tenant not paying rent wont leave

I would agree that where a tenant has the means to pay, and doesnt pay, it is theft.

In fairness, this site is broadly sympathetic to the plight of the landlord. I would also sympathise with any landlord who is in the position of rent theft.

I would have less sympathy for anyone who enters the rental sector with the short-sighted view that a tenant may not have difficulty in paying the rent from time to time, or with the expectation that the value of the rent will cover the cost of the mortgage for the whole period of the mortgage.
It is my view that upon discovering the realities of the rental sector that so many supposed 'landlords' are bailing out.
In the long-run, this will be beneficial to the rental sector. As bad as it is to have 'deadbeat' tenants, deadbeat landlords can clear off too.
Is this to me? So you’ve to do a minimum of two written notices, one for 14 days, next one for 28 days, and yippee non paying tenant leaves.
Lol. Two years later...

How do you feel about tenants who spend the rent money they get from the government on groceries instead of paying the landlord?

My understanding of the law is you must go the PRTB route first.

Mine too. I'd love to find the discussion I read where some said you could go a different route legally. But I can't. It was something about going to court but I can't remember anything about it. Sorry.

im seriously considering getting in again , i made a nice profit ( had no capital gains tax bill due to a loss on a budapest property from 2005 - 2009 ) on a BTL from late 2015 to early 2017 , paid off a loan on a commercial property and invested the proceeds in equities

im drawn to a house in a " disadvantaged area " in limerick city , my reckoning is that at the end of the day housing demand will be strong in all major urban areas and the key challenge is the risk of deadbeat tenants , yes taxes are high but taxes are high full stop when it comes to putting money to work , the house im thinking of buying itself is very nicely refurbished and costs less than 75 k before duties and legal fees , my hope would be to enter into a long term lease with the local authority under a ten year plus lease arrangement , i would view this as almost being like a commercial lease , ive been looking into this for a while now and came across a thread on another site which claimed that while the councils promise to guarantee your rent under a long term lease scheme , in reality if the councils tenant decides to withhold rent , the council in turn suspend payments to the property owner , surely this cant be true ?

personally i would view the 80% of market rent as a relatively small penalty if the headache of dealing with deadbeat tenants is removed , surely the council could not hope to attract any property owners if the promise of guaranteed rent was not worth the paper it was written on ?

... personally i would view the 80% of market rent as a relatively small penalty if the headache of dealing with deadbeat tenants is removed ,...

The lack speed of dealing with over holding tenants is a deal breaker financially. If you can reduce it to a small loss then you can move past it quickly.

Also as far as this long term landlord is concerned, written contracts are a waste of time.

Is it any wonder so many landlords are leaving the market? And not only that, I have yet to speak to anyone (my friends and family included) who has bought an investment property in the last 5 years. It's just not worth the hassle.

As long as landlords are seen as the bad guy we are going to see less & less accommodation for the rental market with any existing landlords either leaving homes empty or going to airbnb. Add the bedsit fiasco to this and is it any wonder we have so many homeless people?

im seriously considering getting in again , i made a nice profit ( had no capital gains tax bill due to a loss on a budapest property from 2005 - 2009 ) on a BTL from late 2015 to early 2017 , paid off a loan on a commercial property and invested the proceeds in equities

I'm thinking of selling one property. The property price rises are looking very attractive right now. My rent is low as I've a family in there and I didn't increase the rent until last year. But now I cannot increase at all. Even though I'm still way below market rent. I could buy then something run down and do it up and make more of a return. Or do nothing at all. But I wouldn't go near equities as I haven't a clue.

if a TD from FF or FG brought this to national attention from the POV of the landlord , RTE would roast him , not a word will be said about boyd barretts comments
The TDs from FF and FG are in power from the foundation of the Irish state so the laws we have or lack of rest with them,When the next election comes round I will be voting for FF or FG unless another party comes along ,If there was a vote in the morning I would go with FG they are more open to change than FF at present,

That said we need to be telling FF/FG they have failed us and the only reason we are still voting for them is we have no where else to go except Independents at present,

Last edited:
They are outsourcing the homeless crisis...

boyd barrett is idealogically opposed to the very idea of private property , there is nothing remotely surprising about what he said , he has of course a right to say it and for RTE to air his views but im saying that if a centrist or centre right TD made a point about overholding and how much distress it causes landlords , the media would be all over him

boyd barrett is idealogically opposed to the very idea of private property , there is nothing remotely surprising about what he said , he has of course a right to say it and for RTE to air his views but im saying that if a centrist or centre right TD made a point about overholding and how much distress it causes landlords , the media would be all over him
The so called center right party that is in power are suppose to be running the country not the media right?

Last edited:
This is sawing the branch you are standing on. Anyone who suggest over-holding, is encouraging LL's to leave the market. Threshold have been doing this for as long as I remember. Then they are surprised that LL's leaving the market is making the problem worse. Duh....

Commenting, Threshold Western Regional Services Manager, Diarmaid O’Sullivan said: “The findings are a cause for concern as they indicate that there is an increase in the numbers of landlords leaving the rental market. Given the shortage of rental properties in the city at the moment, this is a worrying development. The figures also underline the insecurity faced by many tenants in the private rented sector.”

The only reason private Landlords are involved is because Govt housing policy to outsource social housing to the private market. if they discourage the private market then you are causing the crisis especially for social housing.

If you are a TD doing the same thing, I don't see you aren't having the same effect.

Just listening to that, so shocked to hear some TD's encouraging tennants to stay on as long as they can.

I heard that piece on the radio this morning. I think it is important to distinguish between tenants who pay their rent, but whose tenancy has expired (or are told to vacate) and those who don’t pay.

The Tyrrelstown episode last year is a case in point. Tenants who were paying their rents but out-of-the-blue told they had to vacate. In the absence of suitably available accommodation nearby I think tenants in such circumstances are right to stay put for as long as they can. The house owner may have their name on a piece of paper, but it is the tenant who is working and earning and bringing the money to the table.

You mean, security of tenancy.

The flip side of that private rental market is a business. Should a private business be forced to run at a loss to provide housing.

The Tyrrelstown episode last year is a case in point. Tenants who were paying their rents but out-of-the-blue told they had to vacate. In the absence of suitably available accommodation nearby I think tenants in such circumstances are right to stay put for as long as they can. The house owner may have their name on a piece of paper, but it is the tenant who is working and earning and bringing the money to the table.
Very dangerous route to be advocating. Bordering on communism.

And given the scope/reach of our welfare system, I'd question how many of the tenants in stories such as this are actually working and if the rent is indeed being paid, it's in large part coming from DCC or other such Local Authorities.

Back