Quinn Life Freeway Funds

Well, they've never refused an ad hoc investment of 1270 of mine. As I said:these guys are in the business of getting you to invest with them
Bocade was questioning you saying it had to be over €1270 (he cleary states that he contributes ad-hoc payments of €1000), he didn't imply they wouldn't accept the payment of €1270.

Wrong, once the regular saving or lump sum had been set up with either €51 minimum or €1,270 respectively then any amount can be added subsequently. I add a lump sum of €1,000 every qtr so have first hand experience

That's good to know. I'd planned to give them a call on this subject myself.

Edit to note that QL has updated it's site and it's FAQ which confirms the above:

5. What is the minimum/maximum I can invest?

The minimum investment amount on a lump sum investment policy is €1,270, and on a regular savings policy it is €51. There is no maximum investment amount. There is no restriction on additional contributions after inception.

This is a good Topic, cleared alot up for me. fair play nelly for asking the questions.

so lets say you start this fund and just for aguement sake(don't want to start the lump sum regular contribution argument here) you invested 2000 for the first year and lets say an overall growth of 10%, therefore you have 2200 going inton year 2.

Do they take the 1% admin fee from the 200 profit or the 2200 toatal fund?

QL's lack of information on their funds is a pet complaint of mine. To be fair they do state when the index they show a graph for is not the one they are tracking, but then they are misleading to show it.

My personal opinions
-QL should at a minimum show their funds actual performance, so investors can look at effect of tracking error and fees. If it's created recently then it should still show information since it's conception. I think most of their funds have been their since 2003 or so when I started investing their.
-It is appropriate to include an index in the litreature of a tracking product only if you aim to actually track that index, or you are comparing the performance of one index to another. Or making a particularly relevant point about it.
-QL could choose more appropriate graphs and more detailed fund descriptions to avoid misleading people.....

I have to agree with this arguement but they do cleary state this, below, which is good.

[broken link removed]

Cumulative Performance
01 Jan 1996 – 31 Dec 2005:
313.37%
Average Annualised Performance
01 Jan 1996 – 31 Dec 2005:
15.2%
SOURCE: Irish Stock Exchange. Please note the index performance is for illustration purposes
only and that the Celtic Freeway fund does not aim to track the index.
Past performance is
not an indicator of future performance. Depending on economic conditions, unit prices may
fall as well as rise.

However, How is one to know how the fund actually done over the last few years that it was available?

It also gives a list of some, or the majority of companies that are in the fund:

[broken link removed]
The above major international companies represented 85.95% of the fund at the end of December 2005.

But, still how is one to know how the actual fund performed?

I think I might need to start a new topic on this, but just wondering how the true performance of the actual fund can be obtained.

And If it cannot be obtained, how does one go about, makining ones mind up, on how to split there investment between the various funds Quinn Freeway offer.

Thanks

According to that pdf file, the Celtic Freeway aims to track the top 20 ISEQ companies. This is the same as the ISEQ20 ETF. So you can check a graph of the ETF performance for comparison.

so lets say you start this fund and just for aguement sake(don't want to start the lump sum regular contribution argument here) you invested 2000 for the first year and lets say an overall growth of 10%, therefore you have 2200 going inton year 2.

Do they take the 1% admin fee from the 200 profit or the 2200 toatal fund?

Good question, I was wondering the same. Does anybody know?
Also, as regards the new funds available (China,Japan, Emerging markets etc), is 1.5% admin charge good seeing as they are developing markets?
Thanks for any advice.

Good question, I was wondering the same. Does anybody know?
Also, as regards the new funds available (China,Japan, Emerging markets etc), is 1.5% admin charge good seeing as they are developing markets?
Thanks for any advice.
Usually these sort of charges are deducted from the entire holding. Can't speak for Quinn.

1.5% is not good, but is still better than anyone else in Ireland that I know of.

There's no real reason for the higher charge on these funds (except maybe the emerging markets because of the extra research needed etc.)

It's just a matter of checking around with similar funds to see what their charges are.

From what I can see, the Quinn Life China fund is basically just invested in a China iShares ETF. If you already have a stock portfolio, you can just purchase these ETF shares, and save yourself the 1.5% Quinn charges.

i agree with ronan....buy the etf, but buy a miniumum lump sum of the etf units, so that the minimum brokerage fees dont work out too excessive.

the quinn life fund seems to be based on the following.

[broken link removed]

From what I can see, the Quinn Life China fund is basically just invested in a China iShares ETF. If you already have a stock portfolio, you can just purchase these ETF shares, and save yourself the 1.5% Quinn charges.

Can you tell what sort of commission you pay on these ETF shares, just for an example?

It is obviously less but how much so?

Thanks

Anyone invest in this recently - and out of interest what % breakdown in different markets are people going with?

Back