Ryanair - carry on bag wrong size - 40 Euro charge

bronte the aim i think is ryanair want everyone to buy and use their bag which they sell on their site . its made by samsonite the soft one is 59 euro and the hardcase one is 89 i was talking to a woman a few weeks ago at dublin airport and she had one they looked good but 59 incl deliverry is a bit steep. she claimed that ryanair say if you have one of these cases they wont go near you , but with a young family who say travel twice a year with them it adds to the expense.

Have just got charged £50 euro for my hand luggage at Dublin airport. I have a hard case that i have been asked to put in to the metal cage several times before, and i have never had a problem. I put the bag in as usual upside down and it slotted in, however the Ryanair woman told me that the wheels where over the edge i pushed it down further and it fitted, but as i could not take it back up "freely" , i was charged!! I bought this case specifically as it technically fits the dimensions, but looks like i will be on the hunt for a new bag!!
Have been on Ryanair flight about 6 times a year for the past 3 years, through several airports, with this case and never had been charged before!! The woman today seemed on a power trip! Can only hoped i distracted her for other passengers!

I used to log on to Ryanair first but now I find that I log on to them last. I have used the same case for years, no problem, yet I always feel apprehensive when I am at the boarding gate.
Strange but now I feel apprehensive when I just log on to their website?? The negative thoughts about flying with them just pour in to my head and I have to admit that I always have second thoughts now and look for excuses not to fly with them.

Strange but now I feel apprehensive when I just log on to their website?? The negative thoughts about flying with them just pour in to my head

Similar feeling here. They are no longer the low cost airline. I was prepared to put up with their dour faced staff when they were low cost but not anymore. I was browsing recently looking for a Spring break. When I got to the Ryanair website all the negative thoughts about doing business with them as well as having to constantly input a security code to stay on their booking site caused me to logoff. I now realise that I have to be in a certain frame of mind to even think about Ryanair.

I'm loving all the comments from people who will no longer consider flying Ryanair.... It means my fellow passengers are more likely to be prepared and efficient and make my travel experience easier and pass more smoothly.

How long have the liquid restrictions been in place... and the security checks regarding shoes, belts, laptops etc? And yet, nearly every time I fly there is someone completely unprepared and seemingly annoyed at attempts to keep them safe.

It's the same with Ryanair T&Cs. The associated costs, boarding card requirements, cabin baggage restrictions, checked bag costs, etc, etc, etc are all there in black and white for everyone to read and inwardly absorb.

If Ryanair staff aren't playing fair then its right that it should be highlighted.... but I get the feeling there are a lot of people here moaning who have simply gotten away with chancing it before and are now upset at getting caught out.

i agree with you ,, looking-grizzly and park lane, they have done their job, they have brought the cost of flying to the reach of most working people. my children are adults with their own children now , but in or around 1983/4 cant remember the exact year i got a chance to have a holiday with my wife and the 2 children in the marbella area for the month of july , the fares then with aer lingus was 242 irish pounds each with a 10 per cent reduction for the 2 children. but i think like lots of other people its time to leave ryanair and maybe that will put some manners on them.

If Ryanair staff aren't playing fair then its right that it should be highlighted.... but I get the feeling there are a lot of people here moaning who have simply gotten away with chancing it before and are now upset at getting caught out.

I don't chance anything, and am exceedingly grateful that Ryanair have brought low cost flying to everybody. But I object to rudeness for the sake of it, unhelpfulness and nastiness. Particularly when it is directed at people who are stressed enough as it is. I don't mind them weighting my bag or measuring it, but putting a cardboard box over it and fining people because a strap or wheel sticks out is just plain ridiculous. It is deliberate unpleasantness or a money making exercise. No matter what Michael O' Leary says families cannot travel on holiday without luggage. And no way even with his millions do I believe his wife and a few young children will travel without luggage. In relation to terms and conditions, I have done my utmost to keep up with these over the years as they are everchanging and endless and confusing unless you really take the time to read them. Where I work I met someone last week who didn't know it costs 40 Euro to reprint a boarding pass. My own elderly parent arrived a couple of years ago without the right paper, had the printed booking but not the boarding pass etc, not deliberate or chancing it, just not understanding. Luckily it was some nice Ryanair girls who kindly printed it out free gratis.

In the last year or so my family have gone to paying extra to avoid Ryanair. Particularly after the shambles of xmas 2010. In no way do I blame Ryanair for the weather. But being treated like cattle I object to.

Regarding the many posts on the size and weight of carryon bags on ryanair flights I may I add my comments.
I travelled Cyprus to London with easyjet and London to Dublin with ryanair same day
Easyjet carryon bags allowed 1 bag 25 wide 56 long and 45 high = 25x56x45 weight 10kg
Ryanair carryon bags allowed 1 bag 20 wide 55 long and 40 high = 20x55x40 weight 10kg
I think First Choice and Thomas Cook only allow 5kg carryon
Who sets the conditions of what you can or can’t do is it the airlines themselves? If so then I am afraid we have to abide by their rules. That’s why I am considering buying a Ryainair carryon bag.
The only reason I fly Ryanair is the price, especially short flights. What do you expect for your 12.99? Dublin to Luton mid week booking 3 weeks in advance.
As for been treated like cattle well if you allow that to happen to you, SHAME ON YOU.
By the way I don’t work for Ryanair.

22+allin -- the main problems i think from reading the forums people have with ryanair and some other low cost airlines are , (1)they keep adding on new charges , because they got involved with their competitors on fuel surcharges . ryanair have them, make no mistake about that they call them other names like the cancellation fee thing. ( 2 the inconcistency you have pointed it out yourself a smaller bag size allowed on the same plane when their claim is the bag has to fit in the overhead compartment ). i had the exact same experiance a you a few years back having flown to seville with ryanair and then i got a spanish airline to malaga, and the cabin bag allowance both weight and dimensions were bigger for the spanish airline. so i think that the only conclusion that people come to is it a money making racket . as regards letting them treat one like cattle , i personnaly would not allow anyone including any of ryanairs rude staff but i have seen them pick on vunerable people like women with a couple of young children, who are really not in a position to argue with them. but on the odd occosion i have seen some feisty young women in that position giving them back as good as they got ,from nasty staff and ive seen some staff backing off. they seem to have an attraction to older people whom they think will not be able to slam their hand luggage into the steel frame and then wrestle it out at a cost of 50euro.

People need to fight back when these clowns try and shaft them.

If your bag fits into the cage, tell them in no uncertain terms where to go if they start claiming that there are other criteria.

"You can't have straps making your bag smaller" - Who thinks these things up?

In my case if Ryanair is the only airline flying in to the area that I need to go to then I will fly with Ryanair. If not then I won't. In fact if I have a choice I will choose another area. I did this last year when I flew with Aer Lingusr to Perpignan. I could have flown Ryanair to Carcassonne but chose not to. My choice of location was based on the airline more so than anything else.
I have a suitcase that fits the size requirements but the wheels could be an issue. I don't like feeling anxious about the size of my bag. Will it fit this time kind of thing. I don't feel anxious with the more helpful Aer Lingus staff. I will not buy a Ryanair carry on case because it's a Ryanair carry on case.

actually.... Box The Fox it doesnt mention ryanair on the case i saw one a few weeks ago with a woman in front of me on the quque . its blue with a yellow stripe down the side its made by samsonite , and believe it or not the tie rack in the loop sell the very same case for 79 euro which is 20 euro more expensive than on line with ryanair, . the lady who had the case told me it was 59 euro no ccc, no postage charge, but it took 7 days from order to delivery day.

The colours are those of Ryanair so they would be easily identifiable.
I picked up a lovely case in Penneys at the end of last year in their sale for €10. Lots of Chinese supermarket shops on the Continent sell similar for €15.
Ryanair needs another low cost airline to set up in competition as they have become very cocky.

checking in on line today they asked me did i want to buy one of their hand luggage bags they are now 69 . thats an increase of 10 euros in a few weeks since i last looked at them on their site.

I paid 99 Euro for the hard Ryanair case because it said on RA order page that size was gauranteed (in Bold print) to be accepted as hand luggage subject to weight of 10K. I am an OAP and I don't need hassle. I used it for first time 2 months ago when I was stopped and told to put it into cage. I would have loved to have refused on principal but I did as instructed. I said to staff member that the reason I bought it was because of gaurantee she just shrugged. I would have loved to have refused on principal but I did'nt want to delay everyone.

What a laugh! So Ryanair insisted that you put a Ryanair bag in to the cage? Brilliant. Isn't there a new Muppet movie out. Any of the calendar girls starring in it?

I'd tell them if they want it checked, then they can lift it in and out of the cage....

S.

Back