Royal Canal Park/Rathborne/Earlswood

they keep saying it is being delayed because of paperwork and the estate agents saying the creche has to be occupied...
when you ask what exactly they mean that by that, they don't know.
The creche by the way is a different building to where i've bought.
madness...

Firstly, remember that estate agents are very good at lying. I was in RCP one day having a nosey, i asked the lad on hand why rcp was about 15K cheaper than rathborne (several hundred yards away), at first he said "where's that at", I replied, "just down the road", "dunno" he says, I then suggested that Ballymore are probably being socially responsible, he agreed, saying that they've got a great reputation for that sort of thing!! I then went down to Earlswood and asked the same question, in reverse of course, the agent there assured me that the price differential was because of the superior quality of materials and finish used in Rathborne/Earlswood, he said "that construction costs account for the most of the cost of the house", obviously forgetting about planning and site costs!!

not in there, but was researching it for me brodder, I know a fair few people in the rathborne end though - delays have'nt been too bad for most of them, but one couple were waiting for almost a year.

don't think i could wait another month never mind a year.
its absolutely outrageous and we are told nothing only lies

Re: Earlswood - does anyone know anything about this estate?

Kellier interested to see if you went ahead with the Earlswood 4-Bed. We have been offered a cancellation of type A 4-Bed and are considering it. Did you get more information on the apartments nearby? How much was the property, we are being quoted 585,000 while I believe they were 575,00 in May?

We bought one. Interested to note that the price has increased. Are they all sold yet?

Hi
We put a deposit on a 4 bed in Earlswood but cancelled after researching the development/location etc. Not trying to put anyone off but here are the reasons why we decided against it
Proximity of social and affordable housing
Management fees - among the highest in Dublin I would say
Traffic is likely to be a nightmare in and out of the estate particularly at Cardiffsbridge end
Very poor telecoms service, apparently only one provider and the service is expensive and poor (this topic is covered elsewhere on this site)
As the entire area is going to be developed over next 5-10 years it will be impossible to sell the property before then - who will want to pay stamp duty when they can buy a new place?
Security - when the developers move on will it be safe?

Hi bmclough

I sent you a pm a couple of days ago on it, not sure if you got it. We didn't go with it in the end for basically the same reasons as OMD.
I'm surprised to hear that two are left as when we put our deposit down there were only three of the type with the garages left so either they didn't sell or people pulled out. There was a lot of initial interest.
I think the house was fantastic but in the end it was the block of social housing across the road that put us off. It's a block of 22 units and we were told by the agents that it was going to be managed. However, when we rang the agency that was supposed to manage it they said that they had no idea if they would be managing it and from researching on the internet, a development in Chapelizod went up in arms against them trying to manage units in their development. It just didn't sit well with us and all our families who came out to see it thought the same. We would have been half way down the block looking out at the road and their balconies and we just didn't want to take the chance with that much money.
Plus things like the management fee being so high, no where for your bins etc all little things like that.
Yes they were 575 in May, they way things are going I'm not surprised to hear they've gone up 10k. I don't know much about the apartments except that they'll be released in Oct/Nov.

Kellier

bmclough
i think the reason you are being quoted 585 is because its an end of terrace, the mid terraces were 575. Is that the one that HOK currently have listed on myhome?

Regarding the telecommunications provider, does anyone know the name of the company?

Hi

Talked with HOK and they are saying that the price for all types has now been rounded un to 585K. They are only 2 left both mid terrace, 1 type A and 1 type A1.

They are not going to advertise them until the apartments are released in September (I think).

Great houses but too much money for an area under development,

Thanks
Brendan

Hi Tazz,
The telecommunications provider is SMART Telecom.

I was surprised to read so many negative comments about this lovely development; we bought a 3-bed duplex apartment last November and we've enjoyed our time here so much. The space that we have is fantastic, you can truly enjoy being at home and not feel like a prisoner of some tiny little apartment where the only thought that keeps you somewhat happy is the fact that you house is located in a "good" area. It is true that this is a developing area, but everything in this world has a beginning and if you really want to experience the full potential and everything this area has to offer (which is a lot - you only need to research it a little bit), you need to be patient and simply enjoy life.

And why are people so concerened about such unimportant things like the "one telecoms provider..." or "the social housing..."?? It makes no sense, as if the TV is going to make your life any better or as if you are going to share your house with these "horrible" people... i think it's sad that some people think in that way and let unimportant things get in their way of being truly happy about what really matters. And what matters is having a spacious, beautiful family home, in a lovely area like Earlswood/Rathborne, where you can find peace and quiet, and what is more important - space.

I lived and worked (and still work) in Blackrock for years, and although I recognise it as an absolutely beautiful part of Dublin, unless you have millions in your bank account, how on earth can you afford to own something big and spacious? In Earlswood/Rathborne you can. And I know that compromises will always be needed, but that's what life is after all.

omd68 said:
Hi
We put a deposit on a 4 bed in Earlswood but cancelled after researching the development/location etc. Not trying to put anyone off but here are the reasons why we decided against it
Proximity of social and affordable housing
Management fees - among the highest in Dublin I would say
Traffic is likely to be a nightmare in and out of the estate particularly at Cardiffsbridge end
Very poor telecoms service, apparently only one provider and the service is expensive and poor (this topic is covered elsewhere on this site)
As the entire area is going to be developed over next 5-10 years it will be impossible to sell the property before then - who will want to pay stamp duty when they can buy a new place?
Security - when the developers move on will it be safe?
It's good to see that people are becoming very skeptical indeed of these kinds of developments that are being hard-sold under the auspices of 'lifestyle'. When you examine the details of these deals (multiples of €100k), only to find out later about management fees of €2,000+, broadband cartels, appaling traffic and social welfare recipients, one begins to wonder.

I think the game is up regarding these out-of-town apartment developments especially when you consider what you can buy in central locations in cities like Berlin for less than half the price.

I would bail out of that place ASAP.

I also encourage AAM users to consider reading some of the polls and posts over on http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=38 (boards.ie) to give you an idea as to how the market is thinking at the moment.

Please keep this thread on topic, i.e. RCP, Rathborne etc.

Wider issues can be discussed in a separate thread(s).

Thanks.

cellopoint
I am not trying to slag off the development, just to share why it wasn't right for us, and to help others who may be trying to make this decision. For anyone who works in IT, effective telecoms supply is extremely important.

Back