Quinn Life Freeway Funds

I am aware TER is management charge and other expenses/charges. I checked with Quinn before investing and the charges quoted are the only charges applied to the funds.

SPC100, Unit linked funds generally would not have salaries, legal fees etc charged to the funds. You are probably thinking of a unit trust which incorporates all the auditors fees, salaries etc as you describe but is structured more like a company in that it holds its own assets, statutory accounts are produced and corporation tax calculated and charged to the unit trust.

The likely hidden charges in unit linked funds tend to be custodian fees and brokers commissions on the purchase and sale of shares. Quinn's have confirmed to me before investment that these fees are not charged to the fund and the only charge is the 1% or 1.2% and that these charges are the TER of the fund, if you prefer to use that term. I have verified this subseuently by following the portion of my investment which is invested in Euro Freeway. I compare its performance verses the Dow Jones Euro Stoxx 50. It is out by very close to 1% annually i.e. the management charge, so I didn't just accept the line from Quinn but at this stage have been given no reason to doubt it.

They do show the performance of their funds on the fund prices page on the website and I, prior to investment, also asked them to send me additional information such as the average P/E ratios of the underlying indices and they obliged. Try asking one of the larger companies the average P/E ratio of one of their funds!

You suggest more appropriate graphs - such as? If the graphs show the underlying index they are tracking, I would suggest they are appropriate.

The ISEQ20 was launched mid-2005, there were no historic figures prior to its launch. ISEQ have derived historical information back to 1997. Quinn does not say it is tracking this, in fact as I was invested in their Celtic Freeway fund from 2003 it would be hard for them to have tracked the ISEQ20 as it didn't exist at the time.

Biotech, I asked for a full list of the companies and was sent it prior to my investment, although I didn't invest in Biotech in the end. The list was of 19 companies and all 19 were in the top 22 listed in the Nasdaq Biotechnology at the time I was looking at it.

I have always found it very easy to get to speak a senior manager in Quinn Life when I have a query, as a customer you always have the option of making your suggestions to them. In one of their customer surveys, I suggested an on-line facility for checking my fund value on-line, 9mths later I got a letter saying it was available.

Can somebody explain what is meant by the term "euro cost averaging" please?
It was stated earlier that drip-feeding the fund may benefit from "euro cost averaging"?
Is there any transaction charge when lodging money to the fund, either monthly or in lump sum payments made from time to time?

Can somebody explain what is meant by the term "euro cost averaging" please?
It was stated earlier that drip-feeding the fund may benefit from "euro cost averaging"?

Unit prices go up and down. On the assumption that over a longer term the prices will rise, then shorter terms dips can actually provide a good buying opportunity.

This applies to regular premium investments only (you buy units perhaps monthly) and explains why regular premium investments such as equity SSIA's, PRSA's, pensions, and other savings plans can actually benefit from investment in more aggressive funds.

The funds offer 2 investment options, lump sum or regular savings. However, is it possible to place an initial lump sum and then add smaller amounts to the fund at different times throughout the year (ie irregular payments) depending on circumstances, or would I need to open 2 separate accounts, 1 for a lump sum, another for regular savings?

Some of the funds state that they invest in a select group (basket) of companies listed on a particular index/exchange. Is it possible to obtain a list of exactly what companies the funds invest in when it does not just track the index itself?
Also, if I had a fund with 2,000 initially & it grew over time to a value of say 4,000 & I then withdraw 1,000. Assuming the 2,000 was split with 50% in fund x, 25% in fund y & 25% in fund z. When the value changes due to growth & withdrawals, is this % readjusted each time to keep the same ratio or how does this work? Hope my question makes sense?
Thanks

Assuming I split my investment with 75% in 3 equity funds (25% in each fund) & the remaining 25% in the bond fund, can I view an individual performance chart for each fund (for each 25% invested) or just an overall combined chart comprising the full 100% investment averaged out.
Thanks.

Is there a transaction charge, either for lump sums or regular savings deposits?
Is there an online facility where you could deposit to the account by credit card or is it only cheque/direct debit options?
The minimum deposit for lump sums is 1,270 but does each additional lump sum have to be a minimum of 1,270 again each time or can I add any smaller amount after the initial input?
In regards to direct debit, can this be stopped completely & then resumed again at any point, depending on financial situations at the time?, without the account having to be encashed/closed?

Thanks.

Some of the funds state that they invest in a select group (basket) of companies listed on a particular index/exchange. Is it possible to obtain a list of exactly what companies the funds invest in when it does not just track the index itself?

Yes, I have done this in the past by contact Quinn Life on

Also, if I had a fund with 2,000 initially & it grew over time to a value of say 4,000 & I then withdraw 1,000. Assuming the 2,000 was split with 50% in fund x, 25% in fund y & 25% in fund z. When the value changes due to growth & withdrawals, is this % readjusted each time to keep the same ratio or how does this work? Hope my question makes sense?
Thanks

No, it is not automatically adjusted. If it was automatically adjusted this would mean selling out of the better performing fund to but into a lesser performing fund. You can instruct Quinn Life to rebalance the portfolio to you original or a new split or you can do it yourself on-line. If you are withdrawing you will also need to tell them what fund/s you want to sell out off.

Assuming I split my investment with 75% in 3 equity funds (25% in each fund) & the remaining 25% in the bond fund, can I view an individual performance chart for each fund (for each 25% invested) or just an overall combined chart comprising the full 100% investment averaged out.
Thanks.

There are fund performance charts which allow you to see how the individual funds are performing and policy performance graphs where you see the whole investment in the secure area of the web-site. You need to have an active investment in order to get a log-on to this section of the web-site.

Is there a transaction charge, either for lump sums or regular savings deposits?
Is there an online facility where you could deposit to the account by credit card or is it only cheque/direct debit options?
The minimum deposit for lump sums is 1,270 but does each additional lump sum have to be a minimum of 1,270 again each time or can I add any smaller amount after the initial input?
In regards to direct debit, can this be stopped completely & then resumed again at any point, depending on financial situations at the time?, without the account having to be encashed/closed?

Thanks.

No Transaction charges on either lump sum or regular savings.

Cheque, DD and telegraphic transfer.

Additional lump sums after the first €1270 can be for any amount.

You can stop and start a savings policy by notifing Quinn. The policy does not need to be closed.

If I opened a regular saving fund, as opposed to a lump sum fund, can I place an initial lump, say 2,000 in the account & then add payments of about 200 each month or are you only allowed to build up from scratch with the monthly amount?

Additional lump sums after the first €1270 can be for any amount.

Are you sure about that? I thought each and every ad-hoc payment had to be at least €1270.

And as an aside, when are we going to get over this Punt-related number. It's still everywhere!

it does not have to be 1270, i think there is a monthly minimum of about 50 yoyos for regular contributions

Regular (scheduled) contributions can be low, but I still think one-off ad-hoc payments have to be €1270

From the QL site

Minimum Premiums

For regular monthly premiums €51
For a lump sum investment €1,270

Maybe I'll phone them tomorrow for clarification. It would make a difference to my investment pattern!

Back