Public service reform

1. "Nurses work a 39 hour week" - You've got that spectacularly wrong; I can almost hear every hospital nurse in the country laughing and guffawing, I kid you not. Have you heard of the week-on-week-off system where nurses work 84 hours night duty in Week 1 and are off in Week 2? They are "compensated" for the additional hours worked too. A fulltime nurse is paid for 39 hours weekly basic pay. I had been under the impression that you knew how hospitals are staffed, but I am wrong.
The standard nursing roster is 3 x 12 hour shifts one week and 4 x 12 hours the following week. With standard overtime rates this adds about 25% to their income. If the nurse is working 84 hours in a week then they will get 106.5 hours pay, with two weeks off on full pay in addition that works out at 61.5 pay hours a week or 184.5 pay hours for 84 hours worked. I'd take your hand off for that sort of a fantastic roster.

The standard nursing roster is 3 x 12 hour shifts one week and 4 x 12 hours the following week. With standard overtime rates this adds about 25% to their income. If the nurse is working 84 hours in a week then they will get 106.5 hours pay, with two weeks off on full pay in addition that works out at 61.5 pay hours a week or 184.5 pay hours for 84 hours worked. I'd take your hand off for that sort of a fantastic roster.

Purple, I

I thought Purple would reply something along the lines "Hey Guys, I got that wrong . . . " But, no - Purple comes on with standard this and standard that (more nursing hours calculations he just made up and are spectacularly wrong also). Purple you got it wrong and you're getting it wrong again. When in a hole stop digging (standard local union talk whenever we goofed, but at least we'd admit to our errors, something others seldom did). I think I'll have to come out of retirement to stop the guffaws from the nurses.

Show me a published list of nursing rosters where they work 7 days a week for 12 hours a day. They are certainly entitled to overtime after the first 39 hours. Show me something other than your opinion. If I'm wrong then I'll say so but show me the evidence. Show me where they work 84 hours and don't get any overtime. At the moment I just don't believe you.

By the way, working 12 hours a day is no big deal. Doctors, builders, shopkeepers and many running small businesses do it and they don't get 2 days off for each day worked.

Another hugely positive Ipsos MRBI Civil Service Satisfaction survey report for 2019 required by the PublicService reform plan 2014-2016.
48% of the Public had interaction with at least one of the Departments.
85% of those surveyed were satisfied with both the service received ( up from 83% in 2017 and 76% in 2015 ) and the outcome of their most recent contact ( up from 87% in 2017 and 83% in 2015 )
Dissatisfaction is at it’s lowest since 2009 . dropping from 39% in 2009 to 20% in 2019.
89% said that service levels are mostly meeting or exceeding expectations ( again up from 87% in 2017 and 83% in 2015 ).
Kudos indeed guys and gals.
It always good to see some facts to support the idea that Public Sector reform is actually happening rather than anecdotal comments to the contrary.

Another hugely positive Ipsos MRBI Civil Service Satisfaction survey report for 2019 required by the PublicService reform plan 2014-2016.
48% of the Public had interaction with at least one of the Departments.
85% of those surveyed were satisfied with both the service received ( up from 83% in 2017 and 76% in 2015 ) and the outcome of their most recent contact ( up from 87% in 2017 and 83% in 2015 )
Dissatisfaction is at it’s lowest since 2009 . dropping from 39% in 2009 to 20% in 2019.
89% said that service levels are mostly meeting or exceeding expectations ( again up from 87% in 2017 and 83% in 2015 ).
Kudos indeed guys and gals.
It always good to see some facts to support the idea that Public Sector reform is actually happening rather than anecdotal comments to the contrary.
How long would a business last if 1 in 10 of your customers unhappy with the product or service you are providing?
What does "Mostly happy" mean?
Opinion Survey results are, as the name suggests, opinions. That said it does show an improvement but considering the extra funding that had been made available there should be an improvement.

Show me a published list of nursing rosters where they work 7 days a week for 12 hours a day. They are certainly entitled to overtime after the first 39 hours. Show me something other than your opinion. If I'm wrong then I'll say so but show me the evidence. Show me where they work 84 hours and don't get any overtime. At the moment I just don't believe you.

By the way, working 12 hours a day is no big deal. Doctors, builders, shopkeepers and many running small businesses do it and they don't get 2 days off for each day worked.

1. Purple, you're still digging and once again you're wrong and worse again failing to admit it. Let me go on record as saying:- All the HSE hospitals and probably all the others which have night duty rosters mainly work 7 nights x 12 hours per night (8.00pm - 8.00am) on one week of the fortnight and nil on the next week. If you can't come to terms with this I'm afraid you're not well informed on the matter.

2. Overtime payments to nurses apply as follows:- Work 39 hours in a week and whatever is rostered over this amount can be considered paid overtime. The exception is nurses on night duty rostered on-a-week-on-week-off system do not get overtime unfless they are called in during the hours outside of 8pm - 8.00am.

3. I am sorry that you don't believe me. What I am saying is not my opinion they are facts. I am certain of my facts and it appears no matter what I say you'll disbelieve. Ask any nurse or nurse manager and you'll see I'm correct.

4. I'm glad you're not some Cork Hotshot based in Dublin and seconded to Cork and you trying to be kept in Cork permanently by trying to browbeat experienced union officials who would be looking for clarification of minutes during a meeting with you because you appear to disagree with everything.

5. You want evidence of the truth of what I'm saying. Like I said earlier ask any nurse.

6. I never said working 12 hours per day is a big deal. Can you show me evidence where I said that? ;)

All the HSE hospitals and probably all the others which have night duty rosters mainly work 7 nights x 12 hours per night (8.00pm - 8.00am) on one week of the fortnight and nil on the next week. If you can't come to terms with this I'm afraid you're not well informed on the matter.

My cousins who are nurses in HSE hospitals don't work anything like those rosters.

My cousins who are nurses in HSE hospitals don't work anything like those rosters.
My understanding was the standard roster was 3 x 12 hours one week with 4 x 12 hours the following week. There was an attempt to move to 6 or 8 hours shifts but, as usual, the Union blocked it.

1. Purple, you're still digging and once again you're wrong and worse again failing to admit it. Let me go on record as saying:- All the HSE hospitals and probably all the others which have night duty rosters mainly work 7 nights x 12 hours per night (8.00pm - 8.00am) on one week of the fortnight and nil on the next week. If you can't come to terms with this I'm afraid you're not well informed on the matter.

2. Overtime payments to nurses apply as follows:- Work 39 hours in a week and whatever is rostered over this amount can be considered paid overtime. The exception is nurses on night duty rostered on-a-week-on-week-off system do not get overtime unfless they are called in during the hours outside of 8pm - 8.00am.

3. I am sorry that you don't believe me. What I am saying is not my opinion they are facts. I am certain of my facts and it appears no matter what I say you'll disbelieve. Ask any nurse or nurse manager and you'll see I'm correct.
Evidence please.

I'm not going to trawl through any hospital intranet to dig up what is widely known. Like I said earlier:- Ask any nurse who works night duty.
Totally with you Leper , I know nurses in Waterford University hospital who work extraordinarily unsocial and long hours both in the main hospital and the psychiatric unit.
Hopefully the 5000 additional nurses promised by FG or the 4000 promised by FF are quickly brought on board to alleviate the staffing crisis.

There was an attempt to move to 6 or 8 hours shifts but, as usual, the Union blocked it.

Yep, and those still working who moved to merged hospitals like Tallaght are still on separate contracts, unions were open to merging all staff to a single contract but only if ridiculous pay increases were granted.

Yep, and those still working who moved to merged hospitals like Tallaght are still on separate contracts, unions were open to merging all staff to a single contract but only if ridiculous pay increases were granted.

I can't comment on this as I do not know the full story and what I post is as truthful as I can do.

I can't comment on this as I do not know the full story and what I post is as truthful as I can do.

If all nurses are working the hours you suggest, why did the INMO not raise that in the most recent dispute? Why did they celebrate achieving the 37.5 hour working week? My family members' experience doesn't tally with what you're saying.

If all nurses are working the hours you suggest, why did the INMO not raise that in the most recent dispute? Why did they celebrate achieving the 37.5 hour working week? My family members' experience doesn't tally with what you're saying.

A few years ago fulltime nurses had their basic working hours contract reduced from 39 to 37.5 weekly. Austerity after the recession dictated that the hours were to be increased again. Many in the public service had their working times increased without pay. So, it was with the nurses and midwives.

Leo, I take it that you don't believe me regarding what fulltime nurses work when on Night Duty. I worked in the Irish hospital system and know what nurses and other grades work. The 39 hour week for all nurses is a basic number (let's call it a whole time equivalent). It suits hospitals to have nurses work seven nights in a row where they work 84 hours Monday to Sunday. They are off duty the following week where some other nurse will work the seven nights. To comply with the contract the 84 hours is divided into two 39 hour weekly slots with 6 hours owing to the nurse. The nurse gets a premium for working the nights and the Sunday hours i.e. Night Duty Allowance 84 hours and Sunday Duty 12 hours. I even forgot to mention the Saturday Allowance although it's quite small. If any nurse is looking in I bet he/she will say "Hey Lep, you never mentioned the hand-over time, which we work without pay."

For the record:- Nurses who work Night Duty of 84 hours weekly do not get paid overtime for this. They may be called into the hospital after their Night Duty to work extra hours during daytime. The daytime hours may be overtime. A nurse can get called into the hospital on the week off. This will be paid overtime. The nurse has the option of taking time in lieu for the extra hours worked too, but usually they accept the overtime payments due.

Why does this not tally with your family members? - In some hospitals nurses may opt not to work night duty, some opt not to work weekends, some opt to work weekends only. Some opt to work less than the 39 hours Monday to Friday. Others opt not to work Bank Holidays. I'm talking large hospitals here; some private hospitals wouldn't have the need for a large night duty attendance. Some hospitals reduce staff numbers at weekends. Have a look at the ads from hospitals which require additional staff; you'll see "work hours to suit you" - that's how desperate hospitals are to recruit qualified nurses.

Leo, do me a favour an show this post to your family members and see if they agree or disagree with it. If they disagree feel free to inform me. However, I am confident that they will endorse my post.

that's how desperate hospitals are to recruit qualified nurses.
One of my kids is considering nursing. I'm not encouraging it. You'd want to have a real vocation to be a nurse in the Irish health system.
"Hey Lep, you never mentioned the hand-over time, which we work without pay."
Methinks there should be a (paid) half hour overlap at hand-over time.

One of my kids is considering nursing. I'm not encouraging it. You'd want to have a real vocation to be a nurse in the Irish health system.
They are very will paid but the structures within the health system cause gross waste (misallocation of resources and duplication of process) and the resulting suffering of patients and their families can make it an unpleasant and stressful place to work.

Today’s actions of the TUI and ASTI unions prove my point entirely.
They’re demanding, actually commanding because they will get it, pay parity between junior and senior teachers, which is an absurdity.
Why don’t the overpaid senior teachers offer to reduce their pay in line with junior teacher pay for this purpose? That would be an unprecedented goodwill gesture and the revenue saved could be sent on infrastructure and service provision rather than personal enrichment.

Jeopardising children’s education and discommoding parents for their own selfish avaricious reasons; they’re utterly disgraceful.

They’re demanding, actually commanding because they will get it, pay parity between junior and senior teachers, which is an absurdity.
Why don’t the overpaid senior teachers offer to reduce their pay in line with junior teacher pay for this purpose? That would be an unprecedented goodwill gesture and the revenue saved could be sent on infrastructure and service provision rather than personal enrichment.

Jeopardising children’s education and discommoding parents for their own selfish avaricious reasons; they’re utterly disgraceful.
A relative of mine is a school vice principal. She proposed that retired teachers take a 5% cut in their pension (2.5% net of tax) and that would fund pay equalisation. Of course that won't happen but it would be fair, equitable and cost neutral.

I support the actions of the TUI and ASTI. They have been campaigning for years for equality. Strike action is the only action they have left. Too much talk made them walk.

"Jeopardsing children's education" - Not a bit of it. These are the same children striking for a cleaner planet.

"Discommoding parents" - Yes, somebody is always discommoded during any kind of strike.

"Selfish, avaricious reasons" - No - It's about equality.

Back