Ryanair - carry on bag wrong size - 40 Euro charge

over the past 20+ years flying for pleasure and business, I've learnt one thing

"Don't fly with Ryanair unless its absolutely necessary."

And whilst people will say with Ryanair we wouldn't have cheap flights. I don't accept that as Ryanair simply copied the Southwestern model but declined to take their customer service module too.
If Ryanair weren't around, someone else woudl have done it.

Just to say I ran the max size bag issue that surfaced in this thread past the Aviation regulator this afternoon. Not in their bailiwick.

does anyone know what the current charge is if a piece of hand luggage doesnt fit in the ryanair gauge, since they increased their baggage charges a few weeks ago.

does anyone know what the current charge is if a piece of hand luggage doesnt fit in the ryanair gauge, since they increased their baggage charges a few weeks ago.

I had heard it was to incease to £/€60 in line with the fee for booking a checked bag via the call centre or at the airport, but the T&Cs still say £/€40. All their charges are listed online.

yes leo i had seen that just before i posted , id be surprised if they made that mistake , because if it were true quite a lot of would just turn up at the boarding gate with a full sized case,. this would only apply to people who at the last minute decided that they would have to bring a full sized case.

... because if it were true quite a lot of would just turn up at the boarding gate with a full sized case.

My thoughts exactly! I'd be assuming it should also be £/€60, but don't intend on finding out myself!

I was on a ryanair flight before christmas and the check-in person came along with the box and put it over my bag. It fitted perfectly in, with loads of spare space left..

Then she said that I had to undo the buckles on the bag that are used to tighten it up so it stays in shape.

I said hold on a second. Took out my phone, stuck it on record and pointed it at the bag and said. "So, my bag fits, and now you want to loosen the buckles so it doesnt fit. Go ahead and do it yourself and i'll film it."

Away she went and picked on another person. A very frail, old woman on her own. The least likely person in the whole area to argue.

I think they have a quota.

minion they seem to apply different standards in different airports , eg, in malaga because of an airport rule with all their new shops there are notices all over the shopping area inside the security zone letting passengers know that they can carry on an airport shop bag as well as their carry on bag . what airport did you have your experiance at.

I am due on a Dublin to Bristol flight this coming week. Weight allowance for carry on bag is 10 kg and charge if excess in size and weight is 50 euro. By the way Bristol Airport also now allow duty free items to be carried separately onto plane tho not well advertised in contrast to the tannoy announcements stating 'one bag per passenger' etc

Gatwick to Dublin

Ive seen them walk around with the box many, many times. The seem to always pick people they think are not likely to argue. I really do think they have a quota from what ive seen.

cashier i wont be surprised if the relaxed "duty free bag" is not common throughout other european airports just like malaga and other spanish airports in the coming months (post 48 above) because if not, the shops might as well close ,. the airports are hitting back at this stupidity by the ryanairs etc.

I'm waiting for the day Ryanair start weighing passengers. Never flown with them, never will....

friend of mine was going back to the uk and his baggage was slightly over the limit. He had four bottles of wine in his bag (these were christmas presents) and simply put them in the his coat pockets - no problems

I said hold on a second. Took out my phone, stuck it on record and pointed it at the bag and said. "So, my bag fits, and now you want to loosen the buckles so it doesnt fit. Go ahead and do it yourself and i'll film it."

I think they have a quota.

Wonder how would we find out if they have a quota. I've never seen the box myself, but your idea of filming them when they are being unhelpful and rude is great advice, I should have done that recently, at Dublin airport when they were cruel to a lady with kids and posted it on 'you tube' (if I could figure that out). One way of getting back at some of them for their appalling idea of customer service. One cannot object or complain for fear of a reprisal. Fair play to you minion for your fast thinking.

I seen them do this last week in shannon.. they were weighing and checking the bags.. a few people were being "caught out"
I did wonder while i was browsing in the airport shop beforehand.. how on earth do the airport shops cope with the ryanair rule on weight and size! I could have bought loads of pressies for my family in the uk ..but because of the rules i bought nothing! Airport is mad to tolerate this from ryanair..
I think the recording of disgraceful incidents is a very good idea too!!

Goodness that young woman was brave. It appears they tried to charge her for the bag but it quite clearly fits. Wonder did she fly. I couldn't stand up to them as I've kids and if they refuse me boarding it would be a nightmare.

Wouldn't it be nice if one of the Irish broadcasters when giving free publicity to Michael O' Leary had someone like that lady to ask him why his staff were trying to charge customers when their bags 'fit' and also why the staff demanded that she stop filming.

In relation to the 'box' is it an actual cardboard box, or is it that metal frame thing that was in the clip?

And I must say that I've noticed an increased aggressiveness between staff and customers. People get very upset, distraught even and it's happening more and more. I weight my bags, check the measurements, don't buy anything at the airport unless I'm sure that it will fit and still be within weight, have a bag with space for my handbag etc. I take off my shoes, belts, open laptops, walk in and out of scanners, get body searched, had things taken off me (including my child with a bottle of water), go to the airport extra early, tasted baby milk, used a nappy sac as a plastic bag to put my toiletries in (I forgot, they allowed that is was not clear/see thru - it was pink), had bags weighed, sized (not the box yet) , keep my other half calm (he's more used to the the business world of travel), we don't pay for priority on a point of principal, put up with queues at every step of the way and the unpleasantness (there are nice staff too), all to ensure a pleasant flight but all of the stress of it, it's a stress just travelling with a family but it's somehow made more so by the knowledge that you can't say a word or complain even if in the right.

The last unpleasantness I encountered was at Dublin airport, my husband had put his laptop in one bag and I forgot and I was ahead of him (you know the chaos with getting kids through the scanners and belts and coats and bags, etc) and she asked me about the laptop and I said 'what laptop' and then really really rudely/officiously she started on did you pack this bag madam etc it was awful. Don't even want to think about it even. Flying wasn't meant to be like this. And really is is necessary.

yes bronte i think some of dublin airports security staff were trained by the same company as ryainair staff ,with very few exceptions . as regards the boxes yes they have both the cardboard box thing and the steel frame . what i have noticed is when a quque forms early a staff member sometimes goes down the line with the cardboard box and while supposed to be checking boarding passes is observing the hand luggage. when she/he mainly females sees what in her opinion she asks the owner to allow her to put the cardboard box over the case. there has been a few problems over the past year or so i understand from a relation who works in the airport business , as in a few airports some people found boxes and placed comfortably in the steel frame , which meant that the cardboard boxes were too small or the steel was too big . they seemed to disappear for a while but i see a lot of them about now i think they may have got new ones of the correct size made. the problem with the cardboard boxes is they not as strong as the frames and therefore one doesnt have the same flexibility when trying to force it in if it is a bit tight.one good tip if asked to put your bag into the steel frame is to put it i upsidedown as the wheels are often the dodgy bit and upsidedown there is no problem.

This is extraordinary! What lengths are peolpe prepared to go to in order to travel with this airline? While I admire the business model and appreciate the low cost of air travel, broadly as a result of Michael O'Leary's competitive pricing, I feel that this type of approach is totally OTT. I would happily pay an extra €30/40 in order to avoid being treated like an animal!

the problem with the cardboard boxes is they not as strong as the frames and therefore one doesnt have the same flexibility when trying to force it in if it is a bit tight.

Wonder what your rights are if it fits in the steel frame but not the cardboard box. Also wonder what if that happened and you sat on the cardboard box or jumped on it to make it, the cardboard box that is, to make it fit, would that be allowed. Is that illegal ? You can certainly play around with the bag to make it fit into the steal frame.

This whole thing is riduculous but it's exactly what I've seen many people do with the bags in the steel frame, trying to get them in everywhich way. What kind of world do we live in when grown adults have to enforce rules about whether one's strap or wheel is 1 millimeter out. If you're within the 10K and bag is reasonably within cabin size what is the issue.

There is a reason the box is cardboard, if it was fully metal you would be also able to squash it in (as one doesn on a flight) I take squashable bags in general for this reason. Maybe we should make bags of steel to be exactly square to the dimensions, or bring a steel box sorrounding our bags to prove it fits, but that would be too heavy I guess. Maybe the consumer association could make it clear what is the rule, cardboard box of Ryanair or steel frame of airports?

Back