Sky HD

Leo said:
Wouldn't it just be cheaper to get a Sky+ box? Identical picture quality on an SD TV, also has the 5.1 digital audio out and all the same plus features.
As per pervious posts, I had a 6 year old box. I moved house and needed a new dish installation. I was told I have to keep my old box or upgrade to multiroom with a new sky+ box.

Sky HD was due to be comming out at that stage in 4 1/2 weeks. Being a gadget freak, I knew I would kick myself if I didn't get the HD. Plus it gives me more ammo come xmas to argue with wife "we NEED a HD to get any benefit". So in effect, I leapfrogged the Sky+. I not saying Sky HD is better than Sky+, just that it is far far better than what I came from.

Leo said:
Wouldn't it just be cheaper to get a Sky+ box? Identical picture quality on an SD TV, also has the 5.1 digital audio out and all the same plus features.
Yes

OK, I get you! You may be able to work something out with Sky where you drop the HD subscription until you get a HD TV, should save you €15 a month. Though you're probably tied in to a minimum term.

HD subcription is free if you take a premium package (sports, movies). I have heard that the Ryder Cup will be broadcast in HD. yummy.

EDIT (I think)

redo said:
I really noticed the difference watching the "Extraordinary league of gentlemen" last week on RTE, also "Magic roundabout" (was not using drugs but feeding baby) on Sky Movies HD.

Wow. If it managed to make a turkey like The Extraordinary League of Gentlemen worth watching it must be magic - or maybe you were on drugs after all!

redo said:
As per pervious posts, I had a 6 year old box. I moved house and needed a new dish installation. I was told I have to keep my old box or upgrade to multiroom with a new sky+ box.

Sky HD was due to be comming out at that stage in 4 1/2 weeks. Being a gadget freak, I knew I would kick myself if I didn't get the HD. Plus it gives me more ammo come xmas to argue with wife "we NEED a HD to get any benefit". So in effect, I leapfrogged the Sky+. I not saying Sky HD is better than Sky+, just that it is far far better than what I came from.
What pervy posts? Did I miss something? :p

Yeah, I kind of guessed that future-proofing or WAF or both was the reason you got the HD box first, but couldn't resist the HD on SD jab. :) (And please, no "Is my HD Hardware compatible with your SD Software"-type jokes.)

redo said:
HD subcription is free if you take a premium package (sports, movies). I have heard that the Ryder Cup will be broadcast in HD. yummy.

EDIT (I think)

Sky+ is free if you have a premium package, HD is €15 extra regardless. Full details on [broken link removed]

hi guys. have been looking into getting a hd ready tv myself. what does EPG stand for?

HD on NTL: or Digitial Terrestrial TV in Ireland?

There is a short but interesting thread over on boards.ie about HDTV on NTL: and DTT in Ireland. Would be nice to see some competition to Sky in order to keep costs down...

There's an incorrect quote that says BBC HD is only available on $ky.

That's not true. New generation MPEG-4 DVBS2 receivers such as the Humax HDCI 2000 will pick it up FTA.

As to NTL doing HD in Ireland, I'd say pigs will fly first. They're barely able to provide acceptable quality on SD. NTL needs competition (from DTT) to pull its socks up.

Technologist said:
There's an incorrect quote that says BBC HD is only available on $ky.

That's not true. New generation MPEG-4 DVBS2 receivers such as the Humax HDCI 2000 will pick it up FTA.

Yes, this was pointed out in the thread. A pity we won't be able to pick this up over here. :(

Technologist said:
As to NTL doing HD in Ireland, I'd say pigs will fly first. They're barely able to provide acceptable quality on SD. NTL needs competition (from DTT) to pull its socks up.

Well, UPC (who now own both NTL and Chorus) have announced that $200M is to be spent replacing all coaxial trunk with fibre and upgrading all cable into homes with cable capable of carrying signals up to 850 MHz, in order to carry multi-channel cable and 30 Mbit/s internet concurrently (Source: wikipedia)

They should be able to put HD channels over this.

However, it may be too little too late - they have lost a huge number of customers to Sky already.

Plus, your point about competition is well taken - with no other cable operators to compete with, UPC can continue to charge high prices and provide poor service.

MonsieurBond said:
Well, UPC (who now own both NTL and Chorus) have announced that $200M is to be spent replacing all coaxial trunk with fibre and upgrading all cable into homes with cable capable of carrying signals up to 850 MHz, in order to carry multi-channel cable and 30 Mbit/s internet concurrently (Source: wikipedia)

They should be able to put HD channels over this.

An upgrade of this magnitude sounds like it could take a few years, (though they may perhaps roll out the services incrementally by area as they are completed?).

Anyone there managed to get any special deals with the Sky people when taking on Sky HD?

Now that Sky HD is available across Ireland, I'm interested to know if anyone with Sky HD has had any problems with the service since signing on?
I note there apppears to be some teething issues with the UK service and was wondering if anyone in Ireland had experienced any or if it's been plain sailing

Sunster said:
Now that Sky HD is available across Ireland, I'm interested to know if anyone with Sky HD has had any problems with the service since signing on?
I note there apppears to be some teething issues with the UK service and was wondering if anyone in Ireland had experienced any or if it's been plain sailing
Yes I had some problems at the start. It took around 4-5 days for the HD channels and sports to come online. Mainly due to Sky client registration software not being able to upgrade non Sky+ customers I think. It is all sorted now

Back