Key Post Rating the personal online banking for current accounts from AIB,BoI, PTSB and EBS

Interesting article in yesterday’s IT. Similar in the Business Post.

AIB plans to launch ‘next generation’ mobile app this year

They say it’s a ground up redesign, which was probably needed. Colin Hunt is quoted as saying “It’s going to be far more intuitive and far easier to use, and it’s going to be more encompassing of all aspects of a person’s financial life.” The latter could be useful especially if it includes functionality similar to the N26 and Revolut apps, or could also simply mean more misleading expenditure analysis pie charts and hawking “products”. Zippay will of course be included, although that will apparently make an appearance in the current app as well.

Anyway it’s good to see AIB continuing to invest in the app. It’s still well ahead of its domestic competitors. Most of the improvements in the Irish banking apps over the last few years were inflicted on the banks from outside, in particular those relating to and resulting from SEPA Instant. BOI’s app is showing its age at this stage, and despite a complete rewrite PTSB’s is still shallow in terms of functionality and has a quirky feel.
 
Can you set up standing orders and schedule payments?

1. Never tried
2. Yes

The one thing that annoys me about PTSB's online offering is that one isn't able to completely close deposit accounts when they mature. Trivial but annoying. Currently my good lady and I have 4 matured deposit accounts with a balance of 1 cent in each of them. And I'm damned if I'm going to drive the 70 km round trip to Skibbereen in order to close them in my nearest branch. Instead, PTSB persist in sending us annual statements by post informing us that we have a 1 cent account balance - a waste of postage and paper, but that's their problem.
 
Last edited:
I find frustrating with my BOI online banking that I can only see the mortgage balance.

The BOI mortgage cannot be set up as an online account where I could view and export recent transactions just like a current account and also download/print out year end statements and certificates of interest.

Seems crazy that is not a feature in this day and age.
 
The Irish banks should look at the Ulster Bank NI app (i.e. NatWest) and just replicate it. My AIB app is so restrictive in comparison. Also, mortgage holders in Ireland should be able to login to mortgage accounts to manage them directly by selecting available rates, calculating impact of overpayments etc. I feel banks don't allow that power here to maximize gouging.
 
Schedule a payment to leave your account on a given date rather than immediately?
So you mean an "on demand" payment rather than a standing order or direct debit? Yes, it allows a future payment date to be specified and not just immediately.
 
I have had a problem with the PTSB online App for the last 2 years as it cannot be accessed outside the EU. The App will not open in Montenegro and opens across the border in Croatia. I have queried this with PTSB regularly to no avail.
 
I have had a problem with the PTSB online App for the last 2 years as it cannot be accessed outside the EU. The App will not open in Montenegro and opens across the border in Croatia. I have queried this with PTSB regularly to no avail.
A nuisance for you but there's something pleasingly quirky about that. :p
 
Back
Top