Rent tax credit : €500 from 2022 i.e. this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not clear from what has been published so far; the note refers to 'PPR' and I believe there will be a requirement for the tenancy to be registered with RTB, which isn't the case currently for rent a room.
I suspect this requirement will disappear as quickly as it was announced. But yes, its also a good way to smoke out unregistered landlords.

But yes, its also a good way to smoke out unregistered landlords
The thing is you dont have to register if you are resident in the property and letting out rooms. Even if the income is greater than 14k and you correctly declare it.

The online registration doesn't allow you to register a single licensee. It asks how many adults in property (lets say 3, 1 owner, 2 sharers), then how many tenants (2 in this case) but you cant progress without putting in the names of 3 tenants, so you have to put the owner as a tenant?

Then if one of your sharers moves out, you have to register all the sharers again?

I dont see how this will work.

Seamus Coffey looked at this and in most cases where a reason could be discerned it was things like: renovation, bereavement, resident nursing home, house on the market, etc.

Good luck taxing those.....
If the government was serious about making vacant homes available for rent it would set a serious tax penalty, not 3 times the rate of property tax (i.e. around 700 a year for most homes). It's a joke.

Reactions: jpd
Hi all,

Was about to take a look at my taxes for 2022 on PAYE online.

I was speaking to my landlord about the renters tax credit and he advised there is some hold up registering us with the RTB but he is taking care of it.

While I am waiting for this will I be able to process the rest of my requests such as my reclaim on health expenses, reclaim tax relief at source on my health insurance etc then do my rent credit later in the year or do they all have to be claimed at the same time?

Many thanks.

Hi all,

Was about to take a look at my taxes for 2022 on PAYE online.

I was speaking to my landlord about the renters tax credit and he advised there is some hold up registering us with the RTB but he is taking care of it.

While I am waiting for this will I be able to process the rest of my requests such as my reclaim on health expenses, reclaim tax relief at source on my health insurance etc then do my rent credit later in the year or do they all have to be claimed at the same time?

Many thanks.
Hold up in registering??? How long are ye living there?

Just go back and add the rental tax credit when the RTB registration has been sorted.
I'd claim it now. There's no problem in claiming it once the rental is genuine. The RTB are freely admitting that their "customers" are experiencing problems registering lettings on their shambolic platform.

I'd claim it now. There's no problem in claiming it once the rental is genuine. The RTB are freely admitting that their "customers" are experiencing problems registering lettings on their shambolic platform.
I thought that you couldn't complete the Revenue myAccount form for claiming it without the RTB registration details? Maybe you can...

I thought that you couldn't complete the Revenue myAccount form for claiming it without the RTB registration details? Maybe you can...
No idea, but aren't the RTB registration details (1) a matter for the landlord rather than the tenant (2) superfluous for rent relief claims from rent-a-room and certain other licensees/tenants?

No idea, but aren't the RTB registration details (1) a matter for the landlord rather than the tenant (2) superfluous for rent relief claims from rent-a-room and certain other licensees/tenants?
My recollection is that the myAccount form asks for the RTB registration number.

Edit: yes, my recollection was correct. See this snippet from Tax and Duty Manual - Part 15-01-11A.

Screenshot_20230102-222353.png

Last edited:
My recollection is that the myAccount form asks for the RTB registration number.

Edit: yes, my recollection was correct. See this snippet from Tax and Duty Manual - Part 15-01-11A.

View attachment 7037
If they're going to honour their promise to allow the credit to rent a room licensees, this will have to change. And fast.

If they're going to honour their promise to allow the credit to rent a room licensees, this will have to change. And fast.
From the snippet that I posted:
Where the tenancy is registered with the RTB, the claimant will be asked to provide the RTB registration number assigned to the tenancy.

I am able to submit a claim without providing any landlord or RTB information. Whether they come back and question it, I don't know. The manual effort in managing this could be huge for revenue....

I claimed using a reference number the RTB sent me previously, but I have no idea if that's actually the tenancy id being sought by Revenue.

The RTB site wasn't much help in clarifying if this reference number is the same thing, or indeed confirming that the tenancy is still registered; searching by eircode the tenancy is not found, but the tenancy (including eircode) is found when I search by partial street address.

Are you guys able to register? I tries to claim, but site told me not available until mid February?

Having problems doing a tax return through my revenue alright. It is letting me do a tax return and claim the credits including the rental credit and is giving me a reference at the end but when I exit My Revenue, the return is vanishing. I have done it twice now. Not getting any errors or messages. Going to put it down to time of year

Actually, just tried submitting without the rental credit and it went through fine. Pretty annoying that they let me do it if it is not available. They have made this much harder than it needs to be.

Last edited:
Are you guys able to register? I tries to claim, but site told me not available until mid February?
It's not available to claim for 2023 until mid-Feb.

The budget back-dated it to 2022, so we're claiming it now in our 2022 returns.

Submitting without the rental credit and it went through fine. Pretty annoying that they let me do it if it is not available. They have made this much harder than it needs to be.
My 2022 return seems to have submitted (shows up as pending waiting on Revenue to review/process) with the rental credit attached.

It's a bit crazy that every renter is going to have to submit a return for 2022. I'm hoping that by putting my expected end of tenancy date in the future, the credit might automatically show up for 2023 without me needing to claim it separately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back