Rude presenter on The cafe on RTE "childrens programme" "eurospa"

I still can't think of an obvious Irish/RTE example though as mentioned by RainyDay above.

Could be a sad reflection on the amount of homemade drama on our screens as much as anything. To be fair to RTE, they have done some very good programmes such as the one on St. Itas hospital in Portrane but I agree with the point that there is a lack of people with disabilities in mainstream programmes.

there is a lack of people with disabilities in mainstream programmes.
On the other hand perhaps there are people with disabilities that we don't know about because they are not obvious (e.g. like blindness, paraplegism etc.). I guess it also depends on how widely you define "disability" - e.g. does it include, say, psychiatric/mental illness such as depression or bipolar disorder, ADD/ADHD/Asperger's Syndrome, illiteracy/innumeracy, dyslexia etc.?

Clubman....

i hope im not picking you up wrong, but that character is not presented as though his sight is fine, but rather the fact that his blindness is not a disability to him.... the other characters dont go 'can i help you with that' or ' can i get it for you' etc.. because they are trying to show that he is not 'disabled'.... (which is a term becoming very un-pc in its own right....)

i hope im not picking you up wrong, but that character is not presented as though his sight is fine, but rather the fact that his blindness is not a disability to him.... the other characters dont go 'can i help you with that' or ' can i get it for you' etc..
The few times I saw the programme I thought that the character was able to see or supposed to be able to see since he would wander into scenes without the aid of a cane etc. I just thought it was a bit odd and assumed that he was a blind person playing a sighted person or something.

'disabled'.... (which is a term becoming very un-pc in its own right....)
Somebody better tell the various statutory and non-statutory with "disabled/disability" in their names so!

Re: Rude presenter on The cafe on RTE

I thought this was an issue that people would not make fun of on AAM but I suppose I was wrong, after all I did post in letting of steam and not shooting the breeze With so many smart comments on here then I should not have been surprised with the comments made on the cafe.
Maybe the people with smart comments don't have kid so the have nothing to compare it (rudeness on tv) to. Whereas you would be afraid of your kid using that word. But on the plus side, i don't even think the kids watching that show would understand that "eurospa" is a joke of spastic persons, so i don't think you'd need to worry there imo.

Re: Rude presenter on The cafe on RTE

Maybe the people with smart comments don't have kid so the have nothing to compare it (rudeness on tv) to. Whereas you would be afraid of your kid using that word. But on the plus side, i don't even think the kids watching that show would understand that "eurospa" is a joke of spastic persons, so i don't think you'd need to worry there imo.
On a related note...
Ian Robin Dury was born at his parents' home at 43 Weald Rise, Harrow Weald, Harrow (although, probably because he felt that his true birthplace was not in keeping with his "cockney wide boy" public persona, he often claimed that he was born in Upminster, Havering). He lived with the effects of polio, which he contracted at the age of seven — very likely, he believed, from a swimming pool at Southend on Sea during the 1949 Polio Epidemic. His 1981 song Spasticus Autisticus, intended to mark the International Year of Disabled Persons, was banned by the BBC despite having been written by a disabled person. The lyrics were uncompromising:

So place your hard-earned peanuts in my tin
And thank the Creator you're not in the state I'm in
So long have I been languished on the shelf
I must give all proceedings to myself

The song's refrain, "I'm spasticus, autisticus" was inspired by the response of the rebellious Roman gladiators in the film Spartacus, who, when instructed to identify their leader, all answered, "I am Spartacus," to protect him.

As a matter of interest, what is the currently acceptable term?

There are different views on this. Some use the term 'people with disabilities' in order to put the person first. Some use the term 'disabled people' with the intention of showing that it is society which is disabling the person, but personally I think the latter approach is a bit too subtle for most.

The original post was about a tv presenter on The Café (what is essentially a young persons programme) using a derogatory term " You're a Spa" to describe the programme "You're A Star". I was shocked when I heard him say it the first time and it was repeated twice later in the programme.
On this thread, we then had a few posters having a big grin at the spelling errors in the original post, even though the intent of the first post was quite clear.
Perhaps some posters should read posting guideline 19:
“Some threads stray off topic to such an extent that the discussion bears no relation to the original question. If you want to introduce a new question, start a new topic.
Off-topic banter which distracts from the original question will be deleted
The use of the word Spa in the context in which it was used is totally unacceptable for any television presenter and he should apologise.
The word Spa was a derogatory term in the UK in the 80’s and became much more widely used by children following a television appearance on Blue Peter in 1981 by Joey Deacon who had cerebral palsy. Children began to use the term Spa(z) and Joey as terms of ridicule.
In 1994 the Spastics Society (UK) changed its name to SCOPE and many believe this was due to the use of Spa as a derogatory term.
More recently Tiger Woods apologised for his use of the word “Spaz” when he used it to describe a bad round of golf.
Also, Nintendo recalled a game in July of this year (Mario Party 8) because it contained the phrase ”Turn the train spastic!”
For anyone who would like to read what are considered acceptable terms by disabled people‘s organisations:
http://www.disabilitynow.org.uk/campaigns/hackedoff/hackedoffguide.pdf

these people.
Actually I suspect that terms like that are probably more offensive - i.e. lumping all disabled/blind/deaf/etc. people into one group and assuming that they are all of the same opinion on a particular matter such as this!

Actually I suspect that terms like that are probably more offensive - i.e. lumping all disabled/blind/deaf/etc. people into one group and assuming that they are all of the same opinion on a particular matter such as this!
That's a good point actually, although i didn't mean it like that, but if someone took offense to me saying that i would totally understand. But if, for example, a deaf person took offense to me saying he/she is deaf I would want to scream.
But come to think of it, if i was a "sign language user" i would see it diferently as it would be on my conscience.

How would "The Deaf", "Healthy", "The Blind" "Handicapped" or "An Invalid" offend someone?!
Sn@kebite, I'm no expert in the subject. I merely added the link to show what is the thinking of organisations representing disabled people.
I would suggest that the thinking is that they are people first, rather that just being categorised based on a disability.

Sn@kebite, I'm no expert in the subject. I merely added the link to show what is the thinking of organisations representing disabled people.
I would suggest that the thinking is that they are people first, rather that just being categorised based on a disability.
Yes, sorry i wasn't directing that particular post of mine toward you. I was just asking rhetorically.

But if, for example, a deaf person took offense to me saying he/she is deaf I would want to scream.

There is a huge difference between saying that a person is deaf (or say, black) and referring to a group as the deaf (or say, the blacks).

It's maybe not as unusual as it sounds.

Not wanting to generalise about disability groups, but I believe that deaf people in particular can have quite a 'closed' community and often prefer not to participate in the wider able bodied world even when they are able to. As a consequence, the deaf community has a plethora of alternative events/groups etc.

but I believe that deaf people in particular can have quite a 'closed' community and often prefer not to participate in the wider able bodied world
What is the "able bodied world" and how are deaf people not "able bodied"? :confused: All of the bodies on the Miss Deaf World programme looked pretty able to me!

I would not mind being a judge on Miss Blind world pagent you would have to feel everyone on show
(I love daydreaming)

Back