recently been proposed to, booked a venue, how much will it all cost?

Just notice you have no cost penciled in for the groom's attire. His he going the "Full Monty"
ans if so you could save another €1000 on the grooms men if they did the same.

i did allow a grand for grooms attire in a previous post

I know someone getting married, they are paying €99/person for the meal and have the Cork city jazz band lined up for the reception. Madness or what?

Chocolate fountain? Favours? Upgraded deluxe rooms? And god forbid, bagipes?

(I repeat - feckin' bagpipes???)

This post will be deleted if not edited immediately wept! Don't let the "hotel" tacky up your special day with this kind of crap!

Who's in charge here?

Chocolate fountain? Favours? Upgraded deluxe rooms? And god forbid, bagipes?

(I repeat - feckin' bagpipes???)

This post will be deleted if not edited immediately wept! Don't let the "hotel" tacky up your special day with this kind of crap!

Who's in charge here?

Someone mentioned Jordan, but I just keep thinking footballers wives, especially on the chocolate fountain.

how does a chocolate fountain tacky up a wedding?

You wont even see the chocolate fountain wicklowlass - sure youd be mad to go near something like that in your white frock!!

i think chocolate fountains have gained a tacky reputation because they have been used by various 'less than classy' brides in recent times, like Jordan or some footballers wives. so what? if you want one have one.

We recently had our wedding reception in Lawlors Hotel in Naas, Co. Kildare.
We had the meal in the restaurant €55 a head for 4 courses and had 70 people. We had 40 bottles of wine at €22 per bottle. We then went up to the function room for the party, which cost nothing extra.
Total for reception was €4700. The restaurant and function room were decorated including chair covers and abundant flowers for no extra. They also gave us the bridal suite for free. (bedrooms are huge!!)

We did have a free bar before and after the meal which came to €2000.
The Dj was €520 and managed to blag a free photographer. Cake was 350. We used our own car, did my own make up and hair. Clothes incl wedding dress (traditional ivory wedding dress, god bless the internet!!) €800. oh and €150 for the registrar (civil marraige)
I would highly recommend the hotel, food was fab and found no fault the whole day.

Total for us = 8520
People are still saying what a wonderful day it was, We had a budget of 10K and managed to come in under budget.

my god, thats brilliant ,sounds like you had a lovely day!!!!
my friend is doing something similar, 60 people at 27 a head in our local hotel.

- buy dress in the sales (or 2nd hand:eek:...not to everyone taste)
Why the face for a 2nd hand dress? Let some other eejit will pay 3K for a designer dress they wear once, you can pick it up for half that or less.
I think it is Oxfam that has a designer wedding dress store in Dun Laoghaire, same experience, just a fraction of the price. (you don't have to tell anyone it is second hand if you don't want to).

my mother has taken it upon herself to book an app for me to go to the oxfam wedding shop and i am defo going!!!!

most of the dresses are new anyway!!

Sounds like mammy has her head screwed on. Couple of other areas to shave:

favours 300
Traditional favours are sugared almonds. (5, Health, Wealth, Happiness, Long Life and Fertility). Lidl sell these in large bags, wrap them nicely in netting and ribbon which matches your colours. Much nicer than personalised matches/mints - whatever is the trend now.

invites 300
Again, much nicer if home-made. Do you have any friends who are creative/computer whizzes who could do this in lieu of a pressie?

Sounds like mammy has her head screwed on. Couple of other areas to shave:

favours 300
Traditional favours are sugared almonds. (I think 5, not sure, there is some significance in it). Lidl sell these in large bags, wrap them nicely in netting and ribbon which matches your colours.

invites 300
Again, much nicer if home-made. Do you have any friends who are creative/computer whizzes who could do this in lieu of a pressie?
My aunt makes cards for a hobby , and i was going to ask her to make the invites but would i not run into trouble when it comes to the printing ? it would cost a fair bit? i really need to sit down an discuss it with her.

i never knew lidl did the almonds!! where could i find them ? what section so you know??

I edited my post to include the significance of the 5 almonds. you'll find the sugared almonds in the sweets section!!

I think your aunt would feel honoured to be asked. I'm sure she would see it as a challenge, you could print the bones of it out cheaply, and a night with your aunt, mam, you and close family with ribbon, crepe paper or whatever could turn into a very memorable evening.

I know I have spent a few nights pritt sticking dried flowers/ribbon onto invites and mass booklets with wine and good company! (I have been the cheap labour rather than the creative genius).

Why the face for a 2nd hand dress? Let some other eejit will pay 3K for a designer dress they wear once, you can pick it up for half that or less.
I think it is Oxfam that has a designer wedding dress store in Dun Laoghaire, same experience, just a fraction of the price. (you don't have to tell anyone it is second hand if you don't want to).

The face represents friends faces when I've suggested 2nd hand dresses. Soooo many people give out about the price of weddings but when you mention some obvious savings, I find you get a "poo" face.
Many of the 2nd hand dresses are being sold at a 30/50% discount of what was paid, which was probably too much. I reckon go for sale first 'cos you can get up to 70% off for a new dress that won't need cleaning. A friend recently bought a €1500 dress for just €300, and it's perfect for her.
After that, think about 2nd hand.

Back to Wicklowlass, you don't have a mortgage (which I guess I wrongly assumed most people will have or are going to have when they get married), so if you have the income & can afford it, go for what you really want and can afford and have a fantastic day. Put the bits you save on the silly stuff to an amazing honeymoon for you and the hubby and the kids. You'll remember that more than the fact the seats were covered with stupid covers (apparently €7.50 per seat?!?!)....that nearly 1 thousand extra to the honeymoon fund.

2nd hand dress sounds like a brilliant idea - or a sale one, whichever most savings are to be made on.

I like the sugared almonds idea also - you can probably buy net and ribbon bags V cheap on ebay or somewhere to package them.

Invites dont have to be expensive to print, dont do them with colour, and print on a nice yellowed parchment style paper - most people open them, read details and forget what they looked like - add a little pot pourri inside envelopes for nice touch.

Back