recently been proposed to, booked a venue, how much will it all cost?

just on the subject of a bagpiper - am i the only one who legs it past him and finds him annoying when i go to weddings? It just grates on my nerves!!

Well that was the 2006/07 figure, although with their net worth down now and people not feeling so flush with the value of their house back x% you may not do as well, but anything less than two 50s in an envelope :( especially since your spending around €50 per head for their meal.

The meal with wine and a toast is costing her €77 per head. (11550 for 150).
Do you realy need wine and a toast if you are trying to keep costs down.
Groomsmen attire is costing the same as the bridesmaids. Is it costing €1000 to hire dress suits?

yeah the grooms men hire is 1000 euro for them all including shoes.
the price for the meal without extras is 55 a head.
the parents rooms are automatically included in the package.

I'd ignore all their talk of 'packges'... a package is nothing more than them trying to include features you mightn't otherwise go for...they aren't doing you a favour by giving you a package of stuff you don't necessarily want or need... why not sit down and sort out EXACTLY what you want, and what you don't need.. and then go to the hotels requesting a quote for the things that you want..

I am not being smart but if I were you wicklowlass I couldn't justify spending that kind of money on one day when you have a mortgage and two children. Please go back to the drawing board.

Have you seen the bridal range in Debenhams?
Check out TK MAX for flower girls and bridesmaids attire.
You do not have to pay for transport or accommodation for anyone.
Do you know anyone who bakes from home that might make your cake for half the price of a shop.
The only things you should be paying for are:

Hotel: meal, wine is optional (cut out round of drinks) and bar ext. Some hotels throw bar ext. and other things in complimentary. Did you shop around hotelwise?
Band + d.j. (find someone who will do both and get a discount)
Your dress (debenhams)
Bridesmaid and flowergirl (tkmax)
Flowers (find a friend who does flower arranging)
Cake (find a friend who bakes)
Groom and best man (hire the suits)
invitation and booklets (do them yourself)
photographer (find a friend whos good at it)
rings (go back to where you bought engagement ring and get a discount)
hair and makeup and tan etc. (get one person to do all and get a discount)
Church soloist(have you got a friend who has a good voice)
Cars (surely you have a friend who has a merc?)

Of course by all means you will pay the friends or aquaintances who do the singing photography etc. but it won't cost a fraction of professional fees.

Just one other point; one bridesmaid and groomsman is enough and this would save a fortune too!

Also, I would wait until after the wedding and see how much money you get in pressies and use this to bring both of you and the kids off on a holiday. Forget €5k in budget for honeymoon.

We're going away to get married but its still going to work out pretty expensive! But we've the money in the bank to pay for it so just going for it, but trying to save where we can, it still all adds up!

My friend is getting married next year and she has booked a mutual friend to do the photography. This person does it as a hooby but has won loads of prizes and has excellent equipment. Cost is €500.

€1300 for a videographer is crazy. i have never seen a good wedding video. most are really tacky and amateur looking.
some of your guests will have their video cam's with them. ask them for the tapes after the wedding and someone you know will be able to put a little piece together on their mac or PC at home.

married last october,, so lucky with the weather, that whole weekend was fabulous

we did the whole big day thing,,

170 guests

piper for outside the church and led into meal 170 euro
flowers for church etc and used in hotel too 900 euro
priest 300 euro to one and 100 to other one
sacristan 50 euro
no alter boys ...
dvd ,, approx 900 euro

photograher,, used my friend ,, big time hobby so free, all though did pay for his room in hotel

wedding car,, borrowed a 06 merc, in silver,, free
dress,, 1950 euro,, BM paid
forget the bridesmaids dresses cost

their necklaces,, approx 300 euro
suits 750 euro,, ,, 5 in total

reception,, great meal,, choices and wine served, no toast paid for i think,,

i just booked hotel and gave a deposit of 1000 euro, sat dowm one night and went thru the menu with them,,

we had a great day,, band/ come disco was 1500,, and the lead singer also sang in the church for 200/ 250

finger food on arrival at hotel,, people got all they want to eat,, food was great, wine flowed,, tea etc later on and more finger food from hotel

cake was cut,, 3 tiers,, dont even think we got to taste it,, it was gone so fast,, that was 300 euro for the cake,, delivered to hotel that morning

so anyhow,, we stayed in hotel 2 night, as we had another get together /pi** up the next night in a local pub,

so this is the good bit i think,, went to check out that morning and asked for the bill,, i was expecting at least 10-12 k for the bill.....

apart from the 1000 deposit we paid ,, recpetion, 2 nights for us, photograhers room, one bridesmaids room, wine,, about 42 bottles, 12 white, 30 red ,, we owed .......................5500 euro

we got some great pressies, and went to maritius for HM, all inclusive 10 days i think,, hard to remember now.. 5500 for HMoon.

AT THE END OF THE DAY IT PRACTIALLY PAID For it self,,, i see people going way over the top IMO.

ive no mortgage, own my house, kids are coming on honeymoon

My friend is getting married next year and she has booked a mutual friend to do the photography. This person does it as a hooby but has won loads of prizes and has excellent equipment. Cost is €500.
yeah ive seen my photographers work recently did a friend of mines wedding ,also does it as hobby

Clonboy may I ask what hotel you had your Wedding Reciption in? It reads like a great day or should I say days. Congrats.

Wicklow lass my apologies, I just presumed you had a mortgage.

I have a mortgage and two children. I was thinking there's no way I personally would go down the expensive wedding route with the pressure of a mortgage.

I congratulate you on your engagement and wish you the best of luck. At the end of the day I think planning a wedding should be done taking into consideration what one can afford and not putting oneself into debt.

You know what budget is best for you so good luck with it.

Wicklow lass my apologies, I just presumed you had a mortgage.

I have a mortgage and two children. I was thinking there's no way I personally would go down the expensive wedding route with the pressure of a mortgage.

I congratulate you on your engagement and wish you the best of luck. At the end of the day I think planning a wedding should be done taking into consideration what one can afford and not putting oneself into debt.

You know what budget is best for you so good luck with it.

thanks margie,
we are pretty lucky to own out house, im 25 today and my hubby to be is 28 so we arent doing too badly.
our budget would be 25k , i think who ever suggested waiting until we get our gifts and totting up what we get and using that towards a holiday is a great idea we will definitely be doing that now.

i will defo take everything into consideration , and renegotiate hotel prices, and try get family to do some things.
thanks for all the suggestons.

Back