The government's response to Coronavirus

Don't panic... it's not martial law. Reports that LE Samuel Beckett is being used as the hub on the Dublin quays for a temporary testing centre.

Those working to provide essential goods and services are exempt from general closure of schools.

We would have more healthcare professional available if we had a solution for childminding for their children.

While providing childcare for children of essential workers is a good idea I don't think the UK have found the solution.

That's quite a long list quoted in the Guardian article, only one parent needs to be on the list. Children who are eligible for free school dinners are also exempt from school closures. The same criteria applies to the creches. I'd expect the schools and creches to have lots of children present on Monday, it will be the opposite of social isolation. And remember this includes Northern Ireland.

Furthermore, the parents will be out working and at increased risk of getting infected, like the children. It will be a real melting pot.

My wife and myself are in roles on this list but here in Ireland there are no provisions. However we have made new arrangements where our children can be minded at home when we go to work on Monday. Up until last week they had always gone to creche/afterschool. I'm glad that we don't have similar arrangements here to the UK but the Northern Ireland situation will do us no favours.

Good to see that some schools in NI are not going to open on Monday to provide this childcare. A primary principals group in Co Fermanagh have released a statement.

'The statement also said that the Group believes the safest place for their children is “at home” at this moment in time.'

'The list was broad though and sparked comment that with such a large grouping the point of closing the schools to help increase social distancing, a key component in the fight against the pandemic, was being missed. That schools would be nearly as full as if they were still open.'

ABOUT 40,000 PEOPLE in Ireland are waiting to have a Covid-19 test, the HSE has said. At a press briefing in Dublin this morning, HSE officials said the wait time is typically four to five days. However, some people have been waiting for over seven days. People were again told to self-isolate while they wait for their test.

The main point of testing is to get a handle on what sort of numbers will need oxygen and / or ventilator.

If you dont have those numbers it makes it hard to plan the capacity for the coming week / 10 days.

ABOUT 40,000 PEOPLE in Ireland are waiting to have a Covid-19 test, the HSE has said. At a press briefing in Dublin this morning, HSE officials said the wait time is typically four to five days. However, some people have been waiting for over seven days. People were again told to self-isolate while they wait for their test.
Yes, there's a global shortage of tests. We also have to ramp up the infrastructure for testing centres and labs to process the tests.
So far the response from the government, healthcare sector and public sector has been exemplary.

Simon Harris (the same Harris that said the horsey crowd returning from Cheltenham were grand and didn't need to be checked for symptoms or tested for the virus but then got sick) - issued the plea, "Come back to Ireland please, all nurses and doctors..."

Now we discover:

* No pay for student nurses.
* Registration fee of €350
* 90 Day wait for overseas qualified nurses.

And no, none of this is being mentioned by RTE or FG as they PR themselves nightly in front of cameras.

Back