Rude presenter on The cafe on RTE "childrens programme" "eurospa"

dodo

I was watching with my children the cafe on rte 2,The presenter who along with his guest Joe something from a daytime show where both on charity eurostar,But I could not believe hearing for a 2nd time the presenter say eurospa I thought this was uncalled for and really in bad taste and should not be spoken on telly or any where else for that matter just to get a cheap laugh.

Re: Rude presenter on The cafe on RTE

I thought this was an issue that people would not make fun of on AAM but I suppose I was wrong, after all I did post in letting of steam and not shooting the breeze With so many smart comments on here then I should not have been surprised with the comments made on the cafe.

Re: Rude presenter on The cafe on RTE

dodo, I agree that the comments were in very bad taste, particularly as they were made on a children’s programme.

This is indeed a sign of poor judgement on behalf of their presenter. I very much doubt if he would make a 'eurofag' or 'euronigger' joke, but for some reason it is considered acceptable to use derogatory language about people with disabilities.

However, this probably isn't the biggest problem about representation of people with disabilites in the media. When was the last time you saw a deaf person, or a blind person or a wheelchair user in a mainstream RTE drama or comedy? Better still, when was the last time you saw a disabled person on RTE where the topic was not about their disability? Can you recall ever seeing a disabled person getting laid or getting rich or getting fired or getting snappy with their partner, i.e. being seen on an equal basis to those around them? Wouldn't that make a pleasant change from the tragic/heroic storylines that seem to be the only chances a disabled person gets to appear on RTE?

Penny Pocket on BBC's Balamory shown on Den Tots on RTE2 every weekday morning.
Indeed - I was actually going to mention Balamory. Carrie Weaver on ER was another positive example, though they did fall into the trap of going for the 'miracle cure operation' story in one of the later series.

Is it too much to hope for an Irish example or two?

Can you recall ever seeing a disabled person getting laid or getting rich or getting fired or getting snappy with their partner, i.e. being seen on an equal basis to those around them? Wouldn't that make a pleasant change from the tragic/heroic storylines that seem to be the only chances a disabled person gets to appear on RTE?

They are not alone in stereotypes, cops are divorced with drink problems, career women have relationship issues i.e. usually single in 30's, bussinessmen are sleazy, fat people are funny, lead characters are 'beautiful people'. TV and movies are formulaic, we see something that isn't entirely based on real life it just looks like a nicer example of it. TV is used primarily as a removal from the drab and dull and I don't see that changing in the short term. People with disabilities do not fit with the tv execs profile of must see tv, there used to be/still is 'the token black guy', which may progress to the token 'disabled guy' but I don't see it happening tbh

Dodo, I agree. The 'smart comments' posted are a reflection of the ignorance of TV and Radio broadcasters who dont seem aware of who they may be offending or why. Ive lost count of the times you hear people described as a 'mentalist' or 'nutter', which are offensive to people who suffer with mental illness, which statistically is 1 in 4 people. I wouldnt wish to see politically correctness go too far, however a little thought and respect to the wording and content would help.

Emmerdale had a character in a wheelchair for a number of years, and the actor himself was not disabled. It was a brave and challenging thing for the producers to do. He was portrayed as a successful businessman, who had no problem attracting women, albeit for his cash. He was also a father. Very little if anything about his character had to do with his disability.

What about the likes of Phoenix Nights ?

AFAIK, the fact that the main character is wheelchair bound is basically incidental and has never in itself been exploited for comedy value.

There's also a blind character in the CBeebies programme Me Too! and not only is his condition (hopefully I won't be chastised by the PC police for using that word? :eek:) seemingly not really referred to but I think he appears in the programme as somebody whose sight is fine. But I could be wrong...

I still can't think of an obvious Irish/RTE example though as mentioned by RainyDay above.

Back