Should we get rid of free travel of OAPs?

Then why not pay golf club memberships for everyone over 66? It's good for health and sociability too.

The issue is whether the income of over 66s prohibits them from using public transport and enjoying the benefits it brings. I would argue that it increasingly doesn't.

Yeah because that's the same alright...free travel to see relatives, doctors, social outings, sporting events, seeing friends, shops, encouraging numerous social interactions in different locations is the same as paying for a golf membership......

@Purple @T McGibney

I don't usually rise to the bait on these type of threads but I find your views and comments to be horrible and extremely upsetting.

My beloved and beautiful Mother was one of the old age pensioners who died of Covid in hospital where she was receiving treatment for cancer. She did not need to lose weight and neither she, nor we, could do more to protect her unfortunately.

Kindly stop and think in future about who you are offending before you post.
Sorry for your loss Sue Ellen. I also lost a close relative due to Covid.

I also had two children do their leaving cert during Covid. My son who has Asperger's Syndrome was one of them. The lockdown had a profound effect on him, one from which he may never recover. The statistical risk of my son dying from Covid is just about zero.

The impact on the mental health of children and young people won't be known for years. There are plenty of young people who have made huge sacrifices for others. They deserve some gratitude.

That doesn't take away from the loss and pain of older people who were at a real risk. The two things can exist at the same time.
If someone made a sacrifice to protect me from a risk that they didn't face I would thank them.

I'm at a low risk from dying from Covid but I do feel grateful to young people for the way they behaved during Covid. That in no way invalidates the feeling of loss I have for my relative who passed away.

On the broader point of entitlement I feel appalled at how disenfranchised young people are and how much damage my generation and my parents generation has done to their future in order to protect ourselves from the consequences of our own stupidity and greed. That bothers me deeply. If they were rioting and burning stuff I'd understand. I think it is remarkable that they are not. They are certainly better than the generations that came before them.

Yeah because that's the same alright...free travel to see relatives, doctors, social outings, sporting events, seeing friends, shops, encouraging numerous social interactions in different locations is the same as paying for a golf membership......
My parents would be doing all that stuff with or without free travel.

Access to transport is one of the major social determinants of health. Free travel is in fact a public health intervention that benefits both the individual and society in general.
One of the last times I travelled on a train there was what was a drug addict who I'd seen get on with a free travel card hassling a couple girls near him - the poor lad must have been on disability. From what I understand this is a recurring type of problem on Irish trains.

That didn't seem to benefit society too much, or help anyone's health.

Or these free travel guys (or do you really think they spent 40 euro each to travel) from https://www.irishrail.ie/Admin/getm...ae1-8bb4ab810504/IE_FOI_420-Response-Pack.pdf
Hi, I'm on the Cork-Heuston service - just left cork 2.25. Two junkies just got on - one wearing no top - IR employees on platform did not seem to think this was a problem, along with the fact that they are obviously and loudly heavily medicated. They are currently doing lines of coke off the table and one is in in the toilets cooking gear by the sound of it. Your train steward just went thru - she did mention to one of the guys that he might want to put some clothes on - no masks as well obvs. Could you let me know what your policy on doing coke, cooking heroin and being naked on an intercity service in the middle of a pandemic is? Thanks

My parents would be doing all that stuff with or without free travel.

Good for them. So we devise social and tax policy around what your parents would do? Not sure why people resent free travel. There are plenty of pensioners for whom it does make a big difference. Sure we can come up with snazzy means test that will be abused like all the others. And it will lead to genuine hardship for others because they don't meet some arbitory cut off point. To save how much money????

One of the last times I travelled on a train there was what was a drug addict who I'd seen get on with a free travel card hassling a couple girls near him - the poor lad must have been on disability. From what I understand this is a recurring type of problem on Irish trains.

That didn't seem to benefit society too much, or help anyone's health.

Or these free travel guys (or do you really think they spent 40 euro each to travel) from https://www.irishrail.ie/Admin/getm...ae1-8bb4ab810504/IE_FOI_420-Response-Pack.pdf
Hi, I'm on the Cork-Heuston service - just left cork 2.25. Two junkies just got on - one wearing no top - IR employees on platform did not seem to think this was a problem, along with the fact that they are obviously and loudly heavily medicated. They are currently doing lines of coke off the table and one is in in the toilets cooking gear by the sound of it. Your train steward just went thru - she did mention to one of the guys that he might want to put some clothes on - no masks as well obvs. Could you let me know what your policy on doing coke, cooking heroin and being naked on an intercity service in the middle of a pandemic is? Thanks

So pensioners on travel passes are drug addicts???? That's not what we talking about here. If you want to discuss why these guys have passes, then discuss why they moved clinics and centres out of city centres to the suburbs. And then had to give travel passes. Nothing to do with free travel for oaps.

So pensioners on travel passes are drug addicts???? That's not what we talking about here. If you want to discuss why these guys have passes, then discuss why they moved clinics and centres out of city centres to the suburbs. And then had to give travel passes. Nothing to do with free travel for oaps.

My parents have made great use of the free travel - though less so in recent years - they believe it or not are not drug addicts.
There's around 1m free travel cards with around 600,000 for OAPs so it's a broader issue.

There's two main problems with free travel
* while mainly fully deserving people use it, the system in general is why Irish trains are well-known for anti-social behaviour. (Not from OAPs - obviously).
* Irish rail are in danger of having so many free travel users that they will hike prices beyond reasonable levels since those passengers simply aren't price sensitive. 80 euro returns on Dublin-Cork is the example I see of this.

Trains are my favourite means of transport - but not Irish trains.

On the broader point of entitlement I feel appalled at how disenfranchised young people are and how much damage my generation and my parents generation has done to their future in order to protect ourselves from the consequences of our own stupidity and greed.

I think this is really rather sad.

I have the height of respect for my parents and grandparents. They did their best and that's all anyone can do.
We did the best we could for our children and they are doing the best for theirs.

We've always lived in a world of change. We try to make good choices, make the most of things and enjoy life while we can.

Like all generations we move forward without the benefit of hindsight or omniscience.

Young people will do the same.

Good for them. So we devise social and tax policy around what your parents would do?
Where did you get that idea from?
Not sure why people resent free travel.
I don’t. I am not in favour of rich people getting welfare.
There are plenty of pensioners for whom it does make a big difference.
Yep, and they should continue to get it.
Sure we can come up with snazzy means test that will be abused like all the others. And it will lead to genuine hardship for others because they don't meet some arbitory cut off point.
The same applies to most taxes. There are plenty of families with good incomes paying high rents or mortgage costs (to live in the areas they grew up in and that are near family and friends) and have childcare costs that are left with far less than people in social housing or others who are living on modest pensions in the same area who pay very little tax but have higher discretionary income.
To save how much money????
Good question.
Let’s start with the assumption that the resources of the State shouldn’t be given to people who don’t need them while there are people not getting enough who do need them. Now let’s talk about cost versus savings and what else we should look at.
That’s where the discussion should be.

No we shouldn’t. In fact, we should make all public transport free for everyone with a view to encouraging people out of their cars.
I live in Dublin, where public transport infrastructure is probably most developed. My commute is 10.5km across the city..
If I drive into work it takes 25-30 minutes.
If I cycle into work it takes 35 minutes (I'm one of those unusual cyclists who stops at red lights).
If I use public transport it takes 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes and it's a very unpleasant experience.
I can walk it in 1 hour and 45 minutes and that's a nice pleasant experience.

We are a long way off public transport being a viable option for most urban commuters who currently drive and it's just not an option for most rural commuters. I'd rather see improvements in access to public transport in more economically disadvantages areas (what we used to call poor areas) instead of making the DART free so that lawyers from rich south Dublin suburbs can get into the city centre for free.

No we shouldn’t. In fact, we should make all public transport free for everyone with a view to encouraging people out of their cars.
I (and I suspect you too) face zero hardship from using public transport.

What would make a difference to ridership is a better service.

That's what money should be spent on.

My parents have made great use of the free travel - though less so in recent years - they believe it or not are not drug addicts.
There's around 1m free travel cards with around 600,000 for OAPs so it's a broader issue.

There's two main problems with free travel
* while mainly fully deserving people use it, the system in general is why Irish trains are well-known for anti-social behaviour. (Not from OAPs - obviously).
* Irish rail are in danger of having so many free travel users that they will hike prices beyond reasonable levels since those passengers simply aren't price sensitive. 80 euro returns on Dublin-Cork is the example I see of this.

Trains are my favourite means of transport - but not Irish trains.
Just in relation to cost - you can book a return to Cork from Dublin for €43 in a couple of weeks time. People always seem to pick the last minute most expensive ticket option when making arguments about the cost of train travel, doesn't seem to work the same way for flights.

Just in relation to cost - you can book a return to Cork from Dublin for €43 in a couple of weeks time. People always seem to pick the last minute most expensive ticket option when making arguments about the cost of train travel, doesn't seem to work the same way for flights.
Yep, a last minute return train from Hamburg to Stuttgart will cost around €200. If you book it weeks in advance it will cost around €30

That might be fine for some people, but we're visiting someone in a hospice and booking weeks or months in advance simply isn't an option - at best it's a few days notice. Also it a 2.5 hour drive, I don't plan trips that short weeks and months in advance in any case, we just go when we can typically deciding a day or two ahead.

Last minute most expensive ticket option? It's the standard price that's placed on all trains, i.e. even if I book today for a trip next Saturday i.e. not tomorrow 8 days in the future it's the standard price for every ticket. Better if don't do for the flexible option, but we'd need that.
What can I say - we've looked at the train many times- we used to use it - we'd like to use it - but we can't justify the expense. (I was shocked to see how cheap Galway is in comparison)

I
That might be fine for some people, but we're visiting someone in a hospice and booking weeks or months in advance simply isn't an option - at best it's a few days notice. Also it a 2.5 hour drive, I don't plan trips that short weeks and months in advance in any case, we just go when we can typically deciding a day or two ahead.

Last minute most expensive ticket option? It's the standard price that's placed on all trains, i.e. even if I book today for a trip next Saturday i.e. not tomorrow 8 days in the future it's the standard price for every ticket. Better if don't do for the flexible option, but we'd need that.
What can I say - we've looked at the train many times- we used to use it - we'd like to use it - but we can't justify the expense. (I was shocked to see how cheap Galway is in comparison)
I would think it's fine for most people, not some. You have a very specific reason for booking last minute.

In the grand scheme of things there are an awful lot more tax breaks/social welfare payments worthy of examination than the Free Travel Scheme for OAPs. The cost of means testing with an appeals process etc would make it all more complicated and costly to operate than the cost of the scheme. There is often a lot to be said for simplicity.

Reading these posts is sad if this is a reflection of the sentiment out there. For the vast majority of today's pensioners the State pension is the only income they have. Remember high interest rates, manual jobs, little or no health and safety. People were busy just trying to make ends meet. So yes let them enjoy free travel (maybe restrict it to off-peak times) but don't remove it.

Yes covid was definitely tough on the young but it was much tougher on the old. The old were literally in fear for their lives. The young will come through this, there is no doubt some will have mental problems long term but they are still alive.

I

I would think it's fine for most people, not some. You have a very specific reason for booking last minute.

In the grand scheme of things there are an awful lot more tax breaks/social welfare payments worthy of examination than the Free Travel Scheme for OAPs. The cost of means testing with an appeals process etc would make it all more complicated and costly to operate than the cost of the scheme. There is often a lot to be said for simplicity.
Last minute usually isn't defined as booking over a week ahead for a routine train journey.

If "most people" were able to book ahead and get discount prices Irish rail would be rapidly fixing their booking system. So clearly most people don't do that.

This isn't Ryanair or even Ouigo with a range of prices from very low to very high. It's a handful at lower prices then everything else at the standard rate. So the average price paid is close to the standard price, where at ouigo it'd be closer to some price half way in the range.

Back