Setting up a bed and breakfast

So I’ve been told many times in not so many words. You have to call it when you see it. Every day sexism is the worst. Pervasive and persuasive.

You could indeed, and about women being emotional and men being more logical and women having intuition etc but we have, I hope, moved on from those kind of sexist stereotype.
Oh, and I took it as a go at men. I can cook and clean and wash and iron. I'm way better than it than my ex-wife or current partner (both of them would agree). My sons can do the same.
If a man can't do that stuff he had bad parents and has failed to better himself as an adult.
If a woman ends up with a man like that she's an idiot.
But we've moved on from that and now men can cook and clean and women can be in charge of things and be logical and all that stuff and we shouldn't make hiring decisions based on the sexist hang-ups' of some crusty potential customer. Just like we shouldn't avoid hiring black or gay people in case our customers are racist or homophobic.

Purple:

I gave an assessment of what I adjudge other people (both sexes) would prefer in the provision of meals in a B&B.
It is not my preference any more than it is yours.

Does this assessment have to be made at all to operate a B&B successfully in Ireland today ?
I think that it has.
Because the proprietor will have to commit funds and both physical and moral effort at a later stage of their life in this enterprise - when they can ill-afford to get it wrong as there is no recovery time. To commence an enterprise without market assessment is rank folly. And market assessment without reflection on consumers' preferences - or reasonable speculation on what they are likely to be - is an empty exercise.
In short, many of the public's perceptions of gender roles may be mistaken - and we should not encourage them.
But getting a business turning a healthy profit is a cold-blooded task: we have to be realistic about our chances of success if we do it without regard to consumers' expectations.

For what it's worth, I can cook (basic with about 12 preferred dishes), hoover and iron too. I didn't do it as a boon to the women of the world, I did it to be independent of restaurant and laundry bills and being a drag on women I didn't want to have truck with.

Last edited:
Purple:

I gave an assessment of what I adjudge other people (both sexes) would prefer in the provision of meals in a B&B.

Does this assessment have to be made at all to operate a B&B successfully in Ireland today ?
I think that it has.
Because the proprietor will have to commit funds and both physical and moral effort at a later stage of their life in this enterprise - when they can ill-afford to get it wrong as there is no recovery time. To commence an enterprise without market assessment is rank folly. And market assessment without reflection on consumers' preferences - or reasonable speculation on what they are likely to be - is an empty exercise.
In short, many of the public's perceptions of gender roles may be mistaken - and we should not encourage them.
But getting a business turning a healthy profit is a cold-blooded task: we have to be realistic about our chances of success if we do it without regard to consumers' expectations.
Okay, but firstly it's illegal to hire on that basis and secondly it's stupid. As an employer you hire the best person for the job. The vast majority of people don't care who makes the bed in their hotel or B&B as long as it's made properly. The same goes for their meals.
The entire enterprise, as outlined in the first post, is a monumentally stupid idea. The gender of the cleaner won't be the reason it all ends in tears.
For what it's worth, I can cook (basic with about 12 preferred dishes), hoover and iron too. I didn't do it as a boon to the women of the world, I did it to be independent of restaurant and laundry bills and being a drag on women I didn't want to have truck with.
If one is reasonably sound of body and mind and can read and tell the time one can cook. All it takes in minimal practice and effort. Cleaning and ironing are even easier. People who say they can't do it are just lazy and or spoiled.

I have to say I was a little surprised by that assessment. I can't say I've ever heard any similar discussion that reflects that view. We're still at a point where professional kitchens are an overwhelmingly male dominated environment. I find it a bit strange that you think most people would expect meals in a B&B to be prepared by a woman and think that they do a better job while at the same time as the vast majority of our celebrated chefs are male.

I have to say I was a little surprised by that assessment. I can't say I've ever heard any similar discussion that reflects that view. We're still at a point where professional kitchens are an overwhelmingly male dominated environment. I find it a bit strange that you think most people would expect meals in a B&B to be prepared by a woman and think that they do a better job while at the same time as the vast majority of our celebrated chefs are male.

Professional kitchens, yes.
But those making the breakfast in B&Bs are not time-served chefs by any means.

Purple:

I think that it has.

All hail the Trajan market research s/he only has to look into their heart to know what everyone feels. We shall bow down to you.

Professional kitchens, yes.
But those making the breakfast in B&Bs are not time-served chefs by any means.
You only speak for yourself . It is ludicrous for you to say that you know that it’s common belief that women are better at making breakfast in a B&B. You really need to stop digging at this stage

I’m told a 4 bed Bed only business does not need to meet fire regulations typically expected in a B and B with more than 4 guest bedrooms. A planning change of use application is also apparently not required, given the small set up. It would seem that setting up such a business is more straightforward than first thought. Albeit the type of clientele and uncertain duration of occupancy may cause issues. It might be better to stick to long term room renters given these risks but the financial reward is less enticing.

@Purple:
The house in question is not an all-out B&B - it is also the home of the proprietor.
In domestic servant appointments one can discriminate owing to the private nature of the work space and the need for trust between employer and employee here. So the employment law argument won't wash here.

@huskerdu:

I was saying that, in my assessment, most people would prefer to have breakfast made and served by a woman. Not that women are necessarily better at doing this.

Last edited:
@Purple:
The house in question is not an all-out B&B - it is also the home of the proprietor.
In domestic servant appointments one can discriminate owing to the private nature of the work space and the need for trust between employer and employee here. So the employment law argument won't wash here.
Domestic servant? Are you writing from 1860?
An employee who cooks and cleans in a hotel, B&B, Guest house or such similar establishment is not a domestic servant.

If you live over a shop it’s not okay to put a sign up looking for staff saying no darkies need apply.

So I’ve been told many times in not so many words. You have to call it when you see it. Every day sexism is the worst. Pervasive and persuasive.
Yep, for example every time I hear women’s GAA being called Ladies GAA I cringe and visualise a bunch of crusty old men in dandruff dusted worn out suits and a few priests reluctantly consenting to allowing the “Ladies” to play the game. Unless we start referring to the mens game as Gentlemen’s GAA then it should just be men and women.

This thread has been completely derailed. Is there anyone who would like to comment on a small bed only set up of 3-4 rooms for short term tenants in crisis situations ? Versus long term letting. I have it on good authority that 90 + euro per night is possible in the former set up without breakfast, dinner, access to dining facilities etc. I can’t see any disadvantage other than uncertain duration and possible social problems.

I can’t see any disadvantage other than uncertain duration and possible social problems.
Dealing with people. That's the hardest thing in any business. Dealing with people who are damaged and/or traumatised and desperate will have its own set of particular problems. I can't remember seeing a worse idea on AAM.

This thread has been completely derailed. Is there anyone who would like to comment on a small bed only set up of 3-4 rooms for short term tenants in crisis situations ? Versus long term letting. I have it on good authority that 90 + euro per night is possible in the former set up without breakfast, dinner, access to dining facilities etc. I can’t see any disadvantage other than uncertain duration and possible social problems.

I don't think anyone on here is suitably qualified or experienced to give exact information, based on what has been posted so far. You should therefore start with your local County council and discuss with them the requirements they have, how you get on their list as it is the homeless services that will be providing the tennants and probably the payment as well. I would imagine they would have a strong focus on bathrooms and personal facilities as well. Any fundamental alterations to the property may require planning permission

If you are providing food, you will need to meet minimum hygiene and safety standards and may need to register with the local environmental health office. They will review and audit you at some stage

I would imagine a Health and Safety review, with specific focus on emergency exit and access would need to be done, possibly by the local fire officer. Things like emergency evacuation plans etc may need to be put in place.

I would imagine you would need to get public liability insurance, certainly the current house insurance won't cover it.

Hence there will be an investment up front.

You are also setting up a business and therefore need to have taken proper tax and financial management advice. Treat it as a business, do a business plan and work out your profit and return on investment after tax as well as cash flow

I’m told a 4 bed Bed only business does not need to meet fire regulations typically expected in a B and B with more than 4 guest bedrooms. A planning change of use application is also apparently not required, given the small set up. It would seem that setting up such a business is more straightforward than first thought. Albeit the type of clientele and uncertain duration of occupancy may cause issues. It might be better to stick to long term room renters given these risks but the financial reward is less enticing.
Where did you get this information from? Who told you.

This thread has been completely derailed.
This is true and I've played a part in that. We usually try to keep threads on topic, but you seem to have ignored any good advice posted and so I see little point trying to resurrect a lost cause.

Is there anyone who would like to comment on a small bed only set up of 3-4 rooms for short term tenants in crisis situations ? Versus long term letting. I have it on good authority that 90 + euro per night is possible in the former set up without breakfast, dinner,
Have you spoken to the local authority yet? What are your thoughts on the earlier point the the lowest number of bedrooms in a B&B being used for emergency accommodation in Dublin was 16.

Back