Ryanair random seat Allocation

Hi Leo
The allocated seating started two years ago but not many people used it then. But more and more people are using it now which is causing the problems for people.

The allocated seating started two years ago but not many people used it then. But more and more people are using it now which is causing the problems for people.

The issue people are raising here is change in practice of deliberately separating couples or groups who choose not to pay the additional fee to reserve seats. This only changed in June, and even affects people who check in on flights where only 10% of seats have been reserved.

The point is it is not random, it is an algorithm to deliberately separate people who are travelling together.
Ryanair deserve every piece of criticism they get for this... if only for crimes against language.

Last edited:
Its annoying they don't admit it!
€4 extra per flight to sit with my partner is not much, I just factor that in when comparing prices from now on...

Ryanair have us sussed. We were on the same flight last Tuesday (as per my original post) and got the same random allocated seats. OH row 8 middle seat and me row 28 middle seat. In both rows the window seat was vacant.
As we do that route regularly I suspect we have been those seats even before we book our next flight.
So much for random allocation!

I've flown 8 times with Ryan Air in the last month.
I never pay for an allocated seat. I have got an isle seat on ever flight.

Hi Purple, were you flying alone?
My OH and I have flown several times with Ryanair over the last few months. We have always been allocated seats apart and mostly middle seats.
Due to checkin soon for another flight, thinking about doing the checkin separately for each of us.

OK! It's no big deal sitting apart. You're travelling from Dublin to Alicante (2 hours approx flight-time) I'm sure your partner who is travelling with you can order her/his own coffee. It's not like you are travelling to Venezuela on a WW1 biplane. Don't pay the extra to Ryanair and use the savings on your arrival for an additional treat. Forget about the seat and go for a treat.

thinking about doing the checkin separately for each of us

I would expect their system will still see you are travelling together. Probably you would have to make separate bookings, to get nearer to each other.

Back