Setting up a bed and breakfast

If his house becomes a B&B it is then becomes a business as opposed to a PPR. He will be required to make returns to revenue abs be liable to Capital gains for the time his house was reclassified as a commercial enterprise.
Rent a room is so straightforward and much less stressful.

He was talking about perceptions on the part of others.
I disagree. This is what was said.

1. Most guests prefer to have their meals prepared by a woman as they generally do it better, faster and more hygienically.
No, I haven't polled it. But I know it's true.
As regards bed-making and sending old bedding to the laundry, it doesn't matter. A guesthouse I stayed in when in Dublin has a Chinese couple come in mornings to make the beds (as a paired team, I suppose) and draw away the old bedding.

2. It's easier to get local women for part-time work. Men looking for part-time work tend to do heavier and dirtier stuff like maintenance, gardening, etc

He has heard it’s how many B and Bs are run nowadays. No frills but a regular reliable guaranteed decent income.

There is probably a reason the Council are allegedly paying €100 a night when the average b & b for a night is cheaper.

Where has he heard this stuff? Reliable source or the equivalent of bar talk?

A B&B I know of changed from ordinary tourist guests to council placed guests, now it was a big B&B and there wasn't family living in it as a home as well, just on site staff. Anyway I don't know what they get per night but the address features very heavily in the court cases in the local paper regularly. I'd prefer to have control over my own guests that to have to take what you are sent, they might not all be war refugees or homeless families, it's too risky in your own home!

Ok thank you for all the comments. Will pass on. He has heard it how profitable from a B and B owner who is doing very well for themselves. However the advice re CGT may put him off the idea.

Providing rooms to refugees means that they won’t have to live in a tent.
First it was the homeless now it's refugees.... This man is really out to solve all the world's ills.

There has been some talk of housing some of those fleeing Ukraine in tents temporarily, but you can inform your friend that no one will be paying €100 a night as an alternative.

Since it was first suggested on Monday, has your relative contacted the council to see if they are interested in availing of such low frills accommodation at such a high price?

No need to be cynical. He has been told in good faith that this rate IS being paid to B and B owners by councils. Rising demand means rising prices. I’m sure you understand how the market works Leo.

Come on, Purple :rolleyes:.
It is a statement of what I have observed in western society and no more than that.
You might just as easily complain that it was a slash at men in general for being dirty, unpunctual, untidy and slow to tackle housework.
You could indeed, and about women being emotional and men being more logical and women having intuition etc but we have, I hope, moved on from those kind of sexist stereotype.
Oh, and I took it as a go at men. I can cook and clean and wash and iron. I'm way better than it than my ex-wife or current partner (both of them would agree). My sons can do the same.
If a man can't do that stuff he had bad parents and has failed to better himself as an adult.
If a woman ends up with a man like that she's an idiot.
But we've moved on from that and now men can cook and clean and women can be in charge of things and be logical and all that stuff and we shouldn't make hiring decisions based on the sexist hang-ups' of some crusty potential customer. Just like we shouldn't avoid hiring black or gay people in case our customers are racist or homophobic.

No need to be cynical. He has been told in good faith that this rate IS being paid to B and B owners by councils. Rising demand means rising prices. I’m sure you understand how the market works Leo.
I do understand how the market works, thanks. and I see no evidence of demand for room only accommodation at anything like €100 a day.

He's been told in good faith by someone who may or may not know what they're talking about. There are a huge number of myths around some of these services. I'm sure you understand that if you or your relative want to offer accommodation services to the local authority, it's them you should be talking to, not an internet forum. Only they can tell you if the house is suitable and in a location where they have more demand than current capacity. The use of Hotels and B&Bs is something authorities have been looking to reduce over the past number of years.

Speak to B and B owners. They are cleaning up. The current Ukrainian situation means they can dictate rates and they were already doing very well from homeless Irish persons. He has it on authority from several B and B owners he knows. Money in the bank every month. Change of sheets once a week. What’s not to like ? I’ll bet there will be a clear out of Irish room renters to welcome Ukrainians instead when people see the nightly rates.

I’ll bet there will be a clear out of Irish room renters to welcome Ukrainians instead when people see the nightly rates.
Can you point to a single piece of evidence regarding anyone paying that kind of money to house Ukrainian refugees in B&Bs?

The Irish Red Cross are coordinating the accommodation effort for those fleeing Ukraine. Last I heard they were still working through the 25,000+ offers of accommodation already pledged at that time from the public. There is currently no payment being offered for such housing offers.

If he knows several B&B owners and this is such easy money, why are you even posting here? A report in the Times a few years back said the minimum number of beds in B&Bs being used to house the homeless at that time was 16, this doesn't sound like the scale you're talking about. There is big money to be made there, but only if you're at the right scale and in the right location.

Speak to B and B owners. They are cleaning up. The current Ukrainian situation means they can dictate rates and they were already doing very well from homeless Irish persons. He has it on authority from several B and B owners he knows. Money in the bank every month. Change of sheets once a week. What’s not to like ? I’ll bet there will be a clear out of Irish room renters to welcome Ukrainians instead when people see the nightly rates.
A few things;
  • A B&B without Breakfast is just a 'B'.
  • The owner has to apply to their local authority for planning permission for change of use.
  • Fáilte Ireland will inspect it using the powers they have under the Tourist Traffic Acts 1939-2003. Info [broken link removed]
  • The building has to up to code for Fire Safety. That can be expensive.
  • If they are serving food then they'll have to Food Safety Authority about standards and make sure they are trained in food safety.

Someone asked but you didnt reply; would it not be better for him to sell and downsize? If what he wants is financial stability and low hassle, a smaller place with a nice income from sale will get him that.

Running a BnB, even a simple one, is hassle, as others have said.
Renting to the Council, is work and has risk, as others have said.
It's not possible to make money for nothing, most of the time.

I'd encourage you to ask him what problem he's trying to solve, and to focus on the fact that filling empty rooms is probably not it.

Is change of use planning really required ? Yes it’s just a B he is after. Not a B and B. Bed only is ideal. Are all B and Bs Bord failte registered ?? Don’t think so. Fire stuff should be doable. He won’t be preparing any food. He doesn’t cook. Usually eats out ….

Maybe he could contact student unions or local large builders/building sites too see if the beds would be taken on a nightly basics.
The overseas student market would be another option too tap into.

Back