Ryanair random seat Allocation

I booked a flight last week with Ryanair, for 2 adults and 1 child and it was mandatory to book a seat for at least one adult and the child. The thing that annoyed me was there were no seats left together, yet I was still required to pay for at least 2 seats. I would have preferred to be seated at random if we couldn't sit together anyway but wasn't given that option.

Does anybody know if they are splitting disabled customers from their Personal Assistants/Carers?.

It'll be 'interesting' if I'm split from my PA. I can see a complaint being made under The Equal Status Act.

Darth.

How late did you leave it?

Brendan

I'm not sure that's relevant - I'm quite happy to pay for a seat to sit with my child. In fact I always do. I don't see why I should pay for the privilege of sitting apart from him!

And in fact if the reason that there were no seats together is because Ryanair were "randomly" separating other groups, that's another issue.

So based on this I am trying to book one of the adults in our party an allocated seat so that the 3 kids are beside one of us for trip on 29 June , however for the return leg there are no seats together ( ie there are one or two available sporadically but not on one row ) available in rows 18-30 ...on chatting to rep on website chat app , they are saving cabin crew do their best to accommodate seating children beside each other - on that basis am I better to wait till 4 days before and book randomly ( in previous years we always got to sit together , without early check in )

Don't underestimate consideration of people in Ireland. We use Ryanair/Aer Lingus several times in the year for breaks in Spain. We are aware that children want to be near parents. It's no big deal to have Mrs Lep sitting in front while I sit elsewhere. The flight is only 2 hours. We (and others) are always aware of families wishing to travel together and we always make our seats available. And you know what? . . . . you feel better.

Does anybody know if they are splitting disabled customers from their Personal Assistants/Carers?.

It'll be 'interesting' if I'm split from my PA. I can see a complaint being made under The Equal Status Act.

Darth.

I have answered my own question. Phoned Ryanair to arrange assistance, and to book seats for my friend and I. I asked that we be seated together, and there was no problem, and no mention of a charge for it.

Might be useful information for somebody.

Darth.

Have been travelling with Ryanair regularly and know that despite their denials they HAVE changed their policy of allocating seats together. Traveled to London last weekend with my better half and he was in row 11 while I was in row 23! Coming back I was in row 16 and husband was in row 4.That has never happened to us before so to tell blatant lies about changes reflects badly on this airline. Later We received an email inviting us to buy a seat so we could sit together BUT it would have cost 16 euro. NO THANKS. As it turned out I got to sit with my husband once every one was seated. So if it is a short flight why bother paying 16 euro when you might just be lucky and get the seat free!!!

By the way paying for priority isn't always worth it either. On recent flight home from Treviso we got on the plane before some of the poor souls that paid because we all had to bus it to the plane anyway.

I just wish Ryanair would be honest and own up to the change. It's insulting to keep denying it.

It seems that has debunked Ryanair's claims.

"But Oxford University Statistical Consultancy researchers working with BBC Watchdog bought four groups of four passengers to see what “random” allocations took place.

All 16 passengers were placed in middle seats.

Dr Jennifer Rogers, Director of the Oxford University Statistical Consultancy, concluded that the chance of this occurring randomly was 1 in 540,000,000, 12 times less likely than winning the National Lottery jackpot."

Recently, on outward flight checked in 7 days beforehand. We were allocated middle seats, 10 rows apart. On inward flight checked in day beforehand. Our two seats were aisle, 1 row apart.
Looked at the grid and most of the middle seats were already allocated.

Last edited:
Of course they changed it.
Random seat allocation is always middle seat now away from your partner.
Then you see the message ...
Don't like your seats ? You can change them!

Darth.

I doubt they be that bad :confused::eek:

Fresh one, I got 01B and my partner 30B.
Checked in about 30h before flight .
01A and O1C are not taken , available for 16e.
Not to mention about 20 x 4e seats back around 30B that we could have been seated ...

If they want the cheapest flight, they have to accept random allocation.
Actually, he means, "if passengers want the cheapest flight they have to accept non-random seat allocation".
I don't travel on Ryanair myself if there is any alternative, but I think people's anger is more about the failure to be honest, than the cost.

but I think people's anger is more about the failure to be honest, than the cost.

Agreed.

How do you know O'Leary is talking nonsense?

[I'm afraid that I can't answer the question without risking a defamation claim against AAM!]

Just throwing in my 2 cents. I have now experienced this change in Ryanairs seat allocation "algorithm" twice
and have complained to them and as you all know is noted in articles in the Irish Times and multiple blogs recently.
My family in two instances split up to middle seats on way for a weeks holiday and a shorted trip at easter, but the thing is they don't warn you before you click Pay !

And then you have to go back in to the Ryanair app and pay to change the seats

As they used NOT do this up to say approx. Feb 2017.
Random seat allocation ALWAYS used to put a family or group together where possible (and it is possible if you look at the seating chart).
It is bad business practice and very sneaky of Ryanair to not clearly inform people you are not seated together. Whats
the point of getting a reserved seat at all if not together (unless you are on your own).

How do you know O'Leary is talking nonsense?

Dan Murray see post 29 above, statistical study, and the numerous personal experiences related in comments on every newspaper article about this subject, also other forums such as

They were honest about the changes to booking-in times, why can't they be honest about this?

Hi All
I must have been lucky so far as my wife and I have always managed to have got seated together even as recently as last May. We have never paid for seats and almost always fly with Ryan Air. The next one could be the first time but until then I love flying with them as they are almost always the cheapest ,in my opinion.

Back