Key Post Rating the personal online banking for current accounts from AIB,BoI, PTSB and EBS

Freelance

In terms of selecting a bank, in preparation for this I spent a good deal of time looking at the online offerings (Web and App) of the three main players (AIB, BOI, PTSB, vs Ulster). In terms of functionality, interface quality etc I'd rate them as follows: AIB:8, BOI:6, PTSB:3. I'd give Ulster a strong 9 (Which I suppose reflects the fact that they are leveraging the comparatively huge investment in online platforms by Nat West)

In giving these scored, I accept that every user’s needs and perceptions are different, and what one user views as the omission of critical functionality may be completely irrelevant to the next person. In other words I've tried to be objective, but you know how it goes...... My rating seeks to take into account both Web and App interfaces.

Ulster Bank – 9+
My strong rating for UB is based on the following:
  • Clear and logical interface with excellent navigation, which suggests that this has received serious professional design input
  • All basic/everyday banking transactions available including full online management of DD and S/O.
  • 7 year statement archive online for all accounts, in PDF format
  • Track record of timely adoption of beneficial new technologies (e.g. fingerprint and facial recognition, ApplePay etc) and development of separate apps for iPhone and iPad which play to the strengths of each form factor
  • Web interface continues to be maintained and updated, in parallel to the App
  • Ongoing investment with frequent updates, some quite significant, to add functionality, update and improve interfaces, and generally make online banking the contact point of choice.
  • Significant “non-core” functionality, e.g. excellent self-service for fraud alerts (on credit card), self-service management of paper/paperless options by account, self-service management of daily payment limits in the range €0 - €25,000, with separate settings for Internet banking, Mobile App transactions and Open Banking ( I particularly like being able to self-manage these limits as it encourages best practice and allows a limit to be set to a low figure for normal use and then set higher if required on occasion and then reset immediately, and set to zero for any function that isn’t used)
AIB Bank – 8
  • Core Functionality is solid
  • Navigation and Interface is good
  • Not much in the way of new or innovative functionality appearing recently
Bank Of Ireland - 6
Notwithstanding anything else I can say about BOI, they certainly would win the award for “best improver over the last 12 months” They appear to be investing heavily in their online platforms and have gone from a situation a couple of years ago where they were very far behind to one where they are definitely catching up. This contrasts with AIB whose online offerings appear to have changed little in recent years. If BOI continue to invest and improve they may well draw level or even surpass AIB. Nevertheless there remains considerable room for improvement
  • Core functionality is OK
  • Unable to view/list active/cancelled Direct Debit mandates
  • Layout/Navigation needs decluttering, more logical organisation and would benefit from a full makeover with input by interface design professionals
  • Apart from balance display, no online access to Regular Saver Accounts (e.g. can’t see transactions, can’t request a statement etc). And withdrawal requests for these accounts are via a clunky home-grown messaging system (that looks like a mainframe based e-mail system) with a two/three day turnaround (These are not notice accounts)
  • Numerous other pseudo online self-service options which actually just generate a messaging request, with no tracking and caveats such as “may take up to 5 days”
  • TFA/MFA is cumbersome and not intuitive, particularly for Web access
PTSB - 3
  • Core functionality generally OK
  • Online statements disappear after 12 months (I’ve marked them down by 1 point for this on the basis that it is downright stupid, an additional 1 point on the basis that data storage is so cheap today that it is mean and churlish, and a further 1 point on the basis that you have to telephone them and request a paper copy of any statements you haven’t downloaded for which they then charge a per item fee. This makes no sense and is nothing more than a scam to bleed customers.
  • Numerous minor irritants, e.g. when you open the app and open an account the three most recent transactions display, to see any more than this you have to go through the TFA hoop, no access to statements from App (Web only), etc
  • Interface is like something designed for the Young Scientist Exhibition 1995 to show the future of banking in the 21st Century and programmed in VBA4
  • Again the TFA/MFA is cumbersome at best and downright awful when it comes to accessing statements (e.g. if you need to view/print statements for three accounts, you end up going through the MFA four times). It also contains gaps (initial log-on to web portal doesn’t require authorisation, just user number and PIN)
Credit Union C/A
I have no experience of these systems (there are two different platforms in use, www.currentaccount.ie or www.mycu.ie). I have however used the CU online interface (Web and App) for my CU Deposit/Share account and that would score a 1/10 for its lack of intuitiveness, clumsy navigation, pointless duplicate authentication and downright weird handling of statement requests. I have no idea whether or not their Current Account app/interface is any better.

Summary
In summary, UB are the only ones who have been pushing forward and using technology to improve the customer experience. (Easy for them I suppose given that they use the same platform as NatWest and leverage from that investment which is in a different league to any of the other banks mentioned here). I believe I could work with either the AIB or BOI interfaces, accepting that I would probably have to make more telephone calls to customer support, especially in the case of the latter. I use the PTSB interface for a few deposit accounts which I check every few weeks and it is ok for this, it would drive me nuts if I had to use it daily.

I haven’t bothered with KBC as they are exiting and I had a few dreadful experiences with the stability of their systems (in 2017/2018) which caused me to leave them rapidly, but that's a story for another day.

So that’s my thoughts for what they are worth and I hope they prove to be of some assistance. I’m sure others will come at it from a different perspective and accordingly will reach a different set of conclusions.

Last edited by a moderator:
n terms of functionality, interface quality etc I'd rate them as follows: AIB:8, BOI:6, PTSB:3.

I have started a new thread to assess the online offerings.

Please do not discuss fees or ease of opening or any other issue in this thread. If you do, your post will be deleted.

I wouldn't have thought it would be necessary to specify it, but apparently it is:
This is about current accounts.
This is about personal customers.

All other off topic posts will be deleted.

Last edited:
I moved from BOI a few years ago as their online banking was not great. I am now with AIB. The switch was a bit troublesome but once everything was sorted there have been no issues since.

Transfers between current, savings and credit card accounts are instant with AIB, Transfers to any other AIB account are also instant.

[ Copied from another thread]

EBS do not offer Google Pay, Apple Pay.
EBS do not offer online account set up. You have to book an appointment and it is a painful process.
EBS do not offer online direct debit set up.
EBS do not offer an app.
EBS online banking is not feature rich.
EBS have large FX fees like all Irish banks.

Some comments from posters in other threads:

Thirsty:
PTSB

1) Ease of use of the web based facility

Reasonable - irritates me that I have to repeatedly do MFA when looking for statements on each account. Once per session should be enough.

2) Ease of use of the smart phone app
No issues here - handy when abroad

I have to repeatedly do MFA when looking for statements on each account.

MFA is a pain, but I accept that it has to be done

Brendan Burgess
On my AIB account

1) I log in from my pc
2) I have to authorise it from my phone - is that MFA?
3) Apart from payments, I can do everything else online as far as I know without going to my phone.
4) When I want to pay an existing payee, I don't need to do anything else. Just pay them.
5) If I pay a new person or amend an existing payee, I need to put my debit card in a little machine

Huskerdu :
With PTSB its constant.

Every time I want to look at transactions from over a month ago, I have to MFA again (get an authorisation code from my phone and enter my PIN)

I'm with PTSB since 1989.

I use the app now and have had no issues i can remember in my 30 + years.

PTSB

Grand. MFA is a pain, but I accept that it has to be done

Happy with the app and the response time is usually good

ptsb

I'm with PTSB for years. The app is good, the website is good. I'll stay with PTSB. Very happy customer. ( I hope I didn't just jinx this!)

PTSB since 1990 ,

Technology wise, I find the app and internet banking very good and has been since first launched. I like to import statements into excel monthly and analyse spending.

Setting up standing orders, DDs and bill payments very easy and easily controlled.

ClubMan

With PTSB for all of my adult/working life bar an initial period with National Irish Back back in the day and have had no reason to change.

Some specific points
  1. The constant two factor authentication that others have mentioned when using online banking is a bit irritating - but I can put up with the inconvenience if it means more security.
  2. Still no support for Google Pay but they support Apple Pay. Annoying but not a huge deal for me personally.
  3. I find their general website (not the online banking service) poor and I often struggle to find info even when I know that it exists.
  4. There are some quirks with their online banking app/website (e.g. the annoying/confusing way that summary payee details are displayed) but again an annoyance rather than a major limitation for me.

Last edited:
NoRegretsCoyote
Bank of Ireland

It's fine but doesn't seem to have changed much in 15 years. Latency isn't great and it's not always very intuitive.

It's fine. Again not always intuitive.

PGF 2016

I've had current accounts and mortgages with BOI, KBC and PTSB.

Much of a muchness for each of these in my experience.
4) Security
5) Stability - i.e. lack of outages

EmmDee
I'm with BoI

1) I find the online banking good and easy to use. When I moved to BoI (from Danske), the online options were my biggest factor and I preferred the BoI option. I still prefer it (my wife is with AIB). I prefer the validation and authentication with BoI

2) As above. I find the app easy to use - though someone else did say they didn't find it simple but I do

FintanJ

Bank of Ireland
1 Online banking - excellent
2) App Excellent

People need to familiarise themselves with the minimum requirements for using the online banking if they are thinking of switching \ opening accounts especially as more banks switch for multi authentication (e.g. need to approve logins and online card payments via the app)

e.g. for Bank of Ireland

The app is supported by the following smart devices and operating systems only:

• Android smart phones using Android version 6+
    Available from the Google Play store
  • iPhone using iOS version 12+
    Available from Apple app store

In terms of selecting a bank, in preparation for this I spent a good deal of time looking at the online offerings (Web and App) of the three main players (AIB, BOI, PTSB, vs Ulster). In terms of functionality, interface quality etc I'd rate them as follows: AIB:8, BOI:6, PTSB:3. I'd give Ulster a strong 9 (Which I suppose reflects the fact that they are leveraging the comparatively huge investment in online platforms by Nat West)

Can you expand on the low score for BOI? I am considering moving there from KBC.

Does BOI online display your mortgage balance if you hold a mortgage with them?
Are transfers instant from Current Account to Savings Account if you hold both with BOI?
Is it easy to set up Standing Orders and Direct Debits?

I don't think I need anything over and above these items. I don't care whether the app looks flashy or not.

Another PTSB supporter here!

In fairness, it being the only bank that I have used since NIB/Danske ran back to Denmark, I am not in a position to compare it to the alternatives.
However it meets all of my online banking needs to my complete satisfaction.

Last edited:
NoRegretsCoyote
Bank of Ireland

It's fine but doesn't seem to have changed much in 15 years. Latency isn't great and it's not always very intuitive.

It's fine. Again not always intuitive.
They did a massive change last year! Prior to that, you couldn't use Google/Apple pay but you can now. They have very much shifted things towards the phone and the additional authentication through the phone. If you want to log on using a computer, you have to verify the log in on your phone. A bit more inconvenient, but hey, there's people trying to hack accounts all the time and this small inconvenience is nothing compared to someone actually hacking your bank account.

PTSB have recently added support for Google Pay.
About 3-4 years after other banks did... How long will they leave their customers waiting for the next "big thing" ?

A small bank with limited resources, is unlikely to be in a position to lead the market, anytime soon.

I'm a user experience nerd - I have no patience for poorly designed software from that point of view. I'm with PTSB and am satisfied with their online banking. It does what it says on the tin. In my book, no fuss means good.

I am very interested in this thread, I would say that UB has the best online in the market, followed by KBC, such a pity to lose the top 2.

My biggest gripe with AIB online banking is that you cannot save an overseas IBAN, they have to be re-entered every time. annoying if you want to transfer to Revolut or N26, maybe that is the reason!

Another gripe is their reliance on a Current account debit card for payments, I have a savings account & a credit card with AIB, I am now precluded from setting up any new payees for my savings account as a debit card is required. I am not sure why a credit card would not do. If i decide to open a current account with them I will no longer have this issue. BOI do not require a device to add a payee, just the registered phone.

In my opinion BOI online banking hasn't changed much in 15-20 years, AIB's is ahead as previously mentioned on this thread.

annoying if you want to transfer to Revolut or N26, maybe that is the reason!

I am an AIB current account customer and I have an auto top up on my Revolut account which works fine. In other words, when it falls below €50 , it sucks another €200 from AIB automatically.

I had to pay a bigger bill during the week and needed €1,000 in my Revolut account. So I went to Revolut and sucked €1,000 from my AIB current account.

Sorry, just reading your post again. This thread is about current accounts. Do your comments apply to something other than a normal current account?

Brendan

Sorry, just reading your post again. This thread is about current accounts. Do your comments apply to something other than a normal current account?
I do the same as you; use Revolut to 'pull' money from my AIB debit card.
But you could also 'push' money from AIB to your account as a SEPA transfer. Its more important for N26 as you can't use the card transfer. Or if you want to transfer to someone else.

AIB don't currently allow you to save a payee with a non IE IBAN. So if you want to make a regular transfer to a foreign account (your own or somebody else's) you have to enter each manually.

if you want to make a regular transfer to a foreign account (your own or somebody else's) you have to enter each manually.

Not quite.

You can use the "reuse" facility

1636628262588.png

Click on Payment Logs

Find the payment you want to duplicate

1636628620435.png
Click on the icon in the last column and you get it all filled out for you.

1636628670587.png

Brendan

At Brendan’s request, I’ll try belatedly to summarise my reasons for the ratings I gave in the first post above. In doing so I accept that every user’s needs and perceptions are different, and what one user views as the omission of critical functionality may be completely irrelevant to the next person. In other words I've tried to be objective, but you know how it goes...... My rating seeks to take into account both Web and App interfaces.

Ulster Bank – 9+
  • Clear and logical interface with excellent navigation, which suggests that this has received serious professional design input
  • All basic/everyday banking transactions available including full online management of DD and S/O.
  • Track record of timely adoption of beneficial new technologies (e.g. fingerprint and facial recognition, ApplePay etc) and development of separate apps for iPhone and iPad which play to the strengths of each form factor
  • Ongoing investment with frequent updates, some quite significant, to add functionality, update and improve interfaces, and generally make online banking the contact point of choice.
  • Significant “non-core” functionality, e.g. excellent self-service for fraud alerts (on credit card), self-service management of paper/paperless options by account, self-service management of daily payment limits in the range €0 - €25,000, with separate settings for Internet banking, Mobile App transactions and Open Banking ( I particularly like being able to self-manage these limits as it encourages best practice and allows a limit to be set to a low figure for normal use and then set higher if required on occasion and then reset immediately, and set to zero for any function that isn’t used)
AIB Bank – 8
Bank Of Ireland - 6
Notwithstanding anything else I can say about BOI, they certainly would win the award for “best improver over the last 12 months” They appear to be investing heavily in their online platforms and have gone from a situation a couple of years ago where they were very far behind to one where they are definitely catching up. This contrasts with AIB whose online offerings appear to have changed little in recent years. If BOI continue to invest and improve they may well draw level or even surpass AIB. Nevertheless there remains considerable room for improvement
  • Layout/Navigation needs decluttering, more logical organisation and would benefit from a full makeover with input by interface design professionals
  • Apart from balance display, no online access to Regular Saver Accounts (e.g. can’t see transactions, can’t request a statement etc). And withdrawal requests for these accounts are via a clunky home-grown messaging system (that looks like a mainframe based e-mail system) with a two/three day turnaround (These are not notice accounts)
  • Numerous other pseudo online self-service options which actually just generate a messaging request, with no tracking and caveats such as “may take up to 5 days”
PTSB - 3
  • Online statements disappear after 12 months (I’ve marked them down by 1 point for this on the basis that it is downright stupid, an additional 1 point on the basis that data storage is so cheap today that it is mean and churlish, and a further 1 point on the basis that you have to telephone them and request a paper copy of any statements you haven’t downloaded for which they then charge a per item fee. This makes no sense and is nothing more than a scam to bleed customers.
  • Numerous minor irritants, e.g. when you open the app and open an account the three most recent transactions display, to see any more than this you have to go through the TFA hoop, no access to statements from App (Web only), etc
  • Interface is like something designed for the Young Scientist Exhibition 1995 to show the future of banking in the 21st Century and programmed in VBA4
  • Again the TFA/MFA is cumbersome at best and downright awful when it comes to accessing statements (e.g. if you need to view/print statements for three accounts, you end up going through the MFA four times). It also contains gaps (initial log-on to web portal doesn’t require authorisation, just user number and PIN)
Credit Union C/A
I have no experience of these systems (there are two different platforms in use, www.currentaccount.ie or www.mycu.ie). I have however used the CU online interface (Web and App) for my CU Deposit/Share account and that would score a 1/10 for its lack of intuitiveness, clumsy navigation, pointless duplicate authentication and downright weird handling of statement requests. I have no idea whether or not their Current Account app/interface is any better.

Summary
In summary, UB are the only ones who have been pushing forward and using technology to improve the customer experience. (Easy for them I suppose given that they use the same platform as NatWest and leverage from that investment which is in a different league to any of the other banks mentioned here). I believe I could work with either the AIB or BOI interfaces, accepting that I would probably have to make more telephone calls to customer support, especially in the case of the latter. I use the PTSB interface for a few deposit accounts which I check every few weeks and it is ok for this, it would drive me nuts if I had to use it daily.

I haven’t bothered with KBC as they are exiting and I had a few dreadful experiences with the stability of their systems (in 2017/2018) which caused me to leave them rapidly, but that's a story for another day.

So that’s my thoughts for what they are worth and I hope they prove to be of some assistance. I’m sure others will come at it from a different perspective and accordingly will reach a different set of conclusions.

At Brendan’s request, I’ll try belatedly to summarise my reasons for the ratings I gave in the first post above. In doing so I accept that every user’s needs and perceptions are different, and what one user views as the omission of critical functionality may be completely irrelevant to the next person. In other words I've tried to be objective, but you know how it goes...... My rating seeks to take into account both Web and App interfaces.

Ulster Bank – 9+
AIB Bank – 8
Bank Of Ireland - 6
PTSB - 3
Credit Union C/A

Summary

In BOI, does the 2-3 turnaround for Saving Account transfers apply to transfers to you own BOI current account? I'm leaning towards BOI for my change from KBC, but i'm used to this being an instant transfer. It's something i do frequently so it would drive me mad waiting 3 days for it.

Back