Sky HD

Kelmar

Does anyone know if Sky HD is available in Ireland yet? If so how much does it cost?

i'd say that €449 will come down a good bit in time just like sky+ did. i don't know when sky hd will be available myself.

I have been a sky customer for around 6 years. The old sky box was an early panasonic model and very slow when using the EPG. I never really though it was bad PQ until the new one.

I really noticed the difference watching the "Extraordinary league of gentlemen" last week on RTE, also "Magic roundabout" (was not using drugs but feeding baby) on Sky Movies HD. All this on a 100hmz sony 32' CRT. Will probably wait until after xmas to get HD LCD. Colours and lens flares seems to be very pronounced.

redo said:
I really noticed the difference watching the "Extraordinary league of gentlemen" last week on RTE...

RTE isn't broadcasting in HD yet (and don't hold your breath), so any pq difference you noticed was down to the new box, and not HD Vs SD.

Currently available in HD are Sky One, Sports One, Movies 9 & 10, Box Office, Artsworld, National Geographic and Discovery. BBC is listed on Sky.com, but not in the EPG yet. At that, not all content on these channels will be HD, at the moment, most of it is not.

Think I'll wait for a little more content before splashing out. €450 for the box plus €15 a month is a little too much for the above few channels.

Leo said:
RTE isn't broadcasting in HD yet (and don't hold your breath), so any pq difference you noticed was down to the new box, and not HD Vs SD.

Currently available in HD are Sky One, Sports One, Movies 9 & 10, Box Office, Artsworld, National Geographic and Discovery. BBC is listed on Sky.com, but not in the EPG yet. At that, not all content on these channels will be HD, at the moment, most of it is not.

Think I'll wait for a little more content before splashing out. €450 for the box plus €15 a month is a little too much for the above few channels.
Yes correct. The new HD box gives DVD PQ on CRT than 6 year old box. I recently moved house and wanted a new sky box for faster EPG. I was going to get the Sky+ with the other box multi room. (can't remember the upgrade cost) but at the last minute, decided to get the HD instead.

jusr wondering if you pay much extra per month, we are looking at getting sky + when we get our house finished ????

Not too sure, It costs ~64 euro for all the movies and sports (Ryder Cup time). I do remember one of the sky agents saying that if you subscribe to one of the premium packages (moveis or sport) it's free.

redo said:
Not too sure, It costs ~64 euro for all the movies and sports (Ryder Cup time). I do remember one of the sky agents saying that if you subscribe to one of the premium packages (moveis or sport) it's free.

Yep, free with one premium package, otherwise it's €15 a month.

sorry for the questions, but does the hd box do sky plus as well or would i have to get a sky plus box for that. we indend having two boxes and i'd like hd and plus in the cinema room

The HD box has a digital optical output connection if you have an AV 5.1 Receiver also.:)

redo said:
I have been a sky customer for around 6 years. The old sky box was an early panasonic model and very slow when using the EPG. I never really though it was bad PQ until the new one.

I really noticed the difference watching the "Extraordinary league of gentlemen" last week on RTE, also "Magic roundabout" (was not using drugs but feeding baby) on Sky Movies HD. All this on a 100hmz sony 32' CRT. Will probably wait until after xmas to get HD LCD. Colours and lens flares seems to be very pronounced.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is little advantage in paying for a Sky HD box if you don't have a HD TV. You will only receive a Standard Def image, obviously.

MonsieurBond said:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is little advantage in paying for a Sky HD box if you don't have a HD TV. You will only receive a Standard Def image, obviously.
Yes, standard 567 lines (whatever it is). However the colour and surround sound is tops. Also the sky plus feature.

Wouldn't it just be cheaper to get a Sky+ box? Identical picture quality on an SD TV, also has the 5.1 digital audio out and all the same plus features.

Back