Rude presenter on The cafe on RTE "childrens programme" "eurospa"

What is the "able bodied world" and how are deaf people not "able bodied"? :confused: All of the bodies on the Miss Deaf World programme looked pretty able to me!

Fair enough.

Well "able bodied" is just the often used term (I think) for those without disabilities in general. Bad choice of words in this particular example I suppose. I think deaf people use "the hearing world".

Fair enough.

Well "able bodied" is just the often used term (I think) for those without disabilities in general. Bad choice of words in this particular example I suppose. I think deaf people use "the hearing world".
I think everybody has a disability in some sort of way, if not, we'd not be human.
And I have never heard "the hearing world"? Anyway, I think even deaf people can hear the world just in a different way, like a blind person can see the world very much as I was told by a blind man once. He said he sees with his ears, and guide stick, and apparently if you lose one of your senses, the quality of you other 4 rise considerably because your brain is more active in those 4 parts than it was with the 5 parts. Odd, I know! But fascinating :)

apparently if you lose one of your senses, the quality of you other 4 rise considerably because your brain is more active in those 4 parts than it was with the 5 parts. Odd, I know! But fascinating :)
I thought that this was an urban myth - [broken link removed] would suggest that there's at least some doubt about it anyway.

but I believe that deaf people in particular can have quite a 'closed' community and often prefer not to participate in the wider able bodied world even when they are able to. As a consequence, the deaf community has a plethora of alternative events/groups etc.

Some deaf people consider their condition to be more of a culture than a medical condition. Some people oppose medical treatments for hearing loss such as cochlear implants on the grounds that they are trying to 'fix' a culture. They would see it as equivalent to trying to whiten the skin of an African or Asian person.

Do they find the term "the deaf world" offensive or OK?

I've never heard it & the term hasn't come to mind so I've never asked them - will do so though. RainyDay is correct about the culture point - in fact "deaf culture" itself is a term also in common use in the deaf community.

Re: Rude presenter on The cafe on RTE

My 6 1/2 year did ask me what the word spa meant,and this is why I mentioned it.
s up for a laught but anyone who mocks people less
Maybe the people with smart comments don't have kid so the have nothing to compare it (rudeness on tv) to. Whereas you would be afraid of your kid using that word. But on the plus side, i don't even think the kids watching that show would understand that "eurospa" is a joke of spastic persons, so i don't think you'd need to worry there imo.

We should value comments like this equally with those that actually make sense.
Sorry dont know what happened there, just wanted to say I have o real time for people who mock people who appear to be less unfortunate than others.RTE did say sorry for the comment made so I hope lesson is learned from that presenter.

Sorry dont know what happened there, just wanted to say I have o real time for people who mock people who appear to be less unforunate than others
Fortunate?
dodo said:
RTE did say sorry for the comment made so I hope lesson is learned from that presenter.
Presenter? - That's bad I didn't realise it was a presenter, It would've been bad enough if 'twas was a guest. (Because their guests are never usually of the highest IQ)

Sorry dont know what happened there, just wanted to say I have o real time for people who mock people who appear to be less unfortunate than others.
Many people with certain conditions might not consider themselves less fortunate than others!

(Because their guests are never usually of the highest IQ)

Now we are mocking the intellectually afflicted.

Why do people always feel the need to tip toe around others with obvious disablities such as being deaf, blind, physically handicapped etc. They don't live in the deaf world they live in the real world, like us all. Granted people with disablities sometimes make us feel uncomfortable to be around because we don't know how to interact or go into PC overload, but surely everyone needs to relax a little. The emphasis of the word 'spa' on a kids show is improper because it is a swear word of sorts and kids shows should not promote bad language. The use of the word between adults is harmless enough in my opinion.

The word 'spa'? Do you really think this? I'm genuinely shocked.

I possibly keep bad company, but spa, nutter, nut-job, loon, mentalist, have all been heard and I would never look shocked or remonstrate with someone for saying them. Amadán, luder, flute were used in the past and nobody would bat an eye so why should we now. These words are usually used in jest and I think they should be taken as light hearted and are far and away less offensive than most of the strong swear words constantly in circulation today.

These words are usually used in jest and I think they should be taken as light hearted and are far and away less offensive than most of the strong swear words constantly in circulation today.
I agree. I think people have a tendency to over-react at such words. (If it's deliberately meant to offend, then you're right to be disgusted) The thing is, the OP should have turned off the tv (station) the first time they heard it used. If you hear it and leave it on I guess you aren't really that upset in the first place?

I agree. I think people have a tendency to over-react at such words. (If it's deliberately meant to offend, then you're right to be disgusted) The thing is, the OP should have turned off the tv (station) the first time they heard it used. If you hear it and leave it on I guess you aren't really that upset in the first place?
Yes - but having heard it and been offended by it surely they are perfectly entitled to complain (ideally to RTE and/or the BCI (?) if they see fit)? It would be different if it was what somebody might consider "offensive" images or language preceded by an advisory warning etc.

I possibly keep bad company, but spa, nutter, nut-job, loon, mentalist, have all been heard and I would never look shocked or remonstrate with someone for saying them. Amadán, luder, flute were used in the past and nobody would bat an eye so why should we now. These words are usually used in jest and I think they should be taken as light hearted and are far and away less offensive than most of the strong swear words constantly in circulation today.

Do you think that this approach might contribute to the stigmatisation of mental health issues? And possibly in some way towards our high suicide rates?

Do you think that this approach might contribute to the stigmatisation of mental health issues? And possibly in some way towards our high suicide rates?
Even though that's a very good point, It's not entirely up to the peoplle surrounding persons with mental health probelms/depression to be mature. Would you not say that if you take offense to "words" you are being, even slightly childish? I was always taught that when/if people make fun of you you should just ignore them, so if the young men were psychologically stronger, the suicide rates would not be so high.
I realise that it would be an irrational decision to harm one's self but in the end you just need to be strong and feel sorry for the insecurity of the person who makes fun of others in order to raise their own self-esteem.

Back