The government's response to Coronavirus

Trinners and the airlines dealt with it when it was too late. The virus got in there. Even if the guberment insisted on either of these they would probably have been told where to go unless they were willing to hand over the dosh they were going to lose.
Under EU regulation if an airline doesn't maintain 80% usage of an airport slot the airport can withdraw it. That regulation has now been put on hold and so the airlines are now able to suspend flights. To put that in perspective Aer Lingus's Heathrow slots are worth €1.2 billion or over half the value of the entire airline.

The airlines themselves that have stopped flights to Italy rather than a government directive as in some other EU countries.

That is because the government is following WHO recommendations for international traffic, rather than ignoring them as other countries have done.

That is because the government is following WHO recommendations for international traffic, rather than ignoring them as other countries have done.

The WHO are the people taking the lead alright.
I have to say that given all the great work done by Bobo and Bob Geldof over the years it's great to see another rock band doing such great work on Covid-19.

Trinity College defends its decision to close... in summary "We listened to the experts, including our own":

The Trinity College decision to cancel lectures, and some smaller classes, goes beyond current Department of Health advice, which is that schools and colleges should remain open and that teaching should continue. Asked about this a spokesperson said the college had to follow "the best advice that is available to us". He said Trinity College was listening to the Health Service Executive, and also to the World Health Organization, as well as to experts from within its own academic staff.

Nicola Sturgeon, on another reason to ban mass gatherings:
There is a “big question mark” over whether large-scale events such as football matches should go ahead as Scotland’s first minister, Nicola Sturgeon, has warned. Sturgeon warned it is highly likely “significant numbers” of people will get the virus, with 36 cases confirmed in Scotland so far and the first case of community transmission north of the border reported on Wednesday.
She said that while cancelling mass gatherings did not have a significant impact on reducing the spread of the virus, such events tie up resources that could be used elsewhere. She told ITV’s Good Morning Britain:
Mass gatherings, football matches for example, they need to be policed, they need to have emergency medical ambulance cover.
We are going into a period where our emergency services, our NHS in particular, will be under significant challenge and significant pressure, we may see all of our workforces affected by high absentee rates because of sickness so there’s a wider issue here about whether cancelling those kind of events is the right thing to do to reduce pressure on our front-line emergency workers.
From a wider resilience point of view, then I think there is a big question mark over whether large-scale events like that, whether it is sensible to allow them to proceed at the moment.

I notice that the Irish Government is publishing statistics of cases for Southern Ireland separate to Northern Ireland. It sounds better that we have less cases this way.
I think that they should be included together

I don't think that the Irish government can be held responsible for the cases in the North?

Why? We are aware of the cases in Northern Ireland but the Irish government and the Irish Health Service is only responsible for cases in Ireland (which, for clarity, is the name of this country)
We now have a situation where there are different containment measures for the Six counties and the Republic. An invisible line in the ground separates us.
Being an island, should we not try and work together?

Who said we're not trying to work together? The Irish Government cannot make decisions for the people of NI. However there is no doubt plenty of collaboration going on behind the scenes between the health organisations and politicians on both sides.

We now have a situation where there are different containment measures for the Six counties and the Republic. An invisible line in the ground separates us.
Being an island, should we not try and work together?
I take it that you are referring to Ireland when you talk about "the Republic" and Northern Ireland when you talk about the "Six counties"?
Why can't you refer to this country by its correct title? (By the way "The Republic of Ireland" is the name of a football team, not a country).

Anyway, we are and will continue to work closely with the UK. There are around 40 flights a day from the UK to Dublin. I don't think Northern Ireland is our main concern.

Who said we're not trying to work together? The Irish Government cannot make decisions for the people of NI. However there is no doubt plenty of collaboration going on behind the scenes between the health organisations and politicians on both sides.
A joint announcement today about school closures and attendance at events would have shown that we are working together. This suggests to me that there is not much collaboration......but you seem to know differently?

6 counties in the North and 26 in the South.....divided by an invisible line in the ground and we can't come together to make a joint announcement.

6 counties in the North and 26 in the South.....divided by an invisible line in the ground and we can't come together to make a joint announcement.

Policy is decided in Westminster not in Northern Ireland. Is your suggestion that Ireland should have held off making a decision until London were ready to make one?

A joint announcement today about school closures and attendance at events would have shown that we are working together. This suggests to me that there is not much collaboration......but you seem to know differently?
Thankfully the Shinners aren't in power. They kneecap collaborators.

I take it that you are referring to Ireland when you talk about "the Republic" and Northern Ireland when you talk about the "Six counties"?
Why can't you refer to this country by its correct title? (By the way "The Republic of Ireland" is the name of a football team, not a country).
I think when you are talking about Ireland but referring to the North and the South it is OK to refer to the South as the Republic.

I think when you are talking about Ireland but referring to the North and the South it is OK to refer to the South as the Republic.
I refer to them as Ireland and Northern Ireland.
If I'm talkabout the island of Ireland I refer to it as the island of Ireland. For 70 years the Brits wouldn't refer to this country by its correct name. I don't think we should do the same.

For a different model of how to prepare for/deal with coronavirus than was adopted in Europe see

https://www.wired.com/story/singapore-was-ready-for-covid-19-other-countries-take-note/

Key elements are immigration/travel controls and early widespread testing, along with social distancing measures. There's a basic political problem in that the EU seems to fundamentally oppose travel controls. Widespread testing also seems to have been strongly resisted also. At last some decent social distancing measures have been put in place, but without the first two elements will be less effective.

For a different model of how to prepare for/deal with coronavirus than was adopted in Europe see

https://www.wired.com/story/singapore-was-ready-for-covid-19-other-countries-take-note/

Key elements are immigration/travel controls and early widespread testing, along with social distancing measures. There's a basic political problem in that the EU seems to fundamentally oppose travel controls. Widespread testing also seems to have been strongly resisted also. At last some decent social distancing measures have been put in place, but without the first two elements will be less effective.
The lack of a cordon sanitaire is a key issue. That and people who are socially irresponsible.
Ireland can’t make the North do anything so it’s wishful thinking to argue otherwise. We can only seek to request and lobby. We saw that with Brexit. So let’s be realistic and not distracted.

Irish authorities are reportedly trying to identify 10,000 beds around Ireland as a contingency for coronavirus, Rory Carroll reports from Dublin for The Guardian:
The Health Service Executive is attempting to source beds in hospitals, hotels, military barracks, student accommodation and other sites for a possible surge in cases, according to RTE.
The National Public Health Emergency Team said the [broken link removed]announced on Thursday – such as closing schools and universities and banning big public gatherings – may slow infections so that 200 people a week catch the virus over five weeks instead of 500 people a week catching the virus over two weeks. The goal is to give health services and society time to handle the pandemic.

Where are the figures of 1.8 million people being infected coming from?
There are 11 million people in Wuhan where the virus first spread. They didn't know it was there for months and yet only 70,000 people have contracted the virus (80,000 in the entire country). If we have the same infection rate that would be around 30,000 people. Their dead rate is 5%. That would translate to 1500 deaths here. That's assuming that we have the same infection rates and the same death rates and since we knew about the virus before it got here, unlike the Chinese, we should have better containment and treatment outcomes. last year about 100 people died from the flu here. 222 died here of the flu in 2018.

I think the Chinese figures pre-late January cannot be trusted - lot of Guardian articles about this.
Then, the lockdown measures they put in place once they acknowledged person to person transmission were severe - far greater than any European country. Other Asian countries e.g. in Singapore & S Korea you cannot go out without a mask on. It doesn't stop you getting infected rather it does limit super spreaders from infecting you. This is especially important if reports that you can transmit the virus before symptoms develop (seems more prevalent 24 hours beforehand) are true.
Against that the WHO did not think there were large number of mild \ undetected cases in the figures when they visited China in late February.
Yet Ireland, UK other EU countries are working from models which have ranges of 20% - 70% of the population infected.

Back