Royal Canal Park/Rathborne/Earlswood

Is that lad not from Beverly Hills? Maybe thats where hes getting his misplaced snobbery?

I knew I would get this type of response, just knew it. When I stated house proud I was being polite, what I should have said was these properties in the area are synonymous with Health Board, Affordable Housing, Social Welfare, Students, Low Paid workforce and your Joe Bloggs Tenants. Quite similar to Inchicore on the South side. People from these various sectors do not have an affinity to look after property. Why? A large proportion of people in this region do not or only recently have bought out their fee simple from the Corporation or City Council within the last 10 years. Plus a large proportion of properties were in the hands of a small amount of developers / investors who let them out to all and sundry. I have obviously hit the Cabra / Finglas West Left Wing peoples party front and do not expect to win.

I do not know why Phibsboro is coming into this as that is a completely different property region altogether. But to all and sundry if Cabra and Finglas West was such a great place why are they at the bottom of the property list?

“Fly” take a trip down to Fassagh Avenue, The Homestead, The Cabra House, last time I was on that road two horses from the halting site blocked the railway line at the rear, which leads to RCP. At the same time, their pals were busy, robbing and sub sequentially petrol bombing the local Asian store beside the Centra. How do I know? My pal has 7 of these smallholdings in the area and now just needs to get out after making his money. You can’t even have a new car outside your property without the little youngsters having a pop at the car; twice he had his car logo popped off his bonnet. But you guys know best, I suppose it is a matter if sticking to what you know or what you are used to.

Head for RCP , towards the railway line ,ask anyone where the railway brigde is in Cabra. Go over the hump back bridge , go past the alloy wheel unit , to your left is an entrance to RCP. Stay on that road as if you are heading for the houses in front of you (Finglas West) and you will see a few sites to your left, a scrap yard and Caravan site. If you get a puncture it will be OK as the lad there "dus de remowelds" . Then keep going , up to to your right and the head up to the Cappagh Hospital for another dollop of Tinker Town.

If you are thinking about somewhere else , near the Dart , beside the Malahide Road , minutes from Town and very close to the seafront in Clontarf the "Timbermills apartments" in Artane might suit. €330K for first floor aparently, checked them out last week.

there is a bad halting site on dunsink lane, now its blocked off at one
end that leads to the navan road,
but the halting site is at the top of the other end rathoath road and this
is a very short distance from RCP.

that whole area where they built the 3 estates used to be a no go area
at night because of all the joyriders from finglas,cabra also full of illegal
dumping.

i decided against investing in one of these properties because:

it has no services, you cannot walk to any local shops.
its a hugh walk from RCP to the train at broombridge or ashtown.
its a massive development with not intergration with the surrounding area.
its in a bad area finglas\cabra.
developer lied about building a new train station.

you only ahve to look at the security on the developments to see what the developer thinks of the area.

90210, what do you mean by "Affordable Housing" as in

>>Health Board, Affordable Housing, Social Welfare, Students, Low Paid workforce and your Joe Bloggs Tenants. <<

Glenbhoy said:
One other point, it seems to me that the Phoenix Park development is grossly ovedrpriced in comparison to these, with Rathborne being the most comparable and within 3/4 of a mile of Phoenix Park dvlpmnt (and closer to the train station). Is this purely a marketing issue. ie "live in the park, watch the deer roam as you enjoy your glass of wine, with friends.....".
Good point. I checked out Phoenix Park Racecourse when it went on sale last year and my jaw hit the floor at the prices they were charging. Not alone are they at a premium over Rathborne (which as you say is closer to the rail station) they are even at a premium to well established upmarket estates like Chesterfield and Belleville onto which they border. It is, I suppose, a marketing thing - mainly driven by the close proximity of "Old" Castleknock with the classic detached houses on a quarter acre and the equally upmarket Georgian Village.

And the traffic - I shudder to think how that will work. Can you image the congestion that a right turn from the Racecourse onto Navan Road will cause in the morning?

Observer said:
Good point. I checked out Phoenix Park Racecourse when it went on sale last year and my jaw hit the floor at the prices they were charging. Not alone are they at a premium over Rathborne (which as you say is closer to the rail station) they are even at a premium to well established upmarket estates like Chesterfield and Belleville onto which they border. It is, I suppose, a marketing thing - mainly driven by the close proximity of "Old" Castleknock with the classic detached houses on a quarter acre and the equally upmarket Georgian Village.

And the traffic - I shudder to think how that will work. Can you image the congestion that a right turn from the Racecourse onto Navan Road will cause in the morning?

race course was 360 when they first went on sale now they are 455,

most people who are buying them are castleknock people who are buying and 3 at a time.

quickquestio said:
race course was 360 when they first went on sale now they are 455,

most people who are buying them are castleknock people who are buying and 3 at a time.

Sounds like a bubble to me................ hold on tight!

Roy

Well, they sold put quickly, all right. I think everything was gone in the first phase early in the first weekend. I presume 455 is for a two-bed? Whatever about owner-occupiers, I can't see it producing value for money for investors - rents will hardly be more than €1200 - €1300pm.

I moved into Royal Canal Park just about three months ago. Bought there because it seemed good value and was slightly apprehensive initially but I'm delighted with my purchase. I've been catching the bus into work in the mornings and I've found that if I catch the No.120 at 8.50am, I'll be over in Ballsbridge in time for a 10am start. The train is an option too, of course, but building work at the Rathborne end of the site has cut off pedestrian traffic on the tow path on my way up to Ashtown station. However, if I head off in the other direction along the canalside walk, however, I hit Broome bridge in about 12 minutes - after crossing two roads (one of which can be bit dodgy). I can still make it to my desk before my colleagues have to send out a search party. As others have pointed out, though, the train is reliably packed by the time I get on. A more pressing issue is the lack of lighting along the tow path once you get off the train. Another reason I've come to rely on the bus is it feels extremely unsafe to walk along the tow path after it gets dark.
My biggest issue with RCP is the lack of shops and any sort of focus. The only place you are likely to meet your neighbours is either at the bus stop or the gym. And sometimes I do feel like I'm living in an enclave, needing my car to buy a pint of milk. Trekked up to Tesco in Clearwater on Saturday and it was a miserable march. Abandoned bikes, hotheads using one of the paths in Tolka Valley Park as a speedway on their annoying little motorbikes... But apart from that, I think I've done well overall

Earlswood - does anyone know anything about this estate?

We've put a deposit on a four bedroom townhouse in Earlswood but to be honest don't know anything about the area or development. Also we are going to be located across the road from a block of social housing.

We are a bit concerned about the social housing aspect as it's a 22 block unit so may potentially have a lot of people living in it. Has anyone else been in this situation? Are we worrying about nothing?? All our families and friends are putting us off it.

If anyone has any feedback or thoughts can you let me know?
We don't want to spend a fortune on a house and then regret it later and be stuck there for a long time!
Any feedback on the area would also be much appreciated

Thanks!

Re: Earlswood - does anyone know anything about this estate?

plenty of threads on earlswood/rathborne/royal canal park on here.
The social housing thing is a new issue though (i'd be more concerned about the lack of tv and broadband - despite what the developers say!!). Is this 'social' housing in fact 'affordable' housing - i don't know, but i would suspect that it is, since i think it's affordable housing that must be provided by developers - open to correction on both these points though.

Glenbhoy

There's two blocks. One of social housing with 22 units and another block of affordable housing. Each new development has to have 20% of these type of units, 10 of each so the two blocks would be in front of us. I wouldn't be concerned at all about the afforable, it's the social that I'm worried about as it's a concentration in one area and right across from us!

Hi,
can anyone tell if they too are experiencing delays in awaiting a date for snagging at Royal Canal Park??
Its unbelieveable, am waiting 6 months now... and am so annoyed

Re: Buying off the plans and clueless

would be interestec to hear if anyone out there is experiencing delays in awaiting snag dates at Royal Canal Park. I am waiting now 6 months to get a date and I bought off the plans in late 2004. Was told it would be ready December 05 and now into Mayo 06 and still nothing.

quite a few of the units in the third and forth block are still empty in RCP.

block 3 is finished ages so not sure what's going on with it, they might be having problems getting them rented, as block three is up and going since last sept!.

if this is true, expect less stringent tenant checks...

also, if you have to cross the bridge over the track, be aware, it was closed for 18 minutes one day last week from 8:46 til 9:04, I was stuck in it!

usually it's only 6-10 minutes, but this is playing havoc with the bus timetable too, so despite intending to bus it, I now drive as it's just too hit and miss!! only other option to get to work on time is to take a bus maybe 30 minutes earlier. I regularly went for the 7:50 bus only for three of them to to turn up at 8:15-25!.

Definitely not as advertised... they're supposed to come every ten minutes...

as you can tell, not a happy resident, keeping a close eye on which way it's going...

I just want to get in it at this stage to be honest. Hooke MacDonald and Builder have no answers. Somebody's not telling the truth at this stage.

That's an extremely frustrating situation to be in. Have you tried speaking to the site manager on the project in Ballymore? If you ring Ballymore out there in Palmerstown, they should be able to give you some direction. As in so many other areas in life, you should probably be prepared to be the most annoying - yet also creepily polite - person you can be.
For some reason, things have been moving very slowly. There wasn't much sign of life in the Cassian block that faces the central boulevard until relatively recently - and they were originally supposed to be ready back in November. I happen to know some people did move in at that time, but occupants seemed slow to take over the place.
On an unrelated topic, it looks as if RCP is finally about to get its own shop. Planning notices for signage and an off-licence appeared on the doors of the empty unit at the corner of Cassian Court.

I have tried called, got the name of the Contract Manager over there he is supposed to be calling me next week. I was told I was one of a few people that ring constantly which I find hard to believe that no one else is screaming at this stage. I have become that constant nagger but sure what can you do only keep ringing. Estate Agents just tell lies when you call them. Sigh..
The gas thing is I got into the apartment to take measurements and it is completely finished apartment from very minor stuff like light fittings etc.

Back