Rent tax credit : €500 from 2022 i.e. this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding was that each taxpayer can only claim a total of €500 regardless of how many eligible tenancies.
Yes, very valid point. The credit is capped at the lower of 20% of rent paid, or 500 per tax payer. I read too much into "we".

For example in the case of a jointly assessed couple with 3 children in qualifying courses etc., they can get a maximum credit of 1,000. Or if not jointly assessed, they each claim for 1 child.

Thinking about this more, if a parent pays part of their student child's rent, my reading is that both parent and child can claim.

I sent an enquiry to revenue about if there is any update with the refund I am due on my Form 11 tax return and they said I didn't provide RTB number in Form 11 and I have to provide it via myEnquiry. If this field is mandatory then it should be marked as one in Form 11 as you can leave it empty and continue with the completing the form.

And there is no guide about where to find this number. RTB's check the register page doesn't provide any registration number. I only have Reference RT Number from the mail I got from RTB and this number doesn't fit in that field so I don't even know what number they are asking for. I sent them this number and scan of the letter I got but I don't know if this is the number they are looking for actually or not.

Has anyone had the rent credit approved for 2022? What information did you supply?

I'm expecting a large refund from my 2022 return submitted early January, but have heard nowt from Revenue. Suspect the rent claim is holding it up, despite me providing the only RTB reference I have. Have followed up with Revenue but expecting the response may be same as to barbaros.

Both times I have now gotten the tax credit without supplying the RTB number (landlord is registered and tax compliant) Perhaps I am just getting lucky?

How does claiming the 2023 one work? When it says rent paid to date, we'll just be inputting 2 months rent? What kind of payment will be get? Sorry ELI5, don't get it. Thanks

Both times I have now gotten the tax credit without supplying the RTB number (landlord is registered and tax compliant) Perhaps I am just getting lucky?
Revenue say you don't need it but they may ask for it at a later date.

I applied for the 2023 one on either Sunday or Monday cant remember. Got an updated tax credit certificate, will I be getting an updated SOL?

What's the payment schedule of Rent tax credit 2023? Does your salary go up by a bit every month during 2023 or is it one time thing?

When you first apply for it, you will get back paid from January to whatever week or month it is. Then it is added on to your tax credit so you will see a little extra in your monthly wage.

When you first apply for it, you will get back paid from January to whatever week or month it is. Then it is added on to your tax credit so you will see a little extra in your monthly wage.
What I would expect, when claiming a new tax credit in year, is that Revenue only issue updated tax free allowances. Your employer payroll is then responsible for reducing your taxes in the first month to compensate for the unused portion of tax credits to date.

For 2022 rent tax credit, I got 500 euro bump on my tax return. I thought I would get +500 euro on top of my monthly salary for once but it didn't happened like that. Just a bit got increased instead.

My 2022 rent was due in advance so I paid my January 2022 rent at the end of Dec 2021. Can this payment be considered for my 2022 tax credit ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back