Ryanair - carry on bag wrong size - 40 Euro charge

in malaga airport a couple of weeks ago, on the walls in very very large letters it states that all passangers on all airlines are allowed one malaga airport plastic shopping with goods purchased in the airport shops , as well as their hand luggage . so we bought a couple of bottles and a gift , and when we got to the gat we were told to put them in our hand luggage , we quoted the notices on the walls which also states that its european aviation law and were told its not ryanair law,

IF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT SIZE BAG AND ARE THE PROPER WEIGHT THERE IS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT.

why the thread dogging ryanair staff and remember people like me (poor - who didnt benefit from the celtic tiger) would never have gotten out of ireland.

im not a goodie goodie but the few times i have flown with them ive kept the proper bag size and weight. Remember us women tend to bring the kitchen sink on hols....

if you want to bring a bigger bag or heavier bag...check it in!!!!

IF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT SIZE BAG AND ARE THE PROPER WEIGHT THERE IS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT.

why the thread dogging ryanair staff and remember people like me (poor - who didnt benefit from the celtic tiger) would never have gotten out of ireland.

im not a goodie goodie but the few times i have flown with them ive kept the proper bag size and weight. Remember us women tend to bring the kitchen sink on hols....

if you want to bring a bigger bag or heavier bag...check it in!!!!

Well said!!!!

in malaga airport a couple of weeks ago, on the walls in very very large letters it states that all passangers on all airlines are allowed one malaga airport plastic shopping with goods purchased in the airport shops , as well as their hand luggage . so we bought a couple of bottles and a gift , and when we got to the gat we were told to put them in our hand luggage , we quoted the notices on the walls which also states that its european aviation law and were told its not ryanair law,

LOL..i very much doubt that it is european aviation law either.....shopping bags?...come on.

well if you doubt it have a look, or if you cant get to malaga airport , ask someone who was . its been printed on the wall in the new (terminal 3) airport since it opened in nov 2010 i think, the reason for the notification is the new terminal cost nearly a billion euro and its not any shopping bags it specificly states malaga airport bags and it quotes european law . if all airlines adopted the ryanair and now aer lingus way of doing things , they may as well close all the new shops .

Similar signs (free standing) all around the Manchester T3 duty free. Emblazoned with the ryanair logo and saying you can bring one sealed duty free bag of shopping onto the plane together with your carry on allowance.
Though to be honest, I didn't notice anyone availing of this.

Bristol airport has the same signs, but RyanAir still insist on one piece of hand luggage.

I've searched for any such EU law on the number of bags allowed as hand luggage, and it seems the only legislation there currently governs what you can and cannot carry in hand luggade. A number of consumer guides (example) on the legislation state that the airline are entitled to impose their own rules on the number, size and weight of bags.

Bristol airport has the same signs, but RyanAir still insist on one piece of hand luggage.

I've searched for any such EU law on the number of bags allowed as hand luggage, and it seems the only legislation there currently governs what you can and cannot carry in hand luggade. A number of consumer guides (example) on the legislation state that the airline are entitled to impose their own rules on the number, size and weight of bags.

I recently flew through Bristol and was advised in the duty free that they have an agreement with ryanair to allow this. Smaller airports that have Ryanair as a main carrier are losing sales because of ryanair rules on hand luggage, so some of the smallest have got new agreements in place.
I and many others availed of this and had no problem at the gate.

I recently flew through Bristol and was advised in the duty free that they have an agreement with ryanair to allow this.

We were told that as well, but on the flight I was on, the RyanAir staff were still insisting on one bag per person as the flight was full. They also used the metal frame to check any bag that looked oversized and did catch quite a number of people.

We were told that as well, but on the flight I was on, the RyanAir staff were still insisting on one bag per person as the flight was full.

So what happened to the people with purchases?

I've now seen the cardboard and solid plastic see though box. Everybody was in the queue well in advance and two staff members systematically went to every passenger to measure the bags, they then wrote something on everybody's boarding pass, probably to mark off those that were checked. As I was sitting down they didn't come near me so I was wondering would they check me when I went though as my boarding pass was not marked but they were too busy. Another passenger had duty free but they didn't stop him. I guess it's different rules at different airports or rules are dependant on the staff's mood that day. :rolleyes:

Aer Lingus have also become stricter, they have a new measuring guage at Dublin airport but they allow you to have a handbag in addition to your suitcase.

I flew Ryanair on a day trip to London on Saturday and noted the staff going around with the cardboard box. They walked straight past a woman whose bag was WAY over the dimensions and from the way the woman was struggling with it was much heavier than 10kg. Nobody went near her (she was kinda scary looking).

Same woman ignored the queue of well over 100 people and cut in line (in the "other Q") once boarding started, I really couldn't believe her brass neck.

I watched it all from a safe distance, I had no luggage, there was a seat for me somewhere on the plane, no need to queue.

bronte if you go to the thread just below this one , . i have put up aer lingus new cabin bag measurements . they have increased the 20 to 24 but they have changed the rules regarding laptops etc .

So what happened to the people with purchases?

If they couldn't get the purchases into their hand luggage and get it easily into the metal frame, they were forced to check the luggage, and pay. Some of them pointed out the signs that were visible from the gate, to no avail.

i was on the aer lingus site today and they have details of their new hand luggage rules , they also have a cabin crew member on a video clip explaining them, with the added bonus of telling us, that airport purchases must be put inside the one piece of hand luggage.

If they couldn't get the purchases into their hand luggage and get it easily into the metal frame, they were forced to check the luggage, and pay. Some of them pointed out the signs that were visible from the gate, to no avail.

Thank you Leo for clarifying that. I'll be taking no risks even if there are signs.

i was on the aer lingus site today and they have details of their new hand luggage rules , they also have a cabin crew member on a video clip explaining them, with the added bonus of telling us, that airport purchases must be put inside the one piece of hand luggage.

The DAA who love Aer Lingus must be delighted. As for us taxpayers, the T2 white elephant is going to cost us even more. They might as well close down most of the shops. Certainly if I was a leaseholder I'd be looking for reduced rent as Aer Lingus is like one of the anchor airlines to that terminal.

No problem Bronte, that's the approach I take when flying with them.

Back