AIB Step by step guide to making an appeal on the AIB €1615 tracker

tnegun

Frequent Poster
I can't believe you got out FOC I paid >10k to break in 2010 and did so on bad information. I was on interest only at the time, I asked for my options and they quoted me the new repayments on SVR at Interest Only too. It looked like a nobrainer to break based on those figures and I did then after 2 months the initial Interest Only period expired, I reverted to full capital payments making breaking far less sensible. Bank and Ombudsman apologised that Interest Only was quoted but I should of known from the figures that it was too good to be true and told me to basically suck it up.

coolaboola12

That sounds like another failure on the banks part there not to give you the full SVR repayment amount and only quote interest only....

I didnt get out of the fixed rate, in my documentation they say they rang and left me a voicemail saying that i could get out of fixed rate free of charge if i wanted. I didnt get any voicemail saying that , not saying they are lying but if i had heard a VM saying i could break out of fixed rate for free then i would have called them back :)

I rang them a few months later asking about the charges to get out of fixed rate and they said it was 6k and wouldnt waive it.

So either they rang and left a VM in a total panic as they thought that all their mortgages would be bad unless they let people out of fixed rate free of charge to reduce their payments or else they are telling porkies

coolaboola12

just reading it again there and they say that on 11th Dec 2008 they informed me by phone that there was no charge of exiting the fixed rate but it says i asked them again on 7th Jan 2009 and the breakage cost was then 7k. how it went from zero to 7000 in the space of 2-3 weeks is beyond me ....

I drew down the 3 year fixed rate in jan 2008 and according to them they were willing to let me out of it for free just 12 months later but then changed their mind !

sponzebob

hi folks,
First of all a huge thanks to all in the forum and Brendan for all the information and the Appeals groundwork so far.
We too appealed for our mortgage taken in 2009 and got back prompt responses from BDO and the last one was yesterday with full details of our mortgage rate and application, etc.
Now we have 10 days to appeal the AIB refusal response.
Has anyone appealed to this yet please?
@Brendan - Any advise if we need to send a response to the AIB now within this 10 day deadline? if so any advise on the content for the next appeal would be very helpful for which we have just 8 more days left!

Regards,
Sponzebob

gcarey75

hi Brendan
is it okay to go on a fixed rate while we are appealing the tracker rate? as it lower than the rate we are on at the moment.

Brendan Burgess

Founder
Yes. If you win your appeal, you will be able to claim the difference between the tracker rate you should have been on and whatever rate you pay.

If you lose your appeal, you are better off on the lower rate.

Brendan