots of 20 somethings still at home with older parents what about couples where one a diabetic etc

They are actually talking to carmakers about switching production...

I was just not overly impressed with no problems attitude to the pubs been open this morning and this evening's attitude to UK's stupidity in my eyes.350 people died in Italy in 24 hours another 1000 there in last 5 days alone while under lockdown...I believe we are doing the right things only too slowly and with too many thick people not doing the right thing that can't be thrusted we have to take option away from them.We called for isolating our skiers to no avail ,for no Italians in Ireland for match another mistake .We called for lockdown before they done it now I see that it's prob not enough . In my oppion we won't have to wait to long to see consequences to Boris s mistakes which will also cost us ie Cheltham.not only the people there but the people crammed into bookies fighting for the same air to breath..I also believe the main suffers mentally in this will be our nurses who will have to care for a lot of careless while trying to stay safe for their own loved ones..

SIMON COVENEY HAS told Irish people who wish to return home from Spain to get on a flight before midnight on Thursday. The Tánaiste today held talks with his Spanish counterpart as well as the chief executives of Ryanair and Aer Lingus. Spanish airports will remain open for a number of days to facilitate the exodus from the country.

I was just not overly impressed with no problems attitude to the pubs been open this morning and this evening's attitude to UK's stupidity in my eyes.350 people died in Italy in 24 hours another 1000 there in last 5 days alone while under lockdown...I believe we are doing the right things only too slowly and with too many thick people not doing the right thing that can't be thrusted we have to take option away from them.We called for isolating our skiers to no avail ,for no Italians in Ireland for match another mistake .We called for lockdown before they done it now I see that it's prob not enough . In my oppion we won't have to wait to long to see consequences to Boris s mistakes which will also cost us ie Cheltham.not only the people there but the people crammed into bookies fighting for the same air to breath..I also believe the main suffers mentally in this will be our nurses who will have to care for a lot of careless while trying to stay safe for their own loved ones..

You may well disagree with my position but please don't bring attitude, etc, into what I consider a debate and thankfully one is entitled to debate these things. Neither you or myself or indeed anyone else can say for certain who's position in procedure is the best one going forward. Great Britain have theirs, Ireland (eventually) took theirs, yet allowed thousands come home from Cheltenham without any testing whatsoever and then lambasted them as being irresponsible for going there. Thing is, they were all entitled to go there. Why didn't the Govt do something about that in the first place? Same with the rugby game v Italy, cancel the game but allow the Italians arrive en masse and mix very socially with no procedure whatever in place? The mind boggles. My point about GB's protocol in dealing with this virus is not an attitude, it's very simply asking a question and who's to say if their unpopular decision against Ireland's (now) popular decision is the correct one? If one is to take the opinion of a leading Irish consultant that at the minimum 50,000 people will need seriously intensive care and taking the fact that 20% of seriously ill patients are dying, that shows a minimum fatality of 10,000. Mother of divine mercy I can see how hugely serious this outbreak is, I understand it in the same way everyone else that reads about it does, I can see a scenario that now with all the testing starting next week we may well see hundreds of thousands of people getting the virus and thankfully huge numbers will fight it successfully but of the 20% that get hospitalised they're looking at 20% of those who might be fatalities. That could end up being a very huge number but hopefully it won't happen. These 20% rather than the 80% are the people GB are targeting, because they believe the other 80% will fight it themselves. Britain may change it's mind in what they're doing, it may not. You're well entitled to disagree with their choice but please do so in a responsible way. Ireland's choice may well prove to be the right move, it may prove disastrous. Who can say? I certainly cannot, nor can I say that another country made the right decision. However, we may well find out but it will certainly get a hell of a lot worse before it gets anywhere near better and thinking that in 2 weeks time all will return to some order is pie in the sky. We've made our bed and now we sleep in that bed.

You may well disagree with my position but please don't bring attitude, etc, into what I consider a debate and thankfully one is entitled to debate these things. Neither you or myself or indeed anyone else can say for certain who's position in procedure is the best one going forward. Great Britain have theirs, Ireland (eventually) took theirs, yet allowed thousands come home from Cheltenham without any testing whatsoever and then lambasted them as being irresponsible for going there. Thing is, they were all entitled to go there. Why didn't the Govt do something about that in the first place? Same with the rugby game v Italy, cancel the game but allow the Italians arrive en masse and mix very socially with no procedure whatever in place? The mind boggles. My point about GB's protocol in dealing with this virus is not an attitude, it's very simply asking a question and who's to say if their unpopular decision against Ireland's (now) popular decision is the correct one? If one is to take the opinion of a leading Irish consultant that at the minimum 50,000 people will need seriously intensive care and taking the fact that 20% of seriously ill patients are dying, that shows a minimum fatality of 10,000. Mother of divine mercy I can see how hugely serious this outbreak is, I understand it in the same way everyone else that reads about it does, I can see a scenario that now with all the testing starting next week we may well see hundreds of thousands of people getting the virus and thankfully huge numbers will fight it successfully but of the 20% that get hospitalised they're looking at 20% of those who might be fatalities. That could end up being a very huge number but hopefully it won't happen. These 20% rather than the 80% are the people GB are targeting, because they believe the other 80% will fight it themselves. Britain may change it's mind in what they're doing, it may not. You're well entitled to disagree with their choice but please do so in a responsible way. Ireland's choice may well prove to be the right move, it may prove disastrous. Who can say? I certainly cannot, nor can I say that another country made the right decision. However, we may well find out but it will certainly get a hell of a lot worse before it gets anywhere near better and thinking that in 2 weeks time all will return to some order is pie in the sky. We've made our bed and now we sleep in that bed.
Response not attitude was word I should have used.At least Ireland I believe is trying to make the next right desicision.The UK like trump seem to be making it up as they go along .The isolating the older people only came long after the numbers dying went through the roof.I believe the UK like trump will change its position because soon they will put not a number on the deaths but a name.In my mind this is something that I have already done and none do I think of as weak.Responsibly I have decided that if I can get one name offthat list by getting them to stay at home I will. Not all these names are old but their time here is worth all the money in Ireland

Yes, lots of 20 somethings still at home with older parents what about couples where one a diabetic etc

They are actually talking to carmakers about switching production...
The idea that a robotic production line which makes cars can be switched to making ventilators is utter nonsense. It’s like saying that a line producing cans of beans can do it. The companies that make ventilators have international supply chains, need injection moulded plastics, machined parts, electronics, VDU’s, silicone tubing and rubber, clean rooms, test equipment, ISO13485 certification etc.
That’s up there with the worst of the BS that came out of the UK government at the height of the Brexit debate. From a standing start it would take 6-18 months to start making ventilators, assumingbthat you hire experts from companies that already make them and piggyback their existing supply chain.

Sounds like they plan to source them from Trotters Independent Trading. There's very tight regulations around medical devices. Is this where UK manufacturing standards are heading once they're out of the EU.

The UK has confined testing to the most serious cases – those who present in hospitals.

Everyone else who is sick and have typical coronavirus symptoms such as a fever and dry cough, are being told to self-isolate for 7 days and crucially are not being tested..

Therefore, the UK figures on reported confirmed cases are meaningless for both containment and scientific analysis purposes.

In addition, although the elderly and those with underlying conditions are the most vulnerable, that does not mean that younger people with no underlying conditions cannot die from this virus

By contrast, the main message from the WHO briefing today was "test, test, test. Test and isolate every confirmed case."

“You cannot fight a fire blindfolded. “You have to know where the virus is.”

Last edited:
Posting here for people to compare \ contrast with Irish \ UK approach:

In the country's first national address by a prime minister in over 40 years, Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte laid out three possible scenarios that affect how the coronavirus pandemic will impact the Netherlands...
"It won't take days, or weeks," he said of that drastic vision. He laid the scenarios out to dissuade people from thinking that as a population the Netherlands can quickly build up a controlled herd immunity. "But we must realize that it can take months or even longer to build group immunity, and during that time we need to shield people at greater risk as much as possible," Rutte said. Thus, to be able to control the spread of the virus, he advocated, "that we try to use measures to smooth out the peak number of infections, and spread it out over a longer period. With this approach in which most people will only get minor complaints, we build immunity and ensure that the healthcare system can handle it."

Seems like we are, like the UK, going down the route of cocooning vulnerable groups until a vaccine or herd immunity develops, based on the ministerial broadcast.

We need to ditch this 'herd immunity' idea for the present.

Keeping at risk groups out of circulation is an excellent idea, provided that the necessary supports are in place for those who need them.

I am in a risk category, and made my plans almost two weeks ago, I expect to be in isolation for some time to come. I'm lucky that I can work from home and am able to look after myself.

If you are in this category and still think it'll be ok, have a look at some of the images from Italy of hundreds of patients on ventilators, face down on beds.

President Trump may have been right in saying that you're 'probably not going to die'; but a very large number of people probably are.

Last edited:
We need to ditch this 'herd immunity' idea for the present.

Yes indeed!

Herd immunity might happen naturally but with the coronavirus who knows when this would happen and for how long?

The UK government has backed away from Sir Patrick’s Vallance’s pronouncements.

'Herd immunity is a scientific concept, not our goal or a strategy'

“Health Minister Matt Hancock has alongside Downing Street distanced himself from claims the government's aim is to create 'herd immunity' as part of its virus strategy, following mounting criticism.

The row blew up after Chief Scientific Adviser Sir Patrick Vallance said public gatherings such as football matches were not being abandoned as quickly as those in other countries because it would be beneficial if a proportion of the population could be exposed to the new virus - and build up a 'herd immunity' to it - otherwise Britain would be vulnerable to future epidemics.

Mr Hancock has insisted the government's overriding objective is to save lives amid the coronavirus outbreak.”

Mr Vallance makes Boris and Donald look clever .They have all jumped out of plane with the schoolbag instead of parachutes.Italy is unfolding before their eyes on their trajectory .A lot of the last of the great British people and their resolve will die with the virus.

Interestingly in the UK: The Department for Education has published a list of “key workers” whose children will be prioritised for schooling during general closures because of coronavirus. Schools are being asked to continue to provide care for a number of children but will be closed to the majority from Monday 23 March. Those working to provide essential goods and services are exempt from general closure of schools.

We would have more healthcare professional available if we had a solution for childminding for their children.

Hopefully the below will start to work through the backlog of tests.. symptomatic people (not related to close contacts or travel) referred for tests earlier this week are still waiting for an appointment based on social media reports.

From RTE:
More than 10,000 people in Ireland have now been tested for the Covid-19 virus... 35,000 extra testing kits are available and "ready to go" from today, and a further 20,000 kits will arrive next week, he said... Construction has started on a new drive-thru testing centre for Covid-19 in Co Offaly. The new facility is based in Tullamore and is one of several additional test centres that are to be installed in the coming days around the country.

Back