Public Service Pay Agreement

In any event if the efficiencies/reforms provide the savings required then their should be no reason for further pay cuts rather we should see a partial reversal of pay cuts already imposed.

It would appear that the teachers will reject the reforms. Where can the government go now? They made a reasonable offer which the union leaders agreed to. If this is thrown back at the government then what are they to do?

It would appear that the teachers will reject the reforms. Where can the government go now? They made a reasonable offer which the union leaders agreed to. If this is thrown back at the government then what are they to do?
Lisbon 2?

Union leaders are insiders, they just play the game.
  • Make all sorts of concilliatory noises in negotiations with the guys who've been scratching their backs for the last 10 years.
  • Make the deal the senior civil servants and politicos want but they know will be rejected by their members.
  • And when it is go back into new negotiations with their buddies without losing face.
Everyone's a weiner. Roll up, roll up.

Well if they are free to reject it but like the Aer Lingus cabin crew, they have to realise that there are consequences. They keep mentioning the phrase 'industrial relations war'. Well at this stage, bring it on. The Government will have my full support.

What is likely is that some public sector unions will reject it and some will accept it.
Where I work, there may be 4 or 5 different unions representing staff so there could be difficulties if only one of these unions put a picket on the workplace. Or if one grade was trying to implement reforms and other grades were not cooperating because they rejected the deal.
It's going to get messy.

Well so far only the TUI have rejected - is this correct?

I'll probably be accused of being a cold capitalist or something, but who cares if they reject it? They only have 15,000 members. It's not like the entire education system is poised to collapse because of them.

If one union rejects it and puts a picket in place will members of other unions who accept it pass the picket?

If one union rejects it and puts a picket in place will members of other unions who accept it pass the picket?

When the CPSU held a one day strike after the pension levy last year, Impact members in my workplace were instructed it was accpetable for them to go to work on that day as they were not on strike but I know a lot of people were not comfortable with that. I suppose a lot of people do not like passing a picket, particularly if their colleagues are on it.

Back